"SavetheUKCC" petition

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Michael Farthing

Re: "SavetheUKCC" petition

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:27 pm

JustinHorton wrote: Clarity in a world of too many ambiguities, John.
How boring!

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:38 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
John Upham wrote:
JustinHorton wrote:So I'm confused. Is he going or is he staying?

What would you prefer?
Clarity in a world of too many ambiguities, John.
In what way(s) do the options (involved / not involved) impact on yourself?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:43 pm

In the way that I would be sure where I previously was not.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:37 pm

Andrew Varney

Post by Andrew Varney » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:43 am

Message from Mike Basman:

“Dear colleagues, As you know I was bankrupted and the Chess Challenge sold off at a profit of £40,000 going to HMRC. But HMRC wants now the sell the house, occupied by my ex-wife, to realise half the price which will mean that she is evicted even though she is elderly and quite unwell. I do not believe that she should suffer because of the mistakes of another person, especially as she has no financial involvement with me. Accordingly, I am starting a campaign to raise awareness of this situation

WESTMINSTER CHESS CHALLENGE

Each Wednesday (starting on 25th January), from 12 noon to 5 pm, I will be outside the Houses of Parliament with a chess board and will challenge all comers. It will be called the Westminster Chess Challenge and each of my opponents will receive a signed certificate plus the record of their game against the International Chess Master at this historic site of British liberties. I will be challenging members of the House of Lords and House of Commons Chess Clubs to come out and face me and I will play them blindfolded.

I am hoping that members of the chess community and my friends among the chess masters and grandmasters will also come to the event and take up the challenge. Essentially it is a matter of fairness. I disagreed strongly with the behaviour of HMRC, but even more so, I would not like another person to suffer for a dispute in with which they had no connection. Thank you. Mike Basman”

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:01 am

Only just noticed comprehensive article on UKCC and VAT in Sunday Times 22 Jan. Money section page 5. It mentions that Mike Basman will be giving a blindfold simul at the Houses of Parliament on Wed. 25 Jan.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:08 am

The Canadian forum has posted the complete Sunday Times article.

http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthread.p ... e-tax-bill

There's something that doesn't quite add up. Assuming the property in question is the one in Chessington, that's been Mike Basman's address for decades, doesn't he live there as well?

Comments on the Canadian thread go on to mention the equivalent Canadian tax and that national bodies have to pay it on entry fees, once they are above a turnover limit.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:22 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: There's something that doesn't quite add up. Assuming the property in question is the one in Chessington, that's been Mike Basman's address for decades, doesn't he live there as well?
No he does not. He has a "manufactured home" located elsewhere.

It IS the postal address for Audio Chess which still has a wide and varied stock of audio cassettes.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:11 am

A quick Google found this:-

http://www.shareamortgage.com/news/shar ... nkrupt-419

It does appear that if someone is made bankrupt and has joint ownership of a property, the Trustee in Bankruptcy can attempt to realise a half share of the property. If the other owner(s) don't want to sell and cannot raise buy out funds, that's tough.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:46 am

The 2 things I say to clients about joint property ownership is to consider what happens if the joint owner becomes bankrupt or gets divorced

A good divorce lawyer would have covered this point when advising Mrs Basman
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:55 am

Mick Norris wrote:
I'm not clear if they were divorced, separated or estranged. Some refer to divorced when then technically they mean something else.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:20 pm

John Upham wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:
I'm not clear if they were divorced, separated or estranged. Some refer to divorced when then technically they mean something else.
You don't have to be getting divorced to see a matrimonial lawyer; there are separation agreements as well as divorce agreements; in any event, the sensible course would have been to take legal advice, not blame the Trustee in Bankruptcy if they didn't

From the taxpayers perspective, talking generally rather than about a specific case, you'd hope that HMRC were successful in obtaining the proceeds they are legally entitled to
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:33 pm

This is all unclear. Mike refers to HMRC wanting to sell the house "to realise half the price". If I understand the meaning of this correctly, it means HMRC wants to sell Mike's half-share of the house. If that's correct, my guess is that the second half is owned by the ex-wife. If that's also true, my interpretation of the law is that - since the former Mrs Basman would remain owner of half of the house, she cannot be simply evicted. Unfortunately, and not for the first time in this saga, the facts are not clear and outsiders are left to do some guesswork to deduce what's really happening.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:38 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote: If that's also true, my interpretation of the law is that - since the former Mrs Basman would remain owner of half of the house, she cannot be simply evicted.
I rather suspect the legal position is that unless half the value of the house can be raised in some manner, that in these circumstances, the whole house is sold. Hence the dire warnings about the perils of joint ownership of an asset with someone who has been made bankrupt.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:49 pm

It depends on the form of joint ownership:

https://www.gov.uk/joint-property-ownership/overview

But really, people should know better than to discuss this sort of matter which should be kept private. Carl had to lock an earlier thread, and if there is too much speculation in this thread, that might happen again.