Too many log-in attempts

Technical information will be posted here, use it to ask questions too.
Christopher Kreuzer

Too many log-in attempts

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:28 am

I got the "too many log in attempts" message and was asked to fill in a captcha. Obviously that worked, but the strange thing was that I'd only tried to log in once! I would have expected this security feature to only kick in after three or more attempts to log in, or something like that. Trying to log in once and then be told that you have exceeded the number of log in attempts is a bit strange. Unless of course someone has been trying to log in to my account here.

Carl Hibbard

Re: Too many log-in attempts

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:05 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I got the "too many log in attempts" message and was asked to fill in a captcha. Obviously that worked, but the strange thing was that I'd only tried to log in once! I would have expected this security feature to only kick in after three or more attempts to log in, or something like that. Trying to log in once and then be told that you have exceeded the number of log in attempts is a bit strange. Unless of course someone has been trying to log in to my account here.
My logs should nothing beyond the "normal" hack attempts however you are the second user to report this recently so please drop me a PM if you have any concerns
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:35 pm

The same just happened to me, especially odd seeing as i've told it to keep me logged in?
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:09 am

Rob Thompson wrote:The same just happened to me, especially odd seeing as i've told it to keep me logged in?
The system forces you to login again after 60 days regardless
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:28 am

It happened again today. I don't mind, but if I appear to start posting strange things, it probably isn't me!

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:53 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:It happened again today. I don't mind, but if I appear to start posting strange things, it probably isn't me!
There are suspicious login attempts all the time but I can see no obvious pattern and your account is not specifically a target but the number of attempts is currently 3 before the extra level of confirmation will be needed, sorry...

If you feel concerned then please change your password to something more complex just in case although I don't think it will cure the problem it is an extra safety net!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:01 pm

Same thing is happening to me. Also I login and as soon as I try to do something, it says I have to log in. This is the 15th attempt....
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:27 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:Same thing is happening to me. Also I login and as soon as I try to do something, it says I have to log in. This is the 15th attempt....
Try using the 'Delete all board cookies' link towards the bottom of the home page first!

Please then also make sure you are browsing to the http://www.ecforum.org.uk/ with the "www" bit as the cookie is set for that as the URL

Otherwise drop me an email using carl AT ecforum.org.uk
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:28 pm

Not an AOL user are you - that might be it!!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:31 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:Same thing is happening to me. Also I login and as soon as I try to do something, it says I have to log in. This is the 15th attempt....
I have fixed it now Kevin all should be fine - sorry about that...

I had tightened the security settings and anyone using AOL to login or post might have been affected by the change I had made - forgot about that one again!

Sorry my fault :oops:

You could have been having problems since the 22nd when I made the change...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:22 pm

Yes I had!

Thanks Carl
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey