World Youth Chess Championship 2018

National developments, strategies and ideas.
John Higgs

World Youth Chess Championship 2018

Post by John Higgs » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:26 am

The World Youth Chess Championship starts on 20th October and runs to 30th October. The event is a 11 round FIDE rated event and is for boys and girls in the U14, U16 & U18 categories. The venue is Porto Carras, Greece.

The England delegation is 11 players and 3 coaches. The team can be viewed at:

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/Juniors ... ship-2018/

The event website is http://worldyouth2018.com/

Live board link is http://worldyouth2018.com/live-games/

The pairing and results link for the event (tab across for your chosen age group) is:

http://chess-results.com/tnr385901.aspx ... ES&flag=30

Latest news, photographs etc can be seen via the twitter feed : @ECFJuniors2018

No twitter account? You can follow the twitter feed via this link:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ECFJuniors2018

:D
Last edited by John Higgs on Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
"I'm not the one who got it wrong. I'm the only one who got it right". Carrie Mathison.

John Higgs

Re: World Youth Chess Championship 2018

Post by John Higgs » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:00 pm

"I'm not the one who got it wrong. I'm the only one who got it right". Carrie Mathison.

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:47 pm

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:47 pm

For those interested, today was the double round day, so second round is already far advanced (began midday).

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:01 pm

The only English junior ranked in the top 40 in their event is Koby Kalavannan (No 24 in U16), and he was checkmated by a 1998 opponent in round 1. It looks like a hard learning experience for most.

One has to question whether it would not have been better to give priority to sending a group to the Isle of Man Open. Five of the players in Greece have 2000+ ratings so were eligible for the IoM, and we have other juniors above that mark.

There besides their own games they could have watched real global junior talents (Pragg, Sarin and now 12-year-old Radakh Sadhwani from India, Xiong and Sevian from the US, and Vincent Keymer from Germany) in action against elite GMs.

I don't see a single English junior playing in the IoM. Not one! A few years ago, and absolutely for sure during my time with the BCF junior squad, we would have grabbed such an opportunity.
We even sent players to Lone Pine, California, when it was the top open in the world.

The present policy shouldn't pass without criticism.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:07 pm

There's a very short window of opportunity for actually entering the Isle of Man, mind - it's something like about three days between entries opening and the tournament filling up.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:28 pm

I'm sceptical whether the ECF and the Youth Trust even considered it.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:32 pm

To say that there are no “real” global talents at the World Youth is probably pushing it. And I get the impression that the older juniors especially these days get assistance on far more foreign trips than we used to. The best I ever got was Hastings!

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:51 pm

I didn't say that, and Abdusattorov (world U18) and Esipenko (world U16) are indeed major talents.

But the percentage of potential elite GMs is much higher at Isle of Man, it's just across the water, and ECF/YCC has sent no juniors there at all.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:57 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:01 pm
The only English junior ranked in the top 40 in their event is Koby Kalavannan (No 24 in U16), and he was checkmated by a 1998 opponent in round 1.
I think to be fair to Koby it is worth pointing out that his first round opponent also beat a player rated 2328 in round 2 and looking at his rating profile he seems to be over 2100 strength (having lost 150 rating points in August which he now seems to be rapidly regaining)

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:17 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:51 pm
I didn't say that, and Abdusattorov (world U18) and Esipenko (world U16) are indeed major talents.

But the percentage of potential elite GMs is much higher at Isle of Man, it's just across the water, and ECF/YCC has sent no juniors there at all.
Whether or not your viewpoint is justified (and the whole world of junior chess is I imagine very different these days) is your scepticism based on anything other than surmise, or have you actually had discussions with those in charge of English junior chess? I would suggest it is simplistic to assume that objectives or approaches for today’s juniors should be the same as 25-30 years ago, and I suspect that until later teens at earliest parents have far greater influence over what events are competed in than they used to. With the best will in the world it is not realistic to try to mirror what happens in India). There is also only so much time that there is also only so much non school holiday time that can be utilised (that’s probably why I played so few events years ago - I got the impression that Junior squad events were often only for those outside of World/European selection)

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:36 pm

WYCC round 1 report by Glafcos Tomblis:

The World Youth Chess Championships- Arrival and Day 1

For 10 days the best junior chess players in the world converge on Halkidiki (Porto Carras) in Greece with no less than 75 countries being represented. The venue is well used to hosting chess events. Not only has The World youth been here several times before but also those of us who arrived early were lucky enough to rub shoulders with greats of the game such as Magnus Carlsen, Peter Svidler and Ding Liren, who were completing the 34th European Club Cup at the same venue.

Well quite frankly that doesn’t impress me because at the moment I get a chance to speak with, get to know and report the games of 11 of the best junior chess players in our country. As a sports lover I want to know what makes them tick, what drives them and how their different personalities are reflected in the style of chess that they play. How do they cope with adversity? Are they good front runners? Can they get up tomorrow and fight having suffered a difficult loss. So much of the Sport that chess is, is mirrored in life and in our own lives and for me that is its fascination.

Our journeys to the venue were all fairly similar and straightforward. A flight to Thessaloniki and a coach ride to Porto Carras. The one exception I believe was GM Glenn Flear (coach) who was trapped in the murk somewhere in Germany. That’s what you get for living in France Glenn! Conversations on the bus and messages on our Whats App group soon made it clear that we were to stay in one of two hotels within the resort of Porto Carras. What if we got off at the wrong one? Well it soon become clear that it didn’t really matter since they were only 5 minutes’ walk apart.

The hotels are set a 5-minute walk from the beach amidst lush and rich Mediterranean vegetation and we had blue skies to greet us. Having just caught the end of lunch those of us who arrived the day before the tournament spent the rest of it recovering from an ungodly early morning start. Before long, it was the team meeting in our lovely team/analysis room where Christelle, our Head of Delegation ran through the logistics and handed out ECF Gold Badges and team shirts to each of our players. This was a time for making new acquaintances and catching up with old friends and a powerful reminder that whilst chess is played individually at the board we are stronger together.

Match Report day 1- Saturday 20th October
All the matches are set in a large nearby conference building called the Olympic centre. Round 1 started a little late at 3.08pm and after the start of the round those watching Friends and loved ones on live boards had to wait 30 min delay for the games to show on Chess 24. Apparently, a necessary evil as an anti-cheating measure.

It is a testament to our English chess players that not one of them had finished their games prior to 6pm and many were not done by 8pm. That’s 5 hours of solid concentration in a highly pressured environment.

The first to emerge was Nilomi Desai. Nilomi is a highly talented young chess player who exudes confidence and never seems ruffled. She lost today against an opponent who was rated 300 points higher. Analysis with Glenn showed that sacking a pawn was a good practical decision and made for entertaining play creating a “messy fighting position” where both players had chances and all 3 results were possible. With this kind of enterprising play, it won’t be long before the points come.

Ilya Misyura lost as black to an FM rated over 2400. I believe he was doing fine until his opponent managed to get the upper hand in a complex middlegame. The thing that I found interesting and that perhaps some might find quite off-putting is that his opponent didn’t look at the board whilst thinking about the position and considering his move. That is the power of many of these players in their ability to visualise the board.

Christopher Tombolis also lost today against his American opponent rated 2310. Christopher made him work hard for the win though with the game lasting 5 nerve wrenching hours for me. Rather you than me son! Proud of you though! Christopher was out manoeuvred in an unusual position and did well to create counter play whilst his opponent did well to keep calm and convert the win.

These 3 players are old hats from The World Cadets in Georgia 2 years ago. They are too strong to be kept down for long. A goodnights sleep required as well as focus and concentration to come back strong in round 2 tomorrow. Christopher is certainly snoring soundly beside me as I write this report this evening.

Leif Hafstad also lost today as Black again against an FM rated over 2300. The air is truly thin at these dizzy heights. I look forward to looking at some high-quality fighting chess from Leif.

Our highest rated player FM Koby Kalavannan had a difficult day today against his very under rated Greek opponent. Koby is a multiple junior British champion and recently won the Terafinal at the Delancey UK Chess Challenge. He is a Fide Master and is pushing on the door of 2370 in terms of rating. I write this having never spoken to Koby in case he needs reminding how good he is. Koby is an excellent player capable of high-quality chess and though he shouldn’t take it for granted against this standard of opposition he can put a long string of wins together that will give him a result he is happy with by the end of this tournament. Go for it Koby. As my good friend Rocky Balboa said (please imagine slightly deranged slurred American speech) “But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.” Sorry guys that’s what you get when you make me report writer.

Another Marathon match came from Callum Brewer (England and Sussex) who I have learned is as much of a lover of sport as I am. Really a great guy and a talented chess player. Callum lost today as Black against an FM “On the way up to” 2400. By the sounds of it these were similar circumstance to Christopher’s game. Outplayed in the opening taking a little too long on moving, a good fightback in the middlegame only to end up with a slightly inferior position in the endgame where the FM did well to execute the win. Don’t worry Callum at least you made him earn it. Speeding up against these FM’s is easier said than done as they are bound to punish inferior moves.

There was a draw today for Max French against his FM opponent. A truly impressive result and a great start to the tournament. I look forward to reviewing some of your games soon Max. It looks as if Max is in good form and so fingers crossed for the games to come.

Anita Somton drew with her opponent today. A result which I know she was slightly disappointed with. Anita she was definitely not that rating! That or your opponent was just having the best day of her chess life to date and there’s not much you can do about that! Half a point is a solid result for Anita and a good stepping stone.

Now to the wins! Oh how sweet is victory! Success is counted sweetest, by those who ne'er succeed. To comprehend a nectar. Requires sorest need.- sorry just seemed appropriate to google a poem about victory at this point!

Having just been inspired by the poetry of Emily Dickinson it is never easy to beat another England player and hopefully I won’t have to report on too many more of these. Aditya Munshi beat Teddy Onslow today. Teddy tried to avoid theory and ended up in a bad position and giving Aditya a very powerful bishop. Aditya put the game to bed with a tactic that won Teddy’s queen. Aditya is a really nice chap but really needs to stop growing as he is now almost twice my height! An exaggeration perhaps but it wouldn’t be to say that he is a much more complete and powerful player than he was 2 years ago at the World Cadet’s in Georgia.

Nadia Jaufarally also won today as black against her lower rated opponent. At one point during the post-match analysis her father quipped about her getting lucky. She politely pointed out to her that there was no luck involved only skill! She then went on to explain how she paralysed her opponents’ position and won all her pawns! Seriously, don’t mess with Nadia!

The game of the day came from Gautam Jain who basically dismantled his FM opponent to pieces as Black- I know Gautam would not describe it in this way, but I’m sure there was no bigger shot of adrenalin after victory! Both GM Peter Wells and GM Neil McDonald (coaches) were having a good chuckle when analysing this game. They were enjoying the power, artistry and tactical prowess exhibited in it. At one-point Peter said he wished he could win some of his games this way! Today was the first time I had a conversation with Gautam. He comes across as highly intelligent, understated, considered and modest. Sorry to embarrass you Gautam. Also, I don’t think it’s an unkind thing to say but Gautam sounds exactly like Fabiano Caruana when he is analysing his games. Today he played like Fabiano too.

Here is the game as a pgn:

(7) Pantzar,Milton (2326) - Jain,Gautam (1905) [C55]
WYCC O18 Greece 2018 (1), 20.10.2018

So, a tough day for the England team with 6 losses, 2 draws and 3 wins- 1 of which was totally spectacular. Wow, that was just the first round and there’s 2 more rounds tomorrow- I can hardly breathe. I can’t wait and dreaming of more exciting chess and wins for England tomorrow.

Glafcos Tombolis
Last edited by John Higgs on Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:59 am

Double round day report: rounds 2 and 3 on 21 October:

Day 2 is an important day for our chess players, primarily because there are 2 games. This tournament really is a marathon. I don’t think its enough to be supremely talented. You have to conserve your energy, eat well, sleep well and stay healthy. There are just too many variables to control, but it doesn’t stop us from trying. I’ve got my son on vitamin tablets, going to bed at a decent hour and using alcohol gel before and after games. Its me who’s going to bed late and having 2 rounds in one day doesn’t help us report writers. How thoughtless of the organisers!

Round 2

The second round was at 10am. The pairings came out late last night- so a little time for prep but that had to be balanced with getting enough sleep. Coaching this morning was about 20 minutes per player starting at 8am. I’m afraid due to the fact that game 2 was running into and through the lunch hour and because of the quick turnaround time finding a moment for post-game analysis never mind prep for the 3rd round starting at 5pm was always going to be a challenge.

Still our hard-working coaches, Neil McDonald, Peter Wells and Glenn Flear who definitely deserve a mention were up for the task and gave their respective players as much help as they needed. Internet access was atrocious as usual because the service was inundated with everyone in the hotel doing their prep. so this morning was a challenge.

This morning Aditya Munshi was playing a Georgian FM. Aditya truly believes now that he can win these games. His performance at the European championships was impressive and he should certainly go into these games on an equal footing and so it proved. Aditya had great chances in this game and unfortunately missed mate in 4 under time pressure but his ability to get into that position was perhaps not there a year or 2 ago. Another day another result. Unfortunately, this one didn’t go Aditya’s way.

Nilomi Desai lost to a Bulgarian WCM rated 2002. Her opening prep went well. In my view Nilomi is doing the right things. She is creating confusion on the chess board. Today she sacked a piece for 2 pawns and according to Glenn Flear this was objectively the right thing to do. Her opponent however was able to see her way through the confusion a little easier than Nilomi this time. This kind of game is invaluable to a chess players progression. Fortune favours the brave Nilomi. Continue and you will reap the rewards.

Leif Hafstad lost to a Polish FM rated over 2300. Leif has had a difficult draw so far playing 2 FM’s but actually having watched the analysis with Neil this morning I think he is playing well and I’m sure this will bear fruit in round 3.

After his solid draw in round 1 against a much higher rated opponent Max French had another tough one against a Greek FM. Max was black this time and went down to his higher rated opponent. Max should have high hopes for round 3 and is playing well.

Following his amazing day yesterday it was always going to be tough for Gautam Jain. It’s difficult to measure up to those standards every day and today Gautam’s opponent proved a step to far. They did however have a game which lasted 5 hrs so it must have been close. I saw Gautam coming out of the playing hall whilst I was waiting for my son. He was discussing the game with his opponent and he didn’t look phased or tired at all. A good sign for the tournament to come.

Nadia Jaufarally suffered defeat this morning following her convincing win yesterday. She was matched up with a Polish girl rated over 2000. Nadia’s in a strong position though, lets see what happens this afternoon. This girl’s got an iron will. It wouldn’t surprise me if she bounces back quickly. She was certainly in good spirits before the 3rd game.

Anita Somton, Ilya Misyura and Callum Brewer drew their games. I didn’t get a chance to speak to them as they were prepping for game 3 and I didn’t want to disturb them but no doubt they now have something to build on going into this afternoon’s game. I watched the analysis of Ilya’s game and it seems Ilya’s opponent was desperate for a draw sacking several pieces for a perpetual in a position that still had play for both sides.
Christopher Tombolis won his game against his much lower rated Greek opponent. Though there is no rest from these talented players and the home player made Christopher work hard for the win after a 5-hour epic battle. I fear for Christopher this afternoon if he has another tough one. Nevertheless, a good win and the first point on the board.

Koby Kalavannan beat his 2000 rated opponent as black today. Koby might have been worried about playing another underrated Greek player but it didn’t show as he summarily dispatched the player. Koby’s back on track which is what we like to see. Here is the game:

(9) Loukopoulos,Panagiotis-Athanasi (1988) - Kalavannan,Koby (2365) [B30]
WYCC Open u16 Chalkidiki (2.34), 21.10.2018

0–1

A tricky morning for the England team with 6 losses, 3 draws and 2 wins- a similar result to round 1. I feel though that we have turned a corner and there will be better results to come in game 3.

Round 3

Round 3 started at 5pm. Following round 2 there were some tired players going in to the second game of the day. Amongst them Christopher Tombolis who did well to convert a long drawn out win, perhaps paid his debt this afternoon. Christopher unusually for him chose a fairly passive plan and perhaps this was influenced by his lack of energy. He lost to his higher rated Spanish opponent fairly quickly and emerged from his match a little deflated. Nothing a good night’s sleep wont sort out and ready for action tomorrow afternoon.1/3 for Christopher.

Also, In the U14 open section Ilya Misyura managed a draw as black against his opponent. 1/3 and ready for round 4 tomorrow. Go for it, Ilya- keep fighting hard-the rounds before the rest day will be important in determining the success of your tournament.

Adiya Munshi is currently on 2 out of 3 after an excellent win this afternoon. Aditya outplayed his slightly lower rated Ukranian opponent. His opponent showed no real ambition and chose a rather passive approach. In contract Aditya played actively and there was altogether more energy in his play. Consequently, Aditya was rewarded with a positional advantage which eventually allowed him to make a breakthrough.

Callum Brewer drew both of his games today. This afternoon’s game was a highly entertaining one and is worthy of game of the day. In the end Callum took a draw by perpetual after achieving the time control but was left wondering if he could have done better? I believe Callum’s description was that “The game got a bit hairy”- told you I’d quote you Callum. You can feel Callum’s love for the game and his enthusiasm is infectious. A real leader and character in this England team.

Here is the game:

(1) Alexiadis,H - Brewer,C [A50]
WYCC (3), 09.06.2018

Gautam suffered another loss this afternoon as black against an FM but that is the nature of sport. One day they are showering you with Gold coins and the next you are snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Gautam has had 3 very tough and mentally gruelling games. In hindsight it was inevitable that he would suffer a bit of a come down after that great first day and you don’t need to come down very far, in order to suffer defeat, when you are consistently playing FM’s and quality players of this sort especially after being sapped by that long difficult game in the morning. He needs to hit the reset button and put the disappointment behind him. Again, a good night’s sleep and a lie in will help with that.

It was the battle of the FM’s in Koby’s game. This was a quick draw after 21 moves. Pieces were swapped off and parity meant a draw was agreed. This was a day of consolidation after a difficult day 1. Koby is on 1.5 out of 3. You just get a feeling with Koby that the cream always rises to the top and that he is bound to hit top form sooner rather than later. I’m sure when he relaxes into the tournament he will hit his straps. I spoke to him a couple of times on day 2 and he seems pretty relaxed to me.

Leif Hafstad got his first win this afternoon with the black pieces and he’ll feel a lot happier for it. The fact that his preparation bore fruit will build confidence, but not only that, he was able to build on his advantage, maintain a positional edge and create the weakness’ in his opponents’ structure that would allow him to win the game. Super play Leif. Now that you’ve done it once we are all pulling for you to do it again.

Max French drew his game this afternoon against a slightly lower rated Greek player. I just feel that Max is a win away from giving him the confidence that he needs to do very well in this tournament. When that happens, it is likely it will take him by surprise, but it will be no surprise to any of us because we can already see how strong a player he already is. A solid start for Max with 1/3 but he will feel the need to push on from here.

Nadia Jaufarally won her game today. Nadia faced the Yugoslav attack to her hyper accelerated dragon. A race position ensued, and Nadia was the first to break through taking advantage of her opponent’s weak pawn structure. As is so often in these race positions the slightest weakness can be critical and Nadia took full advantage. Back to winning ways for Nadia and 2/3.

Nilomi Desai had what must have been a difficult loss this afternoon. Nilomi is capable of lighting up this tournament. She’s like Messi having a quiet game for Barcelona but before long it will be score after score after score. I look forward to reporting a win very soon for Nilomi and when it comes I reckon it’ll be a good one.

Anita Somton drew as black this afternoon. She must be known as the draw queen for now having drawn her 1st 3 games but its early days yet and there are so many points to fight for. Go for it, Anita let’s see some exciting winning chess in the rounds to come.

An encouraging result for England this afternoon with only 3 losses, 5 draws and 3 wins in round 3. Our best round of the tournament so far. Thank goodness the double round day is done. We all look forward a bit of R and R before commencing battle once more for round four.

Glafcos Tombolis
Last edited by John Higgs on Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:18 pm

Round 4 report:

Apart from the usual coaching sessions everybody spent the morning in their own way. I spent part of the morning trying to find a bicycle pump to blow up a football for some of the England team to play with some of the Norwegians. Do you think the Norwegians have some inside information from a world champion? Anyway, if it works for the England boys that played I’ll be recommending it for everyone in the team. Let’s hope nobody breaks a leg, although a little good luck never goes amiss.

This round is no different with tough games for all our England players for lots of different reasons.

