Page 1 of 1

Online Safety Act

Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2025 5:23 am
by John Clarke
I've just stumbled on this piece, via another of the sites I visit regularly:

https://www.techdirt.com/2024/12/20/dea ... mmunities/

Could this be a threat to the Forum as we know it? We have carried the odd item that referred to dubious activities ....

Re: Online Safety Act

Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2025 7:39 am
by NickFaulks
John Clarke wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 08, 2025 5:23 am
I've just stumbled on this piece, via another of the sites I visit regularly:

https://www.techdirt.com/2024/12/20/dea ... mmunities/

Could this be a threat to the Forum as we know it? We have carried the odd item that referred to dubious activities ....
"When you regulate the internet as if it’s all just Facebook, all that will be left is Facebook."

I have never had any doubt that is the plan.

Re: Online Safety Act

Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2025 10:45 am
by Carl Hibbard
It is a giant mess of a law targeting the big boys who will simply ignore it - but it does allow Ofcom to do whatever they want.

Re: Online Safety Act

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2025 3:32 pm
by Roger Lancaster
There's an official explanation at https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -explainer. Prima facie, the Act is targeted at illegal or immoral activity and "takes a proportionate approach to mis- and disinformation by focusing on addressing the greatest risks of harm to users, whilst protecting freedom of expression". I would expect "a proportionate approach" to mean that Ofcom, the regulating body, would not be concerned with whether allegations that (for example) grandmaster X is cheating are or are not mis- or disinformation. However, that's based on a quick reading and it may be that others here take a different view.