European Schools Chess Championship 2017

National developments, strategies and ideas.
John Higgs

Re: European Schools Chess Championship 2017

Post by John Higgs » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:45 pm

Round 8 report by Malcolm Birks:

"Oh no....I don't believe he played that!" said Meri in horror. "He's forgotten The Mantra" said Charlie referring to his pet principles of chess.

We were watching Joe's 8th round game on a laptop at a cafe outside the playing hall. After fifteen moves it looked like Joe's position was lost. Then, bit by bit, there was a shift. A turnaround slowly took place. More and more people gathered round the screen. Could it really happen? Yes! Bang! Mate for Joe! Wow! It had been a heart-stopping, exhilarating ride. It was, truly, the magic of chess!

Soon after, there were great wins too for Aarnavh and Dhruv, putting them on 4.5/8 and 5.5/8 respectively. Then Calum emerged victorious after a marathon game, having showed incredible mental endurance. Tim, Amy and Samuel also earned very creditable draws.

With only one round to go, the team are gearing up for the last push and an early morning start. A couple of players are still in contention for the medal places and there's lots still to play for.

Happy Father's Day!
"I'm not the one who got it wrong. I'm the only one who got it right". Carrie Mathison.

John Higgs

Re: European Schools Chess Championship 2017

Post by John Higgs » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:47 pm

Round 9 report by Malcolm Birks:

The black Bishop has been found! Long live the black Bishop! What a relief, and in time for the last round too. Did I mention I was superstitious?

The final round was due to start at 9.30am so prep was needed for most of the team from 7am. In the case of coach Meri's group, it was 6.30am.

"That's nothing" said Aarnavh who's used to early morning starts for top-notch swimming training. He followed this up by winning his last game, ending on 5.5/9 for the tournament - an excellent achievement. For Dhruv and Joe, it was a bridge too far as they both lost tight games. Joe was left in joint 6th; a win would have put him 1st - fine margins indeed!

Samuel finished with a win and a score of 5/9 - a great performance in his first international tournament. There were wins too for Zoha and Amy, as well as Keerthana and Abbey (who both finished on an excellent 5/9).

Overall, the team feel a great deal of satisfaction at their performance. Against tough opposition, there have been many great wins and lots of complex, interesting games. Huge amounts has been learned by the players and they all return home strengthened and enthused.

A great many people helped to make this trip and tournament happen, including key figures at the ECF (thanks to Traci, Gary, Christelle & Andrew), the ECU, the Montenegro Chess Association and the parents of the players would like to extend their gratitude to them all.

And so on to the next tournament.........

Just make sure you don't lose any pieces!
"I'm not the one who got it wrong. I'm the only one who got it right". Carrie Mathison.