Our second highest rated player, Aditya Munshi was playing Bierre Jonas Buhl who is the highest rated play in the U14 section an IM no less. At lunch prior to the game I quipped with Aditya that his opponent had been feeling unwell and that he stood a good chance as a result. Aditya took me at my word initially and we then had a chuckle when he realised I was teasing him. We weren’t laughing 5 minutes later when we got a What’s App message from Christelle to avoid the skewered chicken since it was uncooked and noticed 3 skewers on Aditya’s empty plate. I’m sure he will be fine, but I wonder if their will be any skewers literal or metaphorical in Aditya’s game?

Aditya was playing a highly talented and powerful chess player today who has a great record with the White pieces. By his own admission Aditya was not at his best and was ultimately outplayed. He has faced two of the best players in the tournament so far and if he can string some wins together he will be back playing some more. Aditya will be pushing hard tomorrow to find his best chess.

Max French was playing black against his lower rated Greek opponent. In a highly entertaining game that could have gone either way a draw was agreed after a complex end game full of tactical opportunities. Max was seemingly on top, but a slip allowed his opponent back into the game and the mess that ensued was entertaining for the cheering crowds but murder at the chess board for the respective players. The game ended with the point shared.

Ilya Misyura was playing white against his lower rated opponent. He went up a pawn and managed to get his heavy pieces into better positions. Finally, his opponent resigned when losing more material became inevitable. Well done Ilya. I asked Ilya to describe the game. Ilya’s answer was succinct. “He Lost”- Thanks for the detailed analysis Ilya! Ilya is now on 2/4 and going strong.

1-0

Nadia Jaufarally was white against a 2000 rated Spanish girl. Another one with a double-barrelled name. Nadia made a mistake in the opening and a complex middle game continued. Nadia went on to lose her game but has 7 more games to show the metal that she’s made of.

Anita Somton was playing white against an American girl. The position was balanced for some time but ultimately a couple of inaccuracies meant that Anita had to do something proactive to gain counterplay. According to Peter Wells, her coach, it became increasingly risky to sit on the position and altering the structure became a critical requirement. Anita went onto lose the game and we cannot say that she is the draw queen any longer. There will be better days to come for this formidable chess player no doubt and we look forward to seeing Anita’s best chess in the games to come.

Nilomi Desai was also white against Isabelle Wang from Canada. After misplaying the opening Nilomi played very well in a game full of tactics. Though she gained a slight edge the game fizzled to an opposite coloured bishop endgame that was drawn by any one’s objective assessment. A draw for Nilomi, a well-played game and now off the mark. Well done Nilomi.

Callum Brewer had no rest after his game of the day performance yesterday and played a Swedish FM as white. In the post-match analysis, he was critical of himself in that he got obsessed with the minutia of the position when perhaps there was a more straightforward path. In fact, as Glenn Flear pointed out the position was incredibly complicated and required a great deal of analysis. In the end Callum was disappointed with his loss but will not allow himself to be down for too long and will return with a vengeance in round 5.

Though Gautam Jain had a lower rating than his opponent who was 2123 this was always going to be a tussle. In a complicated middle game Gautam’s opponent managed to gain the advantage but after a long struggle the game was lost. It’s so hard to wrangle control away from these higher rated players. At one-point Gautam’s opponent was frustratingly close to having his Bishop trapped but it soon became clear that this was all part of the plan.

Our titled played Koby Kalavannan was playing black against a player that he should be able to deal with most days of the week but there are no easy chess chumps to beat up on here at the World championships and the 1st player managed to hold Koby to a draw.

Leif Hafstad was playing black against his Swiss opponent 2155. This was always going to be a test, but Leif managed to draw after a 6-and-a-half-hour struggle. Great battling qualities Leif. Maybe the football helped?

Finally, another all England match between Christopher Tombolis playing black and Teddy Onslow had been pulled out of the hat. Its never nice to come all the way to Greece to play a compatriot who you play regularly at county, club and school level. Christopher went up two pawns in a rook end game but with an active rook Teddy was able to hold the draw.

Not a great day for our England team with 5 losses, 5 draws and 1 win. However, tomorrow’s game five keeps us alive and there will be more fine chess to look forward too.

