World Schools Chess Championships 2018

National developments, strategies and ideas.
John Higgs

Re: World Schools Chess Championships 2018

Post by John Higgs » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:16 am

From our Delegation in Albania:

WSCC Round 8:

Round 8 saw some good results for the England team - wins from Kavin, Sohum and Max and draws from Denis and Georgia.

Kavin followed through his preparation well leading to victory. Sohum won quickly and Denis and Georgia fought long and hard leading to draws for them.

Max played a great game resulting in another success for him - well done Max!

Good luck to all players for the last round 9/9 this morning (Sunday).
"I'm not the one who got it wrong. I'm the only one who got it right". Carrie Mathison.

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:28 pm

From our Delegation in Albania:

WSCC Round 9:

Round 9 was the last round of the Championship.

Nadhmi traded pieces to an equal endgame with each player having a Bishop, a Knight and 6 pawns. Ultimately it came down to Nadhmi’s superior pawn structure enabling him to trade off the remaining pieces and queening.

Denis played his longest ever game of over 6 hours and after a rollercoaster game, he settled for a draw. Max and Siena played well and won their games.

The final scores for the England Players are as follows:

Kavin Thooran 5/9 (U9 Boys), Nadhmi Auchi 5/9 (U11 Boys), Denis Dupuis 4.5/9 (U9 Boys), Siena Gurjar 4/9 (U9 Girls), Adam Hussein 4/9 (U13 Boys), Georgia Headlong 4/9 (U13 Girls), Max Miller 4/9 (U15 Boys) and Sohum Lohia 4/9 (U9 Boys).

Well done to all for excellent scores against top players from across the globe! The day finished with watergames and pedalboating and to close the evening off, a blindfold simul by coach FM Adam C Taylor.

Thanks on behalf of all the parents to our fantastic coaches, GM Glenn Flear, GM Johnathan Hawkins and FM Adam C Taylor and also to our Head of Delegation Rejean Dupuis.

Many thanks to Traci (ECF Junior Director) and all the staff at the ECF who supported the team - special mention for Andrew the webmaster - so well both before and during the event.
"I'm not the one who got it wrong. I'm the only one who got it right". Carrie Mathison.

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:06 am

Round 9 results and final player overview:

http://chess-results.com/tnr334480.aspx ... NG&flag=30