"SavetheUKCC" petition

National developments, strategies and ideas.
JustinHorton

Re: "SavetheUKCC" petition

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:39 pm

John Upham wrote: 2. Will the new owners see fit to include MJB and his team in the organisation? (not in any way to do with the finances!)
Since this would necesarily involve Mike Basman not being in charge, how well do you think he will react to that?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:56 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
John Upham wrote: 2. Will the new owners see fit to include MJB and his team in the organisation? (not in any way to do with the finances!)
Since this would necesarily involve Mike Basman not being in charge, how well do you think he will react to that?
I already know since I have been discussing the matter with Mike and others for the last month or so.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:56 pm

I am sure you are, as always, the wisest and most impartial of judges.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:33 pm

JustinHorton wrote:I am sure you are, as always, the wisest and most impartial of judges.

How can you conclude that from my previous statement?

Thanks anyway!

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:28 pm

Hope it works but please don't try the VAT etc through schools plan.

Quite pleased to see where in the country the young people in the schools in the area where I work came in the latest results tables

Andrew Varney

Post by Andrew Varney » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:38 am

John Swain wrote:
John Upham wrote:
Andrew Martin wrote:Has anyone any news at all as to whether the UKCC will run in 2017?

I'm confident UKCC will go ahead. The variables are:

1. Who will be the new owners?
2. Will the new owners see fit to include MJB and his team in the organisation? (not in any way to do with the finances!)

If the owners choose No as the answer to 2. then it could easily fail.

If they wisely choose Yes then UKCC could easily prosper and grow to something more successful then we've been used to.
It's good news that the UKCC is likely to continue in 2017.

I hope that "UKCC mark II" will give some serious thought to the contents of the box which is sent out to secondary schools. Badges are fine, perhaps even gold spots to stick on them, but something needs to be found more appropriate than cuddly mascots (fine for those of primary school age but seen as naff by older children).
My experience is quite different. The mascots (and the rosettes in the later stages) are highly sought after, even by the older children. Those who have been taking part in the UKCC for a number of years are often keen to collect key ones that they are missing. I don't think the prizes (apart from cash in some cases) are the main drivers for the children taking part in secondary school years, but they are appreciated.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:03 pm

I find UKCC very useful in promoting chess in my secondary school. About 120 take part. Many enjoy the mascots, badges etc as markers of achievement. Others ignore them.
The real problem for some of my pupils is the date of the Megafinals being so close to public exams (A levels and GCSEs). From Wilson's five Upper sixth graded over 120 qualified, but only one played. Seven year 11 graded over 85 qualified, but only one played. More would have played if the qualifying was in the Autumn term and the Megafinals were in the spring term. One year Mike did run a secondary school version of UKCC with that schedule but did not repeat it, presumably due to too few entries.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:53 pm

Neill Cooper wrote:I find UKCC very useful in promoting chess in my secondary school. About 120 take part. Many enjoy the mascots, badges etc as markers of achievement. Others ignore them.
The real problem for some of my pupils is the date of the Megafinals being so close to public exams (A levels and GCSEs). From Wilson's five Upper sixth graded over 120 qualified, but only one played. Seven year 11 graded over 85 qualified, but only one played. More would have played if the qualifying was in the Autumn term and the Megafinals were in the spring term. One year Mike did run a secondary school version of UKCC with that schedule but did not repeat it, presumably due to too few entries.
Was this ever raised with Mike Basman and did he ever give a response? I would have thought that running the event in the Autumn term is fine if you have an established school chess club but less ideal for those who need the time to start one.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Andrew Martin

Re: "SavetheUKCC" petitions

Post by Andrew Martin » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:13 pm

I saw Mike Basman today at Wey Valley chess training and we had a long chat. He was in good spirits, looked a little drawn, but in pretty robust health. I was very happy to see that.

We discussed the future of the challenge. I'm very optimistic now that the event will continue. We will find out one way or another very soon.

Mike is one of a kind, an eccentric, a man with many unique ideas. I have a lot of admiration for him. His contribution to chess among young people has been remarkable.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:05 pm

I think everyone here will be happy to hear that Mike seemed in good health etc as his positive contribution to junior chess has never been an issue. The chess world needs entrepreneurial people with 'unique ideas'. The one problem is that, occasionally, their 'unique ideas' are somewhat misguided (and that's not intended as a criticism - most of us have misguided beliefs from time to time) when another, potentially fatal, characteristic is failure to take or listen to outside advice - which is what seems to have happened here over the VAT issue. There's probably a lesson there which I don't need to spell out.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:28 pm

" another, potentially fatal, characteristic is failure to take or listen to outside advice"

I submit that this is something which a very large number of chess players do!

But you are right of course.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:45 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:another, potentially fatal, characteristic is failure to take or listen to outside advice - which is what seems to have happened here over the VAT issue.
Why would you say so? There's no reason to think he didn't understand his obligations, he just chose to ignore them. Certainly I'm not aware of anything he has said that would contradict that view.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:18 pm

Justin - No discourtesy intended but I'm not clear that we are in disagreement in the first place and, even if there is a difference in emphasis, even less clear that others will thank us for going to any lengths in trying to identify it.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:45 am

A number of bids have been registered in compliance with the deadline.

A veritable potpourri of names from the English and Welsh chess scenes have created teams of investors.

It would have been interesting to take the business model into Dragon's Den!

Some bidders have been asked to revise their bids.

There is a range of investors some of whom clearly are supporters of junior chess, some are more commercially minded and looking to grow the business.

We await the deliberations of the trustee following the revised bids.

At least two former British Champions are involved.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:28 am

I assumed Malcom and CSC would take it on?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard