Look, Feel & Name Change

Technical information will be posted here, use it to ask questions too.
Carl Hibbard

Look, Feel & Name Change

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:17 pm

As is now clear this is no longer the official forum of the English Chess Federation

The name has changed as has the presentation - if you prefer the older look than it is still possible to change back to that in the user control panel under board preferences and then the selection of board style

As per the ECF site quote:-
"The views expressed on this forum are not necessarily the official view of the English Chess Federation"

In keeping with this change the list of moderations has been reduced to just me!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Re: Look, Feel & Name Change

Post by John Upham » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:26 pm

Carl,

Can you explain the background to this change and who has requested it?

I'm assuming it was not your choice but an order from above?

John
Last edited by John Upham on Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:50 pm

John Upham wrote:Carl,

Can you explain the background to this change and who has requested it please?

I'm assuming it was not your choice but an order from above?

John
I would expect a statement from the ECF in the form of Chris Majer to be shortly forthcoming

There is no "above" now of course
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:44 pm

This is all very odd - and why doesn't the ECF announce such changes before they happen. Also appears that Carl is now the only moderator again. I don't see what the problem was with Jack Rudd - and others? - helping out.

Dr Andrew Cula

Post by Dr Andrew Cula » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:27 pm

The ECF website seems to be offline, is this part of the issue?

Also have the ECF given you our details?

Not to be rude, but i signed up to ECF not English chess Forum :)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:05 pm

John Moore wrote:This is all very odd - and why doesn't the ECF announce such changes before they happen. Also appears that Carl is now the only moderator again. I don't see what the problem was with Jack Rudd - and others? - helping out.
I perhaps jumped the gun a little with the changeover since it's easier for me to do at the weekend - hopefully some accouncement will appear shortly but for now I have reduced the number of moderators until the position is made clear to everyone
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:09 pm

Dr Andrew Cula wrote:The ECF website seems to be offline, is this part of the issue?

The ECF main web site is hosted by Demon Internet and to be frank their service isn't the most reliable

Regarding your details, they were never held or stored by the ECF in fact - this site is run, maintained and actually paid for by me

I provide this site and the grading site under the same rather informal arrangement

I can delete your account if you feel uncomfortable with this?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Dr Andrew Cula

Post by Dr Andrew Cula » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:14 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Dr Andrew Cula wrote:The ECF website seems to be offline, is this part of the issue?

The ECF main web site is hosted by Demon Internet and to be frank their service isn't the most reliable

Regarding your details, they were never held or stored by the ECF in fact - this site is run, maintained and actually paid for by me

I provide this site and the grading site under the same rather informal arrangement

I can delete your account if you feel uncomfortable with this?
I am happy to remain :)

But I just wanted clarification. The technical matter of who hosts it and where is not the issue. It was advertised as an Official ECF Forum, not a 3rd party forum endorsed by the ECF. I had assumed that the ECF were the ones looking after my data. A task they quite rightly outsourced to an expert (Carl).

By your logic the ISP who hosts the site and pays for the bandwidth owns it, however I'm sure you would complain if they took over :)

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:19 pm

I'm sure you are happy to remain, Dr Cula. Your personal details are hidden from everyone; and who knows what innocents may come your way meanwhile :) Anyone concerned with your identity would need some light shed on the matter before it dawned on them, and on you, what was at stake here. Then they'd be very cross :twisted:

David

Dr Andrew Cula

Post by Dr Andrew Cula » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:30 am

I'm not trying to be a pain in the neck. My wife is now threatening to post in my defence. You can trust me on this, you don't want to anger the bride of Dr A Cula.

:roll:

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:13 pm

Carl, when searching the net for the ECF Forum it still says that it's the official English Chess Federation Forum. I don't know how you can change that but it might have to be something for you to look in to.
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:25 pm

Greg Breed wrote:Carl, when searching the net for the ECF Forum it still says that it's the official English Chess Federation Forum. I don't know how you can change that but it might have to be something for you to look in to.

It will probably update within 4-6 weeks following a revisit from various spiders and bots etc.

You can encourage them to visit more regularly but why bother?

I suspect (in any case) that this forum will die a death which is probably the desired result of the rebranding.

John
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Dr Andrew Cula

Post by Dr Andrew Cula » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:33 pm

I think it's just quiet because of the summer, and everyone is exhaused from being outraged at every little thing. :)

Dean Madden

Post by Dean Madden » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:44 pm

Dr Andrew Cula wrote:I think it's just quiet because of the summer, and everyone is exhaused from being outraged at every little thing. :)
I think the main dip coincides with Charles Wood no longer posting. As long as the link from the main ECF site stays, I think the forum will be fine.

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:57 pm

Dean Madden wrote:
Dr Andrew Cula wrote:I think it's just quiet because of the summer, and everyone is exhaused from being outraged at every little thing. :)
I think the main dip coincides with Charles Wood no longer posting. As long as the link from the main ECF site stays, I think the forum will be fine.
This site will continue to get my support, and I do like the new feel of the site. I do apologise about my dip in posting this is purely down to a mad scramble to get the project finalised. Carl runs a good site and I hope it continues for many years to come.

Question: who is Dr A Cula? I would like to know for one but in a nice way, and because I do like puns like that. Well Done :lol: . (I am however a little embarrassed as I hadn't spotted the name :oops: )
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion