Page 1 of 4
Consistent Moderation and of course Complaints
Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:00 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Since over on the Atticus forum the question has been raised:-
http://www.atticuschess.org.uk/forum/ph ... c&start=16
People should feel free to complain about me
at all times if you agree with David's opinion...
I am very keen to produce a consistent line on all posts
Re: Consistent Moderation and of course Complaints
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:38 am
by Steve Henderson
Carl your doing a great job, don't take too much notice of Prof David.
It is your forum and you run it the way you feel you need to.
My view is, any personal slurs, insults or name calling should be stopped, it does not help or aid the discussion.
Re: Consistent Moderation and of course Complaints
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:43 am
by Carl Hibbard
Steve Henderson wrote:Carl your doing a great job, don't take too much notice of Prof David.
It is your forum and you run it the way you feel you need to.
My view is, any personal slurs, insults or name calling should be stopped, it does not help or aid the discussion.
No, he has a very good point - my values should
not be above question and it's vital that any line I take should be consistent across the entire forum and all it's members
I can but try

Re: Consistent Moderation and of course Complaints
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:59 am
by Matthew Turner
Carl,
Can I just say that I feel that in my opinion all your moderation have been entirely justified. Indeed you have given people a lot of leniency. I hope that you continue to exercise a consistent level of 'moderate moderation'
Well Done.
Re: Consistent Moderation and of course Complaints
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:17 pm
by Sean Hewitt
Prof Robertson killed off the Atticus forum which had hitherto been a centre of healthy discussion when he started abusing and belittling anyone on the forum who didn't agree with him. Unsurprisingly people didnt like it and took their discussions to a safer environment (ie here). We dont want the same thing to happen again, and so any moderation of personal insults or unfounded accusations is, in my opinion, perfectly justified.
Re: Consistent Moderation and of course Complaints
Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:20 pm
by David Sedgwick
Carl, I agree with the other contributors to this thread, Sean Hewitt in particular. It's amusing to note than when Sean made his point in the other place, he received a retort which could have been an exercise in self parody.
Whatever you do, please don't let David Robertson get to you.
All, or nearly all, the contributors to this Forum are extremely grateful for the time and effort which you've expended in keeping it going notwithstanding the official disapproval.
On here we know to whom we are "speaking" and we can have a reasonably civilised debate most of the time, safe in the knowledge that you're prepared to intervene if matters get out of hand. I think that a degree of inconsistency in moderation is inevitable in a post-moderated or a reactively moderated Forum. There are plenty of complaints about inconsistent moderation on the BBC Message Boards, where the task is undertaken not by a lone volunteer but by a team of paid staff.
Keep up the good work. However, please don't expect me to nominate you for the ECF President's award just yet. There wouldn't be a lot of point.
Merry Christmas
Re: Consistent Moderation and of course Complaints
Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:45 pm
by Ben Purton
I think you do a good job and I have probaly the most edited posts. I often need a few cheeky reminders when I swear alot. Your not over the top with admin, over half the active forum members want you to be harsher with me I think but you keep a consistant line to direct slurs etc.
Merry Crimbo, Yo'all
Ben
Re: Consistent Moderation and of course Complaints
Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:46 pm
by Sean Hewitt
David Sedgwick wrote:It's amusing to note than when Sean made his point in the other place....
I wasn't aware that I had been elevated to the House of Lords

Re: Consistent Moderation and of course Complaints
Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:49 pm
by Carl Hibbard
David Sedgwick wrote:On here we know to whom we are "speaking" and we can have a reasonably civilised debate most of the time, safe in the knowledge that you're prepared to intervene if matters get out of hand. I think that a degree of inconsistency in moderation is inevitable in a post-moderated or a reactively moderated Forum. There are plenty of complaints about inconsistent moderation on the BBC Message Boards, where the task is undertaken not by a lone volunteer but by a team of paid staff.
The thoughts of
everyone are important as the question was not raised with anyone specific in mind...
I clearly won't allow a free for all as per "other" forums but please point out if I have missed or considered something acceptable which other people do not...
Re: Consistent Moderation and of course Complaints
Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:51 pm
by Carl Hibbard
David Sedgwick wrote:Keep up the good work. However, please don't expect me to nominate you for the ECF President's award just yet. There wouldn't be a lot of point.
How about ECF web site of the year then?

Re: Consistent Moderation and of course Complaints
Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:42 pm
by David Robertson
Sean Hewitt wrote:Prof Robertson killed off the Atticus forum which had hitherto been a centre of healthy discussion when he started abusing and belittling anyone on the forum who didn't agree with him. Unsurprisingly people didnt like it and took their discussions to a safer environment (ie here). We dont want the same thing to happen again, and so any moderation of personal insults or unfounded accusations is, in my opinion, perfectly justified
It's difficult to do justice to a doltish statement like this without belittling its author. Clearly no intelligence has gone into its production. Hardly surprising when the author is the sneering and snide Sean Hewitt, a parasite on other peoples' comments and efforts. The Atticus forum has not been 'killed off'; it is far quieter because, for the moment, I post here on matters of national concerns. The "healthy debates" on the Atticus forum were mostly started by myself, and began well before this ECF forum existed. It's hard to expect a national audience to join a specific club website - so hard that I couldn't imagine Sean Hewitt would get his slow wits around that. So the wholly unreliable and manipulative Sean Hewitt needs to be careful when he talks about "unfounded accusations". The charge can readily be applied to him.
David
Atticus CC
Re: Consistent Moderation and of course Complaints
Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:47 am
by Carl Hibbard
Been as it is still Christmas lets draw this topic to a nice quiet close and move on to subjects new please
Re: Consistent Moderation and of course Complaints
Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:29 am
by Sean Hewitt
David Robertson wrote:Sean Hewitt wrote:Prof Robertson killed off the Atticus forum which had hitherto been a centre of healthy discussion when he started abusing and belittling anyone on the forum who didn't agree with him. Unsurprisingly people didnt like it and took their discussions to a safer environment (ie here). We dont want the same thing to happen again, and so any moderation of personal insults or unfounded accusations is, in my opinion, perfectly justified
It's difficult to do justice to a doltish statement like this without belittling its author. Clearly no intelligence has gone into its production. Hardly surprising when the author is the sneering and snide Sean Hewitt, a parasite on other peoples' comments and efforts. The Atticus forum has not been 'killed off'; it is far quieter because, for the moment, I post here on matters of national concerns. The "healthy debates" on the Atticus forum were mostly started by myself, and began well before this ECF forum existed. It's hard to expect a national audience to join a specific club website - so hard that I couldn't imagine Sean Hewitt would get his slow wits around that. So the wholly unreliable and manipulative Sean Hewitt needs to be careful when he talks about "unfounded accusations". The charge can readily be applied to him.
David
Atticus CC
Seems like we touched a nerve!

Re: Consistent Moderation and of course Complaints
Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:07 pm
by David Robertson
Ernie Lazernby wrote:I dont think the Prof adds anything to this forum
Dear me, Ernie, desperate stuff. I can't believe there was any synapse activity as you wrote that. Also you might want to check whether Carl agrees with you
David
Atticus CC
Re: Consistent Moderation and of course Complaints
Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:08 pm
by Ben Purton
Ill happily say I lack intelligence

.............
