Private messages

Technical information will be posted here, use it to ask questions too.
Richard Haddrell

Private messages

Post by Richard Haddrell » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:32 pm

Private messages

Put this somewhere else, Carl, if I’ve chosen the wrong place to say it. I couldn’t find a right place. But when I logged on this morning I noticed there were two messages for me. I think they must have been PMs. (Private Message? Personal Message?) One was very recent and useful. The other was dated July 2009, so I must have been overlooking it for the last thirteen months.

It’s not a good idea to write to me in this way. Obviously not, if I can go thirteen months without looking. But even if I change my habits and make a point of looking when I log on, I still won’t reliably pick messages up at once. I’m always around, but I may go weeks without logging on if I’ve got nothing to say.

It’s far better to email me. My address is [email protected]

Carl Hibbard

Re: Private messages

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:37 pm

It is possible in the User Control Panel for a member to "turn off" the ability to receive personal messages, it's in Board Preferences and change to no if you wish on this setting

Allow users to send you private messages:
Note that administrators and moderators will always be able to send you messages.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:39 pm

Richard Haddrell wrote:It’s far better to email me. My address is [email protected]
You are supposed to get an email notification when a new PM is received of course, but that depends on the reliability of your email :wink:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:14 pm

I get a pop-up window appearing to notify me of a new pm. I assume most people also see one of these?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:31 pm

John Upham wrote:I get a pop-up window appearing to notify me of a new pm. I assume most people also see one of these?
You can turn both of those OFF as well as Richard has done, settings are:

Notify me on new private messages

Pop up window on new private message
Cheers
Carl Hibbard