Page 1 of 3
Request to temporarily suspend the forum
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:26 pm
by Neville Belinfante
Dear Carl and Jack
May I respectfully request that you close down the forum for this afternoon. The reason is Akshaya Kalaiyalahan is playing live in the final round of the European Youth Chess Championships Under 12 Girls section which starts in a few minute.
Everyone who wants the best for English chess is required to watch her final game to show her your support. To post on the forum while the round is in progress is showing disrespect to all the players who have played their hearts out for the last two weeks. Hence the request.
Thanks in advance if this request is accepted.
Regards
Neville Belinfante
Re: Request to temporarily suspend the forum
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:32 pm
by Greg Breed
Hi Neville,
With all due respect to you and the hard working juniors playing their hearts out in the final round of the European Youth Chess Championships I don't see why leaving the forum open would disrespect any of them. I am at work and I am able during a few quiet moments to browse the forum and occasionally post. What I cannot do is watch an entire game (or games of chess) whilst working!
Re: Request to temporarily suspend the forum
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:33 pm
by Andrew Bak
Neville Belinfante wrote:Dear Carl and Jack
May I respectfully request that you close down the forum for this afternoon. The reason is Akshaya Kalaiyalahan is playing live in the final round of the European Youth Chess Championships Under 12 Girls section which starts in a few minute.
Everyone who wants the best for English chess is required to watch her final game to show her your support. To post on the forum while the round is in progress is showing disrespect to all the players who have played their hearts out for the last two weeks. Hence the request.
Thanks in advance if this request is accepted.
Regards
Neville Belinfante
Is this serious?!
Re: Request to temporarily suspend the forum
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:50 pm
by Carl Hibbard
I have made the post a global announcement so hard to miss and this will have to be sufficient.
Re: Request to temporarily suspend the forum
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:57 pm
by David Sedgwick
During this afternoon I shall be:
1. Writing my long overdue Report for Council (Sorry, everyone.)
2. Keeping an eye on the Forum.
3. Keeping an eye on the game.
I'm not the most technocompetent of people, but I know how to open more than one window on my computer at the same time.
Re: Request to temporarily suspend the forum
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:14 pm
by Peter D Williams
Neville Belinfante wrote:Dear Carl and Jack
May I respectfully request that you close down the forum for this afternoon. The reason is Akshaya Kalaiyalahan is playing live in the final round of the European Youth Chess Championships Under 12 Girls section which starts in a few minute.
Everyone who wants the best for English chess is required to watch her final game to show her your support. To post on the forum while the round is in progress is showing disrespect to all the players who have played their hearts out for the last two weeks. Hence the request.
Thanks in advance if this request is accepted.
Regards
Neville Belinfante
How can it be disrespectful to post on a chess forum. So long as you don't say anything bad about the juniors i can not see what the problem is.I am watching the Akshaya game and posting on here mind you i never do what i am told
For the record sorry to hear you have resigned always found you to be a fair type of person and you have given up a lot of your time to help with various chess events.I am sure the new Junior director which should now be Lawrence will want your advice so i doubt your escape from the chess quite as easy as you may hope.
Time for a Cappuccino
Re: Request to temporarily suspend the forum
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:23 pm
by John Upham
I have more than one monitor and am able to observe more than one web site plus email plus process photographs plus code PHP plus answer the telephone plus...
I am repeatedly told that multitasking is easier for one gender compared with the other nonetheless.
Re: Request to temporarily suspend the forum
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:45 pm
by PeterTurland
Neville Belinfante wrote:Dear Carl and Jack
May I respectfully request that you close down the forum for this afternoon. The reason is Akshaya Kalaiyalahan is playing live in the final round of the European Youth Chess Championships Under 12 Girls section which starts in a few minute.
Everyone who wants the best for English chess is required to watch her final game to show her your support. To post on the forum while the round is in progress is showing disrespect to all the players who have played their hearts out for the last two weeks. Hence the request.
Thanks in advance if this request is accepted.
Regards
Neville Belinfante
A link to watch the girl, would make more sense than your request!
Re: Request to temporarily suspend the forum
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:49 pm
by LawrenceCooper
PeterTurland wrote:
A link to watch the girl, would make more sense than your request!
http://www.budva2013.org/live/d/tfd.htm
Re: Request to temporarily suspend the forum
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:32 pm
by PeterTurland
Thanks for that Loz, according to my silicon monster, she is ahead by a nose.
Re: Request to temporarily suspend the forum
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:02 pm
by Colin Patterson
Anyone know what the final few moves were? Good game and result ... is that a share of bronze medal? Or do they use tie-breaks?
Re: Request to temporarily suspend the forum
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:05 pm
by LawrenceCooper
Colin Patterson wrote:Anyone know what the final few moves were? Good game and result ... is that a share of bronze medal? Or do they use tie-breaks?
I suspect that she will miss out on tie-break, still very proud of her though.
Re: Request to temporarily suspend the forum
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:08 pm
by Colin Patterson
Thanks. Yes, great performance. Remaining moves are now up.
Re: Request to temporarily suspend the forum
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:07 pm
by Geoff Chandler
It is kind of odd to ask for the whole forum to be closed.
We log on to see who is arguing with who this week and see.......
SITE CLOSED - JUNOR GAME IN PROGRESS.
Perhaps a request to pull any mention of the game would have been granted.
I know some of the lads on here like to reveal what they (or to be more exact)
what their computers can see but often as not these live comments during live
games are total gibberish.
"Hey...Rb1...what about Rb1?"
No diagram, no move number, just: "Hey...Rb1...what about Rb1?"
I don't find this disrespectful to the players actually playing,
a total waste of time yes, but not disrespectful.
If it was felt the junior player was perhaps worried about the game going live then could
they not have asked the organisers to pull it and play on a normal board?
Technical point raised?
Can you refuse to play on a live board if you do not want to?
I know it happened in Scotland a while back and the player's request was granted.
Right I'm off to have my tea.
Carl can you please close down the Forum so the lads cannot discuss what I may
or may not be having. Thank You.
Re: Request to temporarily suspend the forum
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:26 pm
by Colin Patterson
Hey ... pie and chips ... what about pie and chips?