Glafcos Tombolis
Last edited by John Higgs on Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:43 am

Round 5/11 report:

Callum Brewer was playing black today against a lower rated opponent. Callum has rightly felt that the quality of his play should have merited greater reward. Today he bucked the trend and converted a good position into victory. The truth is he is not the only one of the England team having this kind of issue. I have seen several games where the pressure applied by England players would be enough to make most other players crumble. However, the strength of competitor is high enough here that, to use a metaphor, a foot on the throat is required from start to finish to ensure the desired result. If there is any carelessness, lack of concentration or weakness in technique it will be exposed. So well done to Callum you can be proud of a well-earned victory.

Gautam Jain was also playing black against a Greek player rated above 2000. Gautam emerged from his game suggesting that he drew a game that he should have won and that in general drawing won positions and losing drawn positions was a common feature within his chess. I said nothing at the time but on reflection I just don’t buy that. Maybe we just remember the ones that slipped away more than the ones that were easily won? These players have continued with chess this long partly because they love it but partly too because they have achieved great success and any “Failure” is felt more keenly. Well done Gautam for getting a draw. I think it was important to consolidate in order to get your tournament back on track.

FM Koby Kalavannan had another tough one playing White against a plus 2150 player. Yesterday he drew his game against a lower rated player and was looking for a win in this one. A feet which he achieved with aplomb in this game. The game was quite even up till move 17 but started moving away from his opponent after this. Koby continued to build the pressure and finished the game with excellent endgame technique:

Kalavannan,Koby (2365) - Petkov,Matey (2164) [D26]

1–0

Max French was White against a similarly rated player, Leif Hafstad was playing white against a higher rated Norwegian player, Aditya Munshi was playing white against a lower rated Greek player and Nilomi Desai was black in her game. All four drew with their opponents. Particular credit must go to Leif who started feeling unwell during his game and managed to tough out a draw.

Ilya Misyura was playing black against a lower rated Japanese player who has an AIM title. I love watching Ilya during his analysis. He is so confident in himself and in his ability to understand a chess position. He slams down the pieces on to the squares like it is obvious to one and all that they belong there. It is not a question of analysis but a matter of fact! Obviously, there would be no way I could prove him wrong but when he is proven wrong by one of the Coach GM’s he shrugs it off with grace and wit and its just very funny. Ilya won his game today. He turned to me and said “ Glafcos, in 3 moves he’s just going to blunder a piece” Anyway we get to the decisive moment “ …and this is what he did” Ilya shows me the capture that led to his opponents resignation. At this point Ilya looks at me wide eyed and open mouthed- like how could anyone in a thousand years who wasn’t a total imbecile ever make a move like that, and I’m left having to share a look of agreement with him because I don’t want to look like an idiot and admit I didn’t actually understand the position myself. Honestly, I have to say that in this company that tends to happen rather a lot. I end up just nodding in agreement much of the time without fathoming the facts fully just because it’s easier.

Christopher Tombolis was playing White against his slightly lower rated opponent this afternoon. I must say it has been tough to watch my son whilst writing these reports. The results have not gone his way so far in this tournament and it is hard to suffer defeat with him. Today, very much like yesterday was an almost won position which he built up playing excellent chess. Unfortunately, the advantage whittled away and went if favour of his opponent all too quickly and Christopher eventually lost the game. The day did not start well when Christopher came down with an unpleasant Tummy bug. We had to reschedule his coaching and literally had bread and water all day. As I write this report he sleeps feeling better and soundly beside me and I look on proudly anyway. It is in adversity son that we find our true character. Better days for Christopher hopefully not too far away.

Nadia Jaufarally had a good win as black in round 5. This was a controlled game were she just played consistently better moves, and this eventually built into a decisive advantage. Peter Wells rates Nadia very highly. You can see why by looking at this game:

(60) Altynbek kyzy,Asel - Jaufarally,Nadia (1810) [B72]

0–1

Anita Somton also won her game as black today to get her first win of the tournament and though a tactic was missed at one-point Anita eventually took full advantage of her opponent’s mistakes. Well done Anita- some more games like this please:

(61) Hoshino,Meilin (1533) - Somton,Anita (1787) [D63

0–1

A much better day for England with 5 draws, 5 wins and 1 loss. On to round six and we’re in the mix.

Glafcos Tombolis
Last edited by John Higgs on Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.