Unwritten rules on epitaphs!?

Technical information will be posted here, use it to ask questions too.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: Unwritten rules on epitaphs!?

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:07 pm

John Clarke wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:02 pm
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:39 pm
"I hadn't though that cause of death might be a bit distressing on some occasions. I think journalistic etiquette is "after a short illness" and "after a long illness""

Yes. In extreme cases, for example, I'm informed that unfortunately when suicide is reported, some people who read the reports are more likely to try it themselves. I don't think we would want that...
In some death notices, you'll see the word "unexpectedly". This might be "code" for something, but I wouldn't like to say what.
A "shocking" death is if anything an even more explicit hint there.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John Cox

Post by John Cox » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:56 pm

Good grief. It seems extraordinarily mean-spirited to me to complain about obituaries of foreign GMs and well-known players. In my opinion they add to the forum.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:44 am

I actually do feel the same about random foreign masters no one has ever heard of, but then again I probably shouldnt complain too much as I have not heard of about 80% of the uk players either (it seems like a lot of uk players are very long lived and die many decades after they played their last competitive game)
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:36 pm

There are no Grandmasters that no one has ever heard of.
I have only counted a couple of players who have "died many decades after they played their last competitive game. "
There are deaths reported by other members that I've never heard of either, it doesn't mean they shouldn't be reported.
That's why I feel personally the last post was a bit selfish and lacking respect of the dead.