European Schools Chess Championship 2017

National developments, strategies and ideas.
John Higgs

European Schools Chess Championship 2017

Post by John Higgs » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:19 am

The European Schools Chess Championship starts on Sunday 11th June - the venue is Budva in Montenegro.

The event is a 9 round FIDE rated tournament for U7s through to U17s - it concludes on Monday 19th June.

The England delegation is 12 players and 3 coaches. The team can be viewed at http://englishchess.org.uk/Juniors/escc ... -the-team/

The event website is http://www.euroschools2017.me

The chess-results link for our delegation is http://www.chess-results.com/tnr280191. ... =30&wi=984

Latest news, photographs etc can be seen via the twitter feed : @ECFJuniors2017

No twitter account? You can follow the twitter feed via this link https://mobile.twitter.com/ECFJuniors2017

:D
Last edited by John Higgs on Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm not the one who got it wrong. I'm the only one who got it right". Carrie Mathison.

John Higgs

Re: European Schools Chess Championship 2017

Post by John Higgs » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:37 pm

John Higgs wrote:The European Schools Chess Championship starts on Sunday 11th June - the venue is Budva in Montenegro.

The event is a 9 round FIDE rated tournament for U7s through to U17s - it concludes on Monday 19th June.

The England delegation is 12 players and 3 coaches. The team can be viewed at http://englishchess.org.uk/Juniors/escc ... -the-team/

The event website is http://www.euroschools2017.me

The chess-results link for our delegation is http://www.chess-results.com/tnr280191. ... =30&wi=984

Latest news, photographs etc can be seen via the ECF juniors twitter feed : @ECFJuniors2017

No twitter account? You can follow the twitter feed via this link https://mobile.twitter.com/ECFJuniors2017

"I'm not the one who got it wrong. I'm the only one who got it right". Carrie Mathison.

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:24 pm

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:01 pm

Round 1 results and round 2 draw:

http://www.chess-results.com/tnr280191. ... =30&wi=984

Round 1 report by Malcolm Birks:

"It's like Pontins!", one member of the team was heard to exclaim and indeed there was certainly more than a whiff of the holiday camp feel at the Slovanska Plaza. Lacking an obvious team room, a nearby restaurant backroom was quickly commandeered to serve as a coaching base and morning prep began in earnest. Following team shirt and ECF badge presentations, the team were ready for the off and a route march to the nearby venue was led by coach Charlie Storey.

On arrival, the team wondered whether they had arrived at the right place, for there was a show going on in the hall, with ballet dancers and a whole series of baton twirlers which delayed the start by half an hour. Finally, safely at their boards and with the gift bags of ceramic hot drink holders and wacky felt pens set to one side, the serious business could commence. There were a series of very good, long games and, back at the hotel, the coaches were left wondering what was going on as they twiddled their thumbs and blitzed against each other in nervous anticipation.

Keerthena and Dhruv made it a family double with two quick wins, Joe played a slightly wild game and won against Thomas Itchy. Samuel's opponent didn't even turn up! Tim Lewis was winning but unfortunately got caught in a trap. Several of the girls played excellent long games but were ground down in the end.

Meanwhile, Calum won against a 2170 rated player catching him with the very last piece of prep he did before starting the game - a great win. Last of all, Aarnavh emerged victorious after four hours of great concentration - a very satisfying conclusion.

So, in summary, a positive start and there was a happy hum back at the post-game analysis centre with Charlie Storey holding court and treating the Slovanska Palace as if he was hustling in Washington Square Park....or maybe it was just Pontins.

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:00 pm

Round 2 results and round 3 draw:

Round 2 report by Malcom Birks:

To watch or not to watch? - that is the question! Every chess parent has this dilemma and especially here where tiered seating rises above the playing area, allowing parents a bird's eye view of proceedings and the children, a clear visual link, for good or ill.

Most of the team parental contingent have chosen to wait outside 'underneath the green umbrellas' of the nearby bar, rather than agonise in the hall. On day two, Abi Weersing quickly came bouncing down the steps with a shining smile - a good start. There were further wins for Joe Birks and Tim Lewis, before Zoha Ashraf emerged blinking into the sunlight, keeping her father on edge until upon reaching him, she broke out into a smile.

Samuel ran into a tough opponent who exploited a bishop pair advantage skillfully. Dhruv had a good position but got tangled up and lost the initiative late on. The wins kept mounting though, with Adam John, Niamh Bridgeman (on her birthday!) and Aarnavh Trivedi reporting further victories.

Then, with the sun setting late on, Keerthana reported a miraculous comeback from a rook and pawn deficit which had the rest of the team gasping in amazement. Eight points out of a possible twelve and the team march on to Day Three in optimistic mood.

Just make sure you don't watch!

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:24 pm

Round 3 results and round 4 draw:

Round 3 report by Malcom Birks:

Are you superstitious?

Because, to my mind, if there is one game that can make you superstitious, it is chess. Day 3 did not start well - we, or should I say I, lost a black bishop - the omens were not good. Chess players (and particularly their parents) will empathise when I say that much, much more trivial things than losing a black bishop can become touchstones for bad karma - the lucky cap, the banana by the board, the pen, or maybe even just the order of simple, tiny events that repeat, a lot, during an international chess tournament.

"Oh get on with the report" I hear you cry. Ok...sorry...I just needed to tell someone.

