Intermediate chess training materials

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Andrew Zigmond

Intermediate chess training materials

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:20 am

Just firing out a question while it's on my mind. Can anybody recommend any resources for what I would call `intermediate` students - these are players who are starting to get a good grasp of the game and play a position well when they understand it but show their inexperience when they don't (we're talking about 65-85 strength if I had to put a figure on it). Anything I can find online is either very basic `find the winning tactic` type stuff or ECF academy style let's examine a master game which is too advanced.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Richard James

Re: Intermediate chess training materials

Post by Richard James » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:39 am

Hi Andrew

You're quite right: there are lots of beginners' books on the market, which sell pretty well, and lots of books for competitive players of all levels, but very little designed to take you from one to the other.

I'm currently writing a series of books aimed at players who have learnt the moves and want to start playing serious competitive chess: up to about grade 100 so possibly what you're looking for.

The first drafts of the first two volumes, on checkmates and tactics, are available in pdf format for anyone who's interested. The next two volumes, on openings and endings, will be completed in first draft by 1st September. Two further volumes, one with a wider variety of tactical puzzles and one with short games in 'How Good is Your Chess' style, are scheduled for completion by 1st September next year.

I've contacted publishers, but no one's interested: I presume they don't see a market for books at this level. I am, however, talking to other organisations who might be interested in using my material in some way.

If you'd like me to send you the checkmates and tactics books, and, when they're ready, the opening and ending books, let me know and I'll be happy to oblige.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:40 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:20 am
Can anybody recommend any resources for what I would call `intermediate` students - these are players who are starting to get a good grasp of the game and play a position well when they understand it but show their inexperience when they don't
How about the old Chernev book "Logical Chess move by move" ?

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:57 pm

Richard James wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:39 am
Hi Andrew

You're quite right: there are lots of beginners' books on the market, which sell pretty well, and lots of books for competitive players of all levels, but very little designed to take you from one to the other.

I'm currently writing a series of books aimed at players who have learnt the moves and want to start playing serious competitive chess: up to about grade 100 so possibly what you're looking for.

The first drafts of the first two volumes, on checkmates and tactics, are available in pdf format for anyone who's interested. The next two volumes, on openings and endings, will be completed in first draft by 1st September. Two further volumes, one with a wider variety of tactical puzzles and one with short games in 'How Good is Your Chess' style, are scheduled for completion by 1st September next year.

I've contacted publishers, but no one's interested: I presume they don't see a market for books at this level. I am, however, talking to other organisations who might be interested in using my material in some way.

If you'd like me to send you the checkmates and tactics books, and, when they're ready, the opening and ending books, let me know and I'll be happy to oblige.
Hi Richard

That would be excellent and much appreciated. As you say, it's a shame that there isn't a market for resources aimed players of intermediate standard.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:58 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:40 am
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:20 am
Can anybody recommend any resources for what I would call `intermediate` students - these are players who are starting to get a good grasp of the game and play a position well when they understand it but show their inexperience when they don't
How about the old Chernev book "Logical Chess move by move" ?
Thanks Roger. I have that book somewhere and I will use it.