European Youth Chess Championships 2013

National developments, strategies and ideas.
LawrenceCooper

Re: European Youth Chess Championships 2013

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:16 pm

Jim Wadsworth wrote:overall score for the girls 26 from 45, so 58%. All of them on 50% (4.5 points) or better. Excellent to see.
Seconded :D

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:40 pm

[quote=" Leonard Barden
So even though, allowing for age and different boy/girl yardsticks, Akshaya is the most promising junior we have in England, [/quote]

We have plenty of promising Chess Juniors under 16 Akshaya is just one of them. Unless your just talking about female junior chess players?

I like to see many of these players who took part in this event go again next year or the worlds if possible. I am convinced with more FIDE match games we would win a medal.Those who scored well in this event should be helped to go to more events.I am sure those from other nations play more match games thus giving them an advantage over our juniors.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Jim Wadsworth

Post by Jim Wadsworth » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:33 pm

final result in: Peter B drew in just under 6 hours - he tried to force a win but couldn't quite find a way through.

One last team meeting shortly, then we are off to the closing ceremony to watch Akshaya collect her prize for her fantastic 4th place. Then tomorrow morning (in some cases extremely early tomorrow morning) we all start our journies home after what has been a very well-run event in a very beautiful country.

PS paternal pride requires me to note that Matthew finished 6th= on score and 12th on tiebreak
Last edited by Jim Wadsworth on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:44 pm

Jim Wadsworth wrote:final result in: Peter B drew in just under 6 hours - he tried to force a win but couldn't quite find a way through.

One last team meeting shortly, then we are off to the closing ceremony to watch Akshaya collect her prize for her fantastic 4th place. Then tomorrow morning (in some cases extremely early tomorrow morning) we all start our journies home after what has been a very well-run event in a very beautiful country.

PS paternal pride requires me to note that Matthew finished 4th= on score and 12th on tiebreak
Many thanks for all the updates. One day a tie-break may benefit an English player :oops:

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:47 pm

Congratulations to all! Super individual and team result - becoming stronger and stronger with each passing year - well done indeed to everyone involved!

Jim Wadsworth

Post by Jim Wadsworth » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:25 am

Jim Wadsworth wrote:PS paternal pride requires me to note that Matthew finished 6th= on score and 12th on tiebreak
Edited to correct my inability to count to 6 last night, and a second time to fix the quotes....still proud!
Last edited by Jim Wadsworth on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:25 am

Thanks for the updates Jim. Much appreciated for those of us unable to dedicate too much time to the live games, etc. and very well done to our juniors!! We need a thumbs up smiley...
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Jim Wadsworth

Post by Jim Wadsworth » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:34 am

Final individual scores as follows:

Player Total
Akshaya Kalaiyalahan 7
Matthew Wadsworth 6.5
Ravi Haria 5.5
Sacha Brozel 5
Brian Tarhon 5
Charlie McLaren 5
Akito Oyama 5
Anita Somton 5
Cosima Keen 5
William Claridge-Hansen 4.5
Adam A Taylor 4.5
Laura Davidson 4.5
Amy Hoare 4.5
Alex Golding 4
Adam C Taylor 4
Peter Andreev 4
Peter Batchelor 4
Oskar Anton Hackner 4
Harry Grieve 3.5
John Fraser 3.5
Rufus Duff 3.5
David Redman 3
Jude Lenier 2.5

Overall team score slightly better than 50%. Full details at http://chess-results.com/tnr106043.aspx ... =30&wi=984.

My thanks to the players, parents, coaches, local organisers and hotel staff, and our supporters back home.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:57 am

Morning All

I was surprised to read this on the ECF Junior page "I noticed that a few of the children were already coming out of the playing hall – they cut lonely figures and some of them were in tears – they were obviously disappointed with their play"

When I went with Peter twice i never see any one cry because their lost a chess game.

Looking at the results the players did rather well so should be very proud of their hard earned points.Its only a lack of top level match practice that stopped them from winning a medal and for others to score a few more match points.Other nations Juniors play a lot more match games.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:44 am

More allegations of corruption were cited on the Chessdom and Susan Polgar blog site today and I've given the text below which appear to come from the local Montenegro chess community. In case you're wondering what NGO "Potez" is, so am I. All I know is that this is a non-governmental organisation apparently which cites as its overall objective that it is to contribute to transparency, accountability and efficiency of the local governments in Montenegro, through evaluating the work in municipalities and offering analytical data to the local government institutions, state institutions and civil society organizations.

