European Youth Team Chess Championships 2016

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Jim Wadsworth

Re: European Youth Team Chess Championships 2016

Post by Jim Wadsworth » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:37 pm

Adam just lost a tight one, Akito just won. Pavel fighting on but an exchange down. Matthew a passed pawn down but with counterplay. Playing on his increment as he has been for the last five to ten moves, about three moves to get to the time control.

Jim Wadsworth

Post by Jim Wadsworth » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:51 pm

Matthew just lost. Pavel fighting on R, N & B against 2R and N.

Jim Wadsworth

Post by Jim Wadsworth » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:58 pm

Pavel now N & 3 vs R & 3.

Jim Wadsworth

Post by Jim Wadsworth » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:32 pm

Pavel lost, unfortunately.

So England 1 : Israel 3. Congrats to Israel and especially to Akito - overturning a circa 170 point rating difference.

We will see what the pairings bring for tomorrow....

Jim Wadsworth

Post by Jim Wadsworth » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:15 pm

Pairings for round 2 = Slovenia 'B', with black for us on boards 1 & 3.

No live boards for that match, so I'll do what I can to keep the audience up to date. On paper we outrate the Slovene team, but no complacency - they took three draws off a strong Poland team today.

Signing off for the day to watch the soccer...

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:05 pm

I assume juniors being under-graded and unreliably graded is equally a problem in other countries as it is here?

Jim Wadsworth

Post by Jim Wadsworth » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:47 am

Andrew Bak wrote:I assume juniors being under-graded and unreliably graded is equally a problem in other countries as it is here?
In my limited experience, whilst that problem does exist it is less true at these sorts of events where most of the players are older, are very experienced competitors, and indeed many are titled. That said, I suspect today's Slovenian opponents are likely somewhat under-rated so I will be ensuring that there is no complacency!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:53 am

Andrew Bak wrote:I assume juniors being under-graded and unreliably graded is equally a problem in other countries as it is here?
In my experience this is a peculiarly British obsession, brought about by years of reluctance to submit results for rating.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:36 am

NickFaulks wrote:
In my experience this is a peculiarly British obsession, brought about by years of reluctance to submit results for rating.
As I have said repeatedly, the FIDE requirements of a four hour session and a first time control (if there is one) being after move 40 are significant causes of that "reluctance".

I understand that a leading English chess official is seeking to deal with the first of these by proposing to the Qualification Commission that G/60 should be eligible for rating.

If passed this will have the following benefit:

Either:

a) we shall submit more events for rating and you will stop banging on about us not doing so;

Or:

b) we shall not submit more events for rating and I shall stop banging on about the alleged reason.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:51 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
NickFaulks wrote: In my experience this is a peculiarly British obsession, brought about by years of reluctance to submit results for rating.
As I have said repeatedly, the FIDE requirements of a four hour session and a first time control (if there is one) being after move 40 are significant causes of that "reluctance".
I believe that problem is already on the way to being solved, with far more results from England being submitted for rating than have been in the past. Whether results from quickish games are a reliable guide to playing strength in full length games is a completely separate question. We may have to try it to find out, but it could lead to as big a mess as the snap decision in 2008 to double the k factor for top players. The point about 40 moves is of course well known.

The fact remains that at the last Finance meeting Malcolm Pein stood up and said that having too few FIDE rated events was a concern from his point of view as International Director, and he proposed to attack it by diverting some funds to the encouragement of more. In my opinion a good first step would be to remove the surcharge levied on ECF members who wish to be allowed to play in these events.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:02 am

NickFaulks wrote:
The fact remains that at the last Finance meeting Malcolm Pein stood up and said that having too few FIDE rated events was a concern from his point of view as International Director, and he proposed to attack it by diverting some funds to the encouragement of more.
Weekend events in the MCU, SCCU and EACU are invariably two days only.

These aren't going to be FIDE rated unless any of these happen:-

(a) players over 2200 are excluded (there are already some events which do this)
(b) players will accept potentially 12 hours of play on the Saturday
or
(c) FIDE weaken the minimum notional game length which qualifies for rating.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:20 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: (b) players will accept potentially 12 hours of play on the Saturday
The disappearance of the Friday evening first round, which used to be standard, is certainly a problem. I assume there are good reasons for that.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:31 am

NickFaulks wrote: The disappearance of the Friday evening first round, which used to be standard, is certainly a problem. I assume there are good reasons for that.
If most players are commuting from home, the half hour journey on a Saturday or Sunday could take twice or three times that on a Friday evening.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:34 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
NickFaulks wrote: The disappearance of the Friday evening first round, which used to be standard, is certainly a problem. I assume there are good reasons for that.
If most players are commuting from home, the half hour journey on a Saturday or Sunday could take twice or three times that on a Friday evening.
Venue availability/hire may also be a consideration.

Jim Wadsworth

Post by Jim Wadsworth » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:10 pm

Getting back to the topic, round 2 is underway....as mentioned previously today's match against Slovenia B is not on live boards so I will periodically report in on progress....