Page 1 of 3
England U-18 World Championship Trials
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:49 am
by John Upham
The England U-18 World Championship Trials took place on March 7-8, 2009.
Does anyone know the outcomes?
I believe James Adair had a superb result but am not sure where to locate the details.
I was hoping that the ECF site would have had results....
Re: England U-18 World Championship Trials
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:02 am
by Brent Smith
Results for Berkshire players can be found at the reliably parochial BJCA website -
http://www.bjca.org.uk/results.php?eid=1278
Sadly, not all results for junior chess tournaments are published. I can't find anything about this year's South of England Championships for example.
Re: England U-18 World Championship Trials
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:10 am
by John Upham
Brent Smith wrote:
Sadly, not all results for junior chess tournaments are published. I can't find anything about this year's South of England Championships for example.
Joe French has all of the results at his fingertips...
[email protected], 01256-472537
Re: England U-18 World Championship Trials
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:47 am
by Leonard Barden
It is really a shame that the ECF is so poor and slow in posting important junior results. Instead of referring to Mr French's email and telephone why not persuade him to give the results to the ECF website? After all under the new regime the South of England championships are one of the official qualifying competitions leading to selection for the world youth champiosnhips.
In contrast the ECF alternate International Director, Lawrence Cooper, is doing an exemplary job with his detailed weekly postings of the latest international results by England players.
Re: England U-18 World Championship Trials
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:51 am
by Brent Smith
Joe French has all of the results at his fingertips...
[email protected], 01256-472537
I may ask Joe (who, bless him, is not the most wired-up of people), but I suspect that the Berks crowd did Swindon rather than Yateley this year. Normally, someone who played would let me know their results.
I know I'm a bit OTT on the number of results on the Berks Junior website, but I'd still like to see results for the bigger junior events on the web somewhere (I just noticed Leonard's post above, and he clearly feels the same). Perhaps there's a need for a
www.englishjuniorchessresults.com site.
Re: England U-18 World Championship Trials
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:23 pm
by John Upham
I am grateful to several sources for providing this top secret information :
World Trial Winners, 2009
U 18 Boys James Adair
U16 Boys Yang Fan Zhou
U14 Boys Felix Ynojosa
U12 Boys James Bowler
U10 Boys Ravi Haria
U18 Girls Katie Hale
U16 Girls Astghik Stepanyan
U14 Girls Radha Jain
U12 Girls Natasha Bogoda
U10 Girls Anna Wang
Re: England U-18 World Championship Trials
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:29 pm
by andrew martin
Detailed results from Yateley can be found in the March 2009 ' Right Move', downloadable from this site.
Results from the World Trials will be published in the upcoming April number
Andrew
Re: England U-18 World Championship Trials
Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:04 am
by Brent Smith
andrew martin wrote:Detailed results from Yateley can be found in the March 2009 ' Right Move', downloadable from this site.
Results from the World Trials will be published in the upcoming April number
Andrew
Thanks for the pointer Andrew. There <I>were</I> a couple of Berks players in there after all - I shall be asking questions as to why I wasn't told
Were there only two sections (U10 Closed, and U12 Closed)? No Open sections, or older or younger age groups? The entry numbers were small enough to make reading the results not a problem, but any reason why they are sorted by PIN, rather than final position?
It would still be nice to see all the results for these events, which are part of the JRT GP. Wilts have published the West of England results, and London Juniors are available (very quickly, IIRC).
Re: England U-18 World Championship Trials
Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:18 am
by Leonard Barden
The Yateley U14 results are in Rightmove, Brent, but you have to scroll further down the text to find them.
Re: England U-18 World Championship Trials
Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:48 pm
by Brent Smith
Ah yes, so they are. I confess I did not read all the way to the bottom. At the risk of repeating myself, it's still not an ideal way to publish results in this day and age. If others agree, I would be happy to put some work in on a website / database of results, based on the work I did for the Berks junior one (
www.bjca.org.uk)
Re: England U-18 World Championship Trials
Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:39 pm
by John Upham
Brent Smith wrote:Ah yes, so they are. I confess I did not read all the way to the bottom. At the risk of repeating myself, it's still not an ideal way to publish results in this day and age. If others agree, I would be happy to put some work in on a website / database of results, based on the work I did for the Berks junior one (
http://www.bjca.org.uk)
Brent,
Might I suggest that you discuss this with Duncan Burbidge,
[email protected] ??
We have discussed a major revamp the ECFs Internet offerings and an aggregated Junior results service would be an excellent addition.
Just a thought?
Re: England U-18 World Championship Trials
Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:53 am
by Leonard Barden
Having waited patiently for the April Rightmove and just viewed it, I find it very disappointing that only the bare names of the winners (already provided earlier in this thread) are published, in contrast to the acres of space given over to the junior 4NCL.
Andrew Martin and the junior director, why haven't you published the full crosstables or at least a list of all entrants and their final scores, which is the minimum one should expect from a world championship qualifier? Followers of junior chess should be able to see how competitive (or otherwise) the entry was, who failed and who didn't play. The ECF website also still doesn't even give the winners, let alone the full required information.
This leaves a poor impression.
Re: England U-18 World Championship Trials
Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:37 pm
by Mike Truran
Leonard
Claire Summerscale put in a great deal of effort to produce the comprehensive Junior 4NCL reports that Andrew was able to include in the magazine with little or no editing. No doubt Peter Purland as ECF junior director could have done something similar if he had been so minded.
Re: England U-18 World Championship Trials
Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:39 pm
by Mike Truran
............and while on the subject, maybe a vote of thanks to Claire for her excellent Junior 4NCL reports would be in order............
Re: England U-18 World Championship Trials
Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:40 pm
by andrew martin
Responding to Leonard I publish what I am given.
I am not disposed to alter or abbreviate any report unless absolutely necessary.
The junior 4ncl is an exciting new development and deserves full recognition.
Please write to me if you wish anything discussed in the magazine.
Best Wishes, Andrew