Kick-starting chess

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Neill Cooper

Re: Kick-starting chess

Post by Neill Cooper » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:28 pm

adam_hunt wrote:Starting a chess ladder or introducing a rating system is a good way of motivating them to come to the club sessions. (Rating system better but requires more work!)
I've been amazed at the effect of introducing a ladder. Chess club has always been popular with year 7s, but this year I've had to extend to two classrooms, and year 10 and 12s have also joined. Its been even more popular than UK Chess Challenge - already over 50 members.

Michele Clack

Post by Michele Clack » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:05 pm

Rob/ Neill

Thanks for the information on the Onions/Regis books. I was at the Leamington quickplay last Sunday and Chessmaze International had them on their stall. They look excellent and I got a very good price for a set of all 3 plus 'Chess Puzzles in One Move for young players'.

Mike Davies

Post by Mike Davies » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:37 pm

Scott Freeman wrote:The following might also be of interest:
http://www.championsleaguechess.co.uk
http://www.englishchesschallenge.co.uk
Broken link on the entry form for the english chess challenge - don't know if you know anything? We're also thinking of entering the National Schools Chess Championship - is this worthwhile if we're just starting up, or will we just get beaten?

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:03 pm

Mike Davies wrote:Broken link on the entry form for the english chess challenge - don't know if you know anything? We're also thinking of entering the National Schools Chess Championship - is this worthwhile if we're just starting up, or will we just get beaten?
Swindon would be a bit far for CCF Champions League Chess - and it is only primary school age.
Do enter the much larger UK Chess Challenge rather than English Chess Challenge.

National Schools. Now the entry price is much lower it could be worth a go. Will you get any other competitive inter-school matches?
However, last year the National Schools only had 1 Swindon school playing (Churchfields School). They were in a Knock-out zone with:
Winchester College (A team) - reach national finals of the plate tournament
Thornden School, Chandlers Ford
Churchfields School, Swindon
Wellington College (A team) Zone Champions - then National Champions
Wellington College (B team)
Yateley Manor School (B team)
[See http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/schoolschamps.htm]

So could you travel that sort of distance if needed? (Though there were entries from Reading, Worcester, possibly other's I would not spot. Also there may be more Swindon schools this year.)
Would you mind losing to a local Primary School?