The big news of the day was that Samuel Gilmore and Amy John won their games - hurray! Samuel played it cool throughout and in the aftermath of victory, with Dad fanning himself vigorously in a corner, was only slightly impressed by Charlie Storey's alternative lines of analysis. There were carefully controlled wins too for Dhruv, Calum and Tim putting them into firm contention in their respective sections. Joe was out rather too quickly for his father's heart rate but a win was confirmed nonetheless.

Long, tough battles were fought by Aarnavh, Zoha, Niamh, Keerthena and Abbey without ultimate profit, but the team are learning and binding through their experiences. Grit and determination are in abundance as they drive onwards to the formidable and defining 'double header' tomorrow.

Fingers crossed!

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:19 am

Round 5 results and round 6 draw:

Today is the rest day. Report on the double-round day held yesterday:

"Keep the tension" Charlie advised.

We were analysing Joe's game in a cafe outside the playing hall, after he had lost. It was hard, it was painful. Watching the game on the live feed from the electronic board had been a heart-stopping roller coaster of emotions.

The day had started at 7am with prep for the morning game, for this was the formidable double round day. There were good wins for Dhruv, Adam, Niamh, Zoha, Abbey and Amy in the morning, along with another long game by Aarnavh which ended in a draw.

The levels of concentration shown by this 9-yr old in this tournament have been extraordinary, with an average of four hours per game.

Further prep followed in the afternoon, before the second round. Walking to the venue, the team now took on the demeanour of battle-hardened veterans. There were quick wins for Joe, Tim, Abbey and Keerthana and draws for Niamh and Adam.

Unfortunately, there was an incident in Samuel's game and appropriate representations to the arbiter were made following the game.

The tension is palpable and not all of is fun.

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:42 pm

Round 6 results and the round 7 draw:

Round 6 report by Malcolm Birks:

"We don't play hope chess" Charlie said.

Hang on...is hope not allowed? Crunching calculation and the remorseless logic of the position, they are the only things than matter apparently. How about faith then? Faith in the position, faith in the game and, most of all, faith in yourself. Yes, you certainly need faith out here. Amidst the tension and edge of raw competition, keeping a handle on yourself and the context and the meaning of it all is important. It's just a game after all...I think.

One of the most interesting aspects of being at an international competition, is observing the different ways in which individual countries approach chess. Many of our best moments as a team have come when our, generally, more dynamic manner of play has confronted the rigid but more disciplined approach of several of the other countries. A true clash of cultures.

Round 6 brought a mixture of fortunes. There were good wins for Joe, Dhruv and Abbey, putting them into contention at the top of their respective sections. Adam, who, to his great credit, is still unbeaten in the competition, handled a tough position to draw.

Aarnavh, yet again, played for four hours for an excellent win. The hot and stuffy conditions unfortunately took their toll on a couple of the England players. Nevertheless, Samuel and Calum held out for creditable draws.

With three rounds to go, the team are in good spirits and there is still lots to play for.

Hope and faith...you've got to hold on to them.

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:57 am

Round 7 report by Malcolm Birks:

Since I lost a black bishop from our chess set, half a tube of Halls Extra Strong throat sweets has been kindly standing in for the divine representative. He is at least black in colour and has proved to be remarkably stable and robust, even in the midst of flying blitz games.

Being strong, even extra strong, is important in these competitions, because the lurking feeling that hangs around in the corners of the playing hall is fear.

Some of the children participating are undoubtedly fearful which is sad and worrying. Fearful of their parents' reaction, fearful of their coaches and fearful of the great expectations upon their small shoulders.

I'm glad to say that I don't think that this applies to the England players in our team, who all seem to have a healthy attitude and supportive parents and coaches. Indeed, a friendly parent from the Israeli delegation kindly observed: "I knew it must be players from the England team because they were smiling".

It was a tough day at the office. Dhruv did well to stubbornly battle for a draw. Samuel pulled off a lovely, controlled win and it was great to see the smile on his face again. The draw threw up an all-England tie in the U9 girls section with Zoha taking on Keerthana and the latter prevailing on this occasion. Niamh also won, bravely carrying on despite a tummy bug. The others lost on this occasion but, nevertheless, there was a still a positive feeling during the post-game analysis sessions.

Nobody had given it away. Everyone had battled bravely without fear.

You can follow the team fortunes via Twitter : @ECFJuniors2017

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:13 pm

Nice win by Joe in the U9's against the number 2 seed to move him at least in to the top 3 with one round left (ignoring any tie break). In the position below his opponent played 0-0 and Joe spotted the winning tactic.

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:33 pm

Round 8 results and round 9 (last round) draw:

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:51 am

Under 9s Round 9 on 2017/06/19 at 09.30

Bo. No. Name Bdld Rtg Pts. Result Pts. Name Bdld Rtg No.
1 4 CM Erten Kerem 1636 6½ 6 Birks Joe H 1262 22
2 10 Dovbnia Nikita 1438 6½ 6 Uritsky Yonathan 1634 5
3 6 Medvedev Matvey 1581 6 5½ Yarar Bora 1522 7
4 2 Kolesov Gordey 1711 5½ 5 Yaurov Egor 1727 1

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:58 am

Follow Joe Birks v CM Kerem Erten (TUR), going for a medal in the U9 boys:

http://euroschools2017.me/cg/live/

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:16 am

Joe is playing very quickly. I'm a bit worried about his king.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.