Consistent Moderation and of course Complaints

Technical information will be posted here, use it to ask questions too.
Carl Hibbard

Consistent Moderation and of course Complaints

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:00 pm

Since over on the Atticus forum the question has been raised:-

http://www.atticuschess.org.uk/forum/ph ... c&start=16

People should feel free to complain about me at all times if you agree with David's opinion...

I am very keen to produce a consistent line on all posts
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Steve Henderson

Re: Consistent Moderation and of course Complaints

Post by Steve Henderson » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:38 am

Carl your doing a great job, don't take too much notice of Prof David.
It is your forum and you run it the way you feel you need to.

My view is, any personal slurs, insults or name calling should be stopped, it does not help or aid the discussion.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:43 am

Steve Henderson wrote:Carl your doing a great job, don't take too much notice of Prof David.
It is your forum and you run it the way you feel you need to.

My view is, any personal slurs, insults or name calling should be stopped, it does not help or aid the discussion.
No, he has a very good point - my values should not be above question and it's vital that any line I take should be consistent across the entire forum and all it's members

I can but try :)
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:59 am

Carl,
Can I just say that I feel that in my opinion all your moderation have been entirely justified. Indeed you have given people a lot of leniency. I hope that you continue to exercise a consistent level of 'moderate moderation'
Well Done.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:17 pm

Prof Robertson killed off the Atticus forum which had hitherto been a centre of healthy discussion when he started abusing and belittling anyone on the forum who didn't agree with him. Unsurprisingly people didnt like it and took their discussions to a safer environment (ie here). We dont want the same thing to happen again, and so any moderation of personal insults or unfounded accusations is, in my opinion, perfectly justified.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:20 pm

Carl, I agree with the other contributors to this thread, Sean Hewitt in particular. It's amusing to note than when Sean made his point in the other place, he received a retort which could have been an exercise in self parody.

Whatever you do, please don't let David Robertson get to you.

All, or nearly all, the contributors to this Forum are extremely grateful for the time and effort which you've expended in keeping it going notwithstanding the official disapproval.

On here we know to whom we are "speaking" and we can have a reasonably civilised debate most of the time, safe in the knowledge that you're prepared to intervene if matters get out of hand. I think that a degree of inconsistency in moderation is inevitable in a post-moderated or a reactively moderated Forum. There are plenty of complaints about inconsistent moderation on the BBC Message Boards, where the task is undertaken not by a lone volunteer but by a team of paid staff.

Keep up the good work. However, please don't expect me to nominate you for the ECF President's award just yet. There wouldn't be a lot of point.

Merry Christmas

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:45 pm

I think you do a good job and I have probaly the most edited posts. I often need a few cheeky reminders when I swear alot. Your not over the top with admin, over half the active forum members want you to be harsher with me I think but you keep a consistant line to direct slurs etc.

Merry Crimbo, Yo'all

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:46 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:It's amusing to note than when Sean made his point in the other place....
I wasn't aware that I had been elevated to the House of Lords :D

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:49 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:On here we know to whom we are "speaking" and we can have a reasonably civilised debate most of the time, safe in the knowledge that you're prepared to intervene if matters get out of hand. I think that a degree of inconsistency in moderation is inevitable in a post-moderated or a reactively moderated Forum. There are plenty of complaints about inconsistent moderation on the BBC Message Boards, where the task is undertaken not by a lone volunteer but by a team of paid staff.
The thoughts of everyone are important as the question was not raised with anyone specific in mind...

I clearly won't allow a free for all as per "other" forums but please point out if I have missed or considered something acceptable which other people do not...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:51 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:Keep up the good work. However, please don't expect me to nominate you for the ECF President's award just yet. There wouldn't be a lot of point.
How about ECF web site of the year then?

:lol:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:42 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:Prof Robertson killed off the Atticus forum which had hitherto been a centre of healthy discussion when he started abusing and belittling anyone on the forum who didn't agree with him. Unsurprisingly people didnt like it and took their discussions to a safer environment (ie here). We dont want the same thing to happen again, and so any moderation of personal insults or unfounded accusations is, in my opinion, perfectly justified
It's difficult to do justice to a doltish statement like this without belittling its author. Clearly no intelligence has gone into its production. Hardly surprising when the author is the sneering and snide Sean Hewitt, a parasite on other peoples' comments and efforts. The Atticus forum has not been 'killed off'; it is far quieter because, for the moment, I post here on matters of national concerns. The "healthy debates" on the Atticus forum were mostly started by myself, and began well before this ECF forum existed. It's hard to expect a national audience to join a specific club website - so hard that I couldn't imagine Sean Hewitt would get his slow wits around that. So the wholly unreliable and manipulative Sean Hewitt needs to be careful when he talks about "unfounded accusations". The charge can readily be applied to him.

David
Atticus CC

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:47 am

Been as it is still Christmas lets draw this topic to a nice quiet close and move on to subjects new please
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:29 am

David Robertson wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:Prof Robertson killed off the Atticus forum which had hitherto been a centre of healthy discussion when he started abusing and belittling anyone on the forum who didn't agree with him. Unsurprisingly people didnt like it and took their discussions to a safer environment (ie here). We dont want the same thing to happen again, and so any moderation of personal insults or unfounded accusations is, in my opinion, perfectly justified
It's difficult to do justice to a doltish statement like this without belittling its author. Clearly no intelligence has gone into its production. Hardly surprising when the author is the sneering and snide Sean Hewitt, a parasite on other peoples' comments and efforts. The Atticus forum has not been 'killed off'; it is far quieter because, for the moment, I post here on matters of national concerns. The "healthy debates" on the Atticus forum were mostly started by myself, and began well before this ECF forum existed. It's hard to expect a national audience to join a specific club website - so hard that I couldn't imagine Sean Hewitt would get his slow wits around that. So the wholly unreliable and manipulative Sean Hewitt needs to be careful when he talks about "unfounded accusations". The charge can readily be applied to him.

David
Atticus CC
Seems like we touched a nerve! :lol:

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:07 pm

Ernie Lazernby wrote:I dont think the Prof adds anything to this forum
Dear me, Ernie, desperate stuff. I can't believe there was any synapse activity as you wrote that. Also you might want to check whether Carl agrees with you :lol:

David
Atticus CC
Last edited by David Robertson on Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:08 pm

Ill happily say I lack intelligence :idea: ............. :lol:
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.