Scandal in Montenegro – Players and clubs accuse Federation President Sakotic Oct 8, 2013

Open letter by Montenegro chess clubs and national players (published in “Sahovska Hronika” newsletter):

The European Youth Chess Championship were opened in Budva, Montenegro, on 28th September, and will continue until 9th October. In the same city the European Youth Rapid and Blitz Championships were held on 24-27th September.

It is a great honour for all chess players, and for the country itself, that the Montenegro Chess Federation was awarded with organization of the prestigious events.

The purpose of this letter, however, is not the promotion of the event, but rather an attempt to inform the public about a reasonable suspicion that the Championships are misused to provide financial benefit for NGO “Potez” from Niksic and NGO “Centar za razvoj šaha” from Belgrade, both being front for the incumbent Montenegro Chess Federation President Vladimir Sakotic.

(ed.Sakotic is also Executive Director in European Chess Union)

Instead of having the Federation securing considerable funds from the organization of these, highly profitable, events, the funds are being transferred in non-transparent and illegal manner to the mentioned NGOs.

Stunned and outraged members of the below-signed chess clubs are calling on state authorities to investigate the whole case, given that the Board of Directors and Supervisory Board of MCF did not react in time, although they were informed on all controversial aspects of the business and the obvious conflict of interest with the President Vladimir Sakotic and member of the Board Miodrag Prijovic who, along with the positions in the Federation and at the same time, the former informally, and the latter officially, run the NGO “Potez” (before the Championships virtually unknown to the public).

By the contract signed without decision of the Board and without open tender, all rights for the organization of both Championships were transferred from the MCF to NGO “Potez” for a fee of 25,000 EUR.

During the tournament close to 2,000 young chess players and their companions will stay in Budva, counting for more than 20,000 overnight stays at very high prices (from 46 to 69 euros), of which a significant portion goes to the organizer (the exact amount can not be determined without look at the contract with the hotel, which is not presented to the MCF Board). In addition, all participants pay a hefty entry fee, and there are other sources of income (transport, organizational dues, sponsors …), and the profit is likely to exceed the amount of EUR 200,000.

Having this information in mind, it is clear that the Federation will receive only a minor share of the profits, while most of the profits end up with NGO “Potez” and people associated with it. It is unacceptable that an NGO earns enormous funds, and that a large part of the profits remain unaccounted for, and therefore untaxed, while the Federation receives only 25,000 EUR by the letter of an illegal contract.

It is also controversial the fact that participants from Serbia made payments in RSD through the NGO “Centar za razvoj šaha” from Belgrade, where the executive director is wife of MCF President Sakotic (ed. Jasna Sakotic), which is another case of apparent conflict of interest. Part of this money will never get to Montenegro, and it is unclear who and when decided to involve the other NGO in the project.

We believe that these actions are illegal and immoral, and particularly unfair to the MCF, the Montenegrin young chess players and parents and after all to our country. It is well known that the financial situation of the Chess Federation is uncertain. With the organization of the European Youth we had a possibility to secure the Federation funding for the next couple of years.

These funds are spilling into private pockets in an impertinent manner in front of the public eyes. We call on the state authorities to investigate our suspicions and to prevent any illegal acts.

Signed by:
Å K Mimoza Tivat
Å K Rumija Bar
ŠK Ljubomir Đurđić Bijelo Polje
ŠK Bijela Krušo Niskogradnja
Å K Herceg Novi
GM Nikola Đukić
GM Milan Draško
IM Blažo Kalezić

Ed.
Earlier this summer the Serbian Chess Federation was only a passive observer of the European Women’s Chess Championship, which was actually organized by “Centar za razvoj šaha” and its director Jasna Sakotic.

According to the files posted on the Federation website, “Centar za razvoj šaha” charged 11,000 EUR for renting 30 DGT boards to the organization. The same service in EU costs 1500 EUR.