World Cadet Chess Championship 2018

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Matt Bridgeman

Re: World Cadet Chess Championship 2018

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:50 pm

The venue is a couple of miles away from the various hotels. Amazing venue really - 'the city of culture' https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of ... of_Galicia

But it also has some building works going on and various health and safety issues with all this torrential rain today. It's been a pretty wet week all round.

Michael - we'll have to see if Niamh can play her game through Skype! Lol

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:59 pm

"Are we blaming climate change or the Russians?"

Or ECF membership schemes?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:18 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:47 pm
https://www.accuweather.com/en/es/santi ... ast/307771

Doesn't look great. Are we blaming climate change or the Russians?
This is what Galicia is like a lot of the time, though in fact this week has been (and is going to be) pretty wet over most of Northern Spain.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:22 pm

Team photo taken this morning.

6E91DAFC-834E-4741-ACA1-92BF5734910A.jpeg
6E91DAFC-834E-4741-ACA1-92BF5734910A.jpeg (389.03 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
"I'm not the one who got it wrong. I'm the only one who got it right". Carrie Mathison.

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:37 pm

Good photograph and thanks for informative reports. I recognise GM Peter Wells and I think John Merriman on the left. Who are the other coaches?
Shame about the weather, kids and team members usually find worthwhile things to do. All the very best to players and supporters.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:44 pm

Peter Turner wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:37 pm
Who are the other coaches?
Charlie Storey in the cap and I think Adam Taylor between Charlie and Peter Wells.

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:27 pm

As there are 2 Adam Taylor’s in the domestic chess scene, the coach pictured is FM Adam C Taylor who coached Jessica Mellor to her Gold medal at the 2018 European Schools Chess Championship.
"I'm not the one who got it wrong. I'm the only one who got it right". Carrie Mathison.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:55 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:44 pm
Peter Turner wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:37 pm
Who are the other coaches?
Charlie Storey in the cap and I think Adam Taylor between Charlie and Peter Wells.
Gyula Meszaros on the far left.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:11 am

Do we know if there will be play today?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:24 am

Matthew Turner wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:11 am
Do we know if there will be play today?
Yes, one of the parents has said that the weather is better today and the games are going ahead. The forecast from tomorrow is much worse though.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:53 am

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:50 pm

Michael - we'll have to see if Niamh can play her game through Skype! Lol
In the absence of Niamh we only managed a 2-2 draw yesterday but I see she used her time more productively and my congratulations and best wishes to her for the rest of the tournament.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:56 am

Somewhat ominously the two lead news articles on the website https://www.wccc2018.com/ are one that is only available in 'European Spanish' and a bus timetable with no comment.

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:12 pm

Round 3 report

The prayers of all the players were answered on day 4 – it was a beautiful day, with the sun shining till late afternoon, a welcome relief from the doom and gloom of the day before. I think the parents and organisers were both relieved as this round started. There were many questions in the air about the suspended round, and there was a meeting between the organisers and delegates to answer those questions. It was decided to cancel the free day and change the round timings to 16:00.

Back to the white and black squares — round 3 commenced at the normal time on Tuesday. The early rest day on Monday certainly helped the England team, who scored a magnificent 11/14 points. Lots of good things happened across the team. Going into the second round, Julia Volovich, George Clarkson and Jacob Yoon were all jointly leading their respective sections.

Julia – Girls U12 – turned what looked like a quiet opening into a tactical battle. She won very impressively with pieces marauding over the board in an unconventional formation, which gradually overran her higher-rated opponent. A very strong effort for Julia, who has looked comfortable in all her games. Julia moves to 3/3 and will again be on the live boards today.

George – U10 Open – was a little nervous before his match, but overcame his nerves to secure a nice position from the opening – his middlegame resulted in the most dynamic, chaotic opening in the tournament to date. After securing a won position, George’s opponent (rated hundreds of point higher than him) found incredible resources to swing the game back, only for George to once again take control with a lovely Queen sacrifice and a won position, determined to give his father and coach a heart attack – he proceeded to hand over his winning position to his seeded opponent until once again, somehow, attaining a drawn position. His opponent declined George’s draw offer, but this time George took complete control and brought home the full point, to leave his father and coach Charlie Storey amazed at the rollercoaster that was witnessed on the live boards at Chess24.com. George is now on 100% despite being a massive underdog in the seedings – a truly remarkable start to this World tournament and more live board action tomorrow! Game of the Tournament so far!

Jacob was on top board in in the open U12 – a real achievement. He played a good game against a highly-rated Indian IM who has some notable victories to his name. The opening was broadly level, but his opponent developed a nagging edge which then became a decisive central advantage. Jacob can take a lot from the loss and looks well placed in round 4.

Girls U12. Anum Sheikh lost a tough, well-played game. Her opponent headed for an unfamiliar position with a new system which lead to a balanced situation where Anum had more experience in the middlegame. The pressure from the middlegame resulted in a complicated endgame, which her opponent played without error. Anum missed some better plans – I am sure she will learn from this game.

Niamh Bridgeman’s preparation was sidestepped, but a good understanding of the opening principles ensured her middlegame had excellent attacking chances, and she delivered a brutal attack to set her tournament on fire! A great win for Niamh.

Abigail and Jessica were the last two to finish on the day – Abigail beat a talented WCM from America to progress to 2/3. Jessica bounced back well to win a long game against a player from Azerbaijan.

Boys U12. Giulio's preparation was sidestepped by his opponent, but this meant his opponent was in slightly unfamiliar territory. Giulio used his positional skill in his middlegame to transform into a very good endgame, which he converted very well. James Merriman played a nice combination to win and move on to 1.5/3. Adam Hussain played a strong game to overwhelm his opponent, and he also moves to 1.5/3.

Girls U10. Roxolana beat the Austrian Girls Champion to move on to 2/3, bouncing back back well from tough round 2. Keerthana was narrowly beaten by a talented player from Bulgaria and remains well positioned on 1.5/3.

Boys U10. Shreyas and Nishchal won their games relatively quickly against lower-rated opponents, and both move to a promising 2/3.

Come on England team – 14/14 is the next target!

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:08 pm

John Merriman via John Higgs wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:12 pm

George – U10 Open – was a little nervous before his match, but overcame his nerves to secure a nice position from the opening – his middlegame resulted in the most dynamic, chaotic opening in the tournament to date. After securing a won position, George’s opponent (rated hundreds of point higher than him) found incredible resources to swing the game back, only for George to once again take control with a lovely Queen sacrifice and a won position, determined to give his father and coach a heart attack – he proceeded to hand over his winning position to his seeded opponent until once again, somehow, attaining a drawn position. His opponent declined George’s draw offer, but this time George took complete control and brought home the full point, to leave his father and coach Charlie Storey amazed at the rollercoaster that was witnessed on the live boards at Chess24.com. George is now on 100% despite being a massive underdog in the seedings – a truly remarkable start to this World tournament and more live board action tomorrow! Game of the Tournament so far!

Clarkson, George (ENG) - Lee, Jayden Z (USA) 1-0
World Cadet Championship u10 2018 round 03

Nice game!
Last edited by Christopher Kreuzer on Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:23 pm

I apologise for the pedantry but the words above are supplied by John Higgs but written by I think John Merriman, as per the previous daily up-dates.