Spontaneous Logging Out

Technical information will be posted here, use it to ask questions too.
Alex Holowczak

Re: Spontaneous Logging Out

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:54 pm

I agree with Rob. I don't think I ever log in on my home computer unless I log in on another computer inbetween.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:59 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:I agree with Rob. I don't think I ever log in on my home computer unless I log in on another computer inbetween.
The cookie deals with you choosing the log me in automatically option at the start, this setting is me checking the issue of someone getting logged out when they don't want to be!

They are different but yes I am confused a little now as to how (and if...) it works
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:27 pm

Got it now!

If you choose the 'Log me on automatically each visit' option then the cookie always keeps you on, however if you don't after an hour you will be logged out

This does not explain the issue David and Stewart are seeing though...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:46 pm

I do use aol. Sometimes I use Firefox rather than IE.

The time for the problem to arise is much less than an hour, perhaps 30 minutes. Of course I m not concerned with the system going down, I am concerned that the message on which I have laboured is no longer available. If I now sat around twiddling my thumbs eventually I would lose contact and with it the message. Pressing the button to go back does not help.

Stewart Reuben

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:48 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:I do use aol. Sometimes I use Firefox rather than IE.

The time for the problem to arise is much less than an hour, perhaps 30 minutes. Of course I m not concerned with the system going down, I am concerned that the message on which I have laboured is no longer available. If I now sat around twiddling my thumbs eventually I would lose contact and with it the message. Pressing the button to go back does not help.

Stewart Reuben
Has it done it after midday today Stewart when I made some changes?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:06 am

Dear Carl,
I have no idea as I take prophylatic measures.
I would think it would bed better for David Sedgwick to experiment as he has greater problems. However, I am willing to give it a go tomorrow.

Stewart

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:14 am

Just use Firefox. Then pressing back should work. It might not be a proper fix, but it seems to work.

I'm using "Quick Reply" to type this, and just used back and forward. When I came back forwards, the message box had gone. So I clicked Quick Reply again, and this window opened up, with my text still in it. The full editor allows a similar function.

Perhaps it's just Internet Explorer that's at fault? After all, it is made by Microsoft...

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:02 am

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions.

Alex Holowczak wrote:Just use Firefox.
I appreciate that I'm probably in a minority, but I much prefer IE to Firefox. I'm reluctant to switch because of this one issue.

Stewart Reuben wrote:I would think it would better for David Sedgwick to experiment as he has greater problems.
Carl and I have exchanged private messages to this end.

The problem is that it's an intermittent fault. If it happens again, I'll report it pronto, both to Carl and on here. If it doesn't happen, however, it will be two to three weeks before I can be confident that it's gone away for good.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:14 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:Just use Firefox.
I appreciate that I'm probably in a minority, but I much prefer IE to Firefox. I'm reluctant to switch because of this one issue.
Interesting. What do you like about IE that you don't like about Firefox?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:21 am

David Sedgwick wrote:The problem is that it's an intermittent fault. If it happens again, I'll report it pronto, both to Carl and on here. If it doesn't happen, however, it will be two to three weeks before I can be confident that it's gone away for good.
It's been a couple of weeks, so is anyone getting problems remaining logged in etc. :?:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:38 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:The problem is that it's an intermittent fault. If it happens again, I'll report it pronto, both to Carl and on here. If it doesn't happen, however, it will be two to three weeks before I can be confident that it's gone away for good.
It's been a couple of weeks, so is anyone getting problems remaining logged in etc. :?:
Carl, I've not experienced the problem since you made the adjustment on 31st March, so it looks as though that did the trick. Thank you for your help.

I do occasionally risk losing a post if it fails to upload after I click Preview or Submit. That's a quite separate issue, of course.

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:01 pm

Carl, not a logging out problem, but also had the experience of losing a post after hitting Submit. I think it has happened when someone else posted to same thread while I was composing? I probably need to remember to compose offline and copy and paste when ready.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:11 pm

Steve Rooney wrote:Carl, not a logging out problem, but also had the experience of losing a post after hitting Submit. I think it has happened when someone else posted to same thread while I was composing? I probably need to remember to compose offline and copy and paste when ready.
I think that is just a confusion as to how it works and can be a little confusing since it's quite rare!

If you are composing a post and someone else has added something whilst you are typing the interface presents you with the "other" users addition just below your composition - the idea is to allow you to alter your comments relevant to the new post...

However it's not that obvious that you either need to press submit AGAIN to save your post or alter those comments to reflect the new post

It's quite easy to miss and I "think" it is sometimes the cause of problems people are seeing?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:37 pm

Carl, I may well have missed that AGAIN option. Will try harder next time!

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:16 am

David Sedgwick wrote:I do occasionally risk losing a post if it fails to upload after I click Preview or Submit. That's a quite separate issue, of course.
When you say "lose" what exactly happens and how often?

Do you get any error or any sort of sign that is has failed or is the post just missing?

Pointers welcomed...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard