Performance Issues

Technical information will be posted here, use it to ask questions too.
Carl Hibbard

Performance Issues

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:38 pm

Some degrading of site performance down to packet loss etc but service provider are investigating.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Re: Performance Issues

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:32 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:Some degrading of site performance down to packet loss etc but service provider are investigating.
The issues are ongoing but we seem fine at the moment just a bit slower.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:30 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:Some degrading of site performance down to packet loss etc but service provider are investigating.
The issues are ongoing but we seem fine at the moment just a bit slower.
The performance levels are only now returning to normal.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Mark Jordan

Post by Mark Jordan » Mon May 02, 2016 12:45 pm

I quite frequently find that when I try to submit a post it is described as "invalid" on the first attempt but then goes through successfully the second time around. Odd. I also find myself logged-out sometime between starting and submitting a post which leads to it not being saved at all. Very annoying! Are you aware that there are more general problems of this kind or, as far as you know, am I the only unlucky one?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon May 02, 2016 12:58 pm

Mark Jordan wrote:I quite frequently find that when I try to submit a post it is described as "invalid" on the first attempt but then goes through successfully the second time around. Odd. I also find myself logged-out sometime between starting and submitting a post which leads to it not being saved at all. Very annoying! Are you aware that there are more general problems of this kind or, as far as you know, am I the only unlucky one?
That is a new one Mark what service provider are you using and which browser?

Anyone else seeing the above?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Mark Jordan

Post by Mark Jordan » Mon May 02, 2016 1:20 pm

I use Talk Talk and I'm usually on Google Chrome. I'm not aware of having similar issues on any other site. With ECForum neither happens all the time but often enough to be an annoyance.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon May 02, 2016 1:22 pm

Mark Jordan wrote:I use Talk Talk and I'm usually on Google Chrome. I'm not aware of having similar issues on any other site. With ECForum neither happens all the time but often enough to be an annoyance.
I need feedback from others please as nothing specific is known at this time.

Taking ages to compose and post (more than 30 minutes) might do it and some settings have changed for AOL users but that is about it, logging on from http://ecforum.org.uk instead of http://www.ecforum.org.uk might be problematic because of cookie issues but I think most of those were resolved ages ago.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon May 02, 2016 1:28 pm

Mark Jordan wrote:I use Talk Talk and I'm usually on Google Chrome.
Me too I think (Utilities warehouse use TalkTalk I believe) and I haven't had any problems
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon May 02, 2016 1:40 pm

Mark Jordan wrote:I use Talk Talk and I'm usually on Google Chrome. I'm not aware of having similar issues on any other site. With ECForum neither happens all the time but often enough to be an annoyance.
No sign of any errors in the software or in the server logs either sorry will have to await additional feedback.

A small increase in IPv6 traffic mostly from Sky is the only change recently.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Bill Porter

Post by Bill Porter » Mon May 02, 2016 6:03 pm

Persistent login not enabled might be the problem iff combined with a long enough delay for timeout between starting and submitting the post....

Or if the ip address has changed as often happens with me, I sometimes have to reauthenticate.

Maybe phpbb is getting more security conscious?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon May 02, 2016 6:07 pm

Bill Porter wrote:Persistent login not enabled might be the problem iff combined with a long enough delay for timeout between starting and submitting the post....

Or if the ip address has changed as often happens with me, I sometimes have to reauthenticate.

Should be fine we have some IP session validation although it is lower than the default to deal with AOL issues.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon May 02, 2016 6:09 pm

Also we are set as 60 day remember me logins.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon May 02, 2016 6:14 pm

Mark,

Another feature of the Board is that if, while composing a post, someone else posts to the same thread, your own post is queried and you are asked whether you wish still to post. I have often simply not realised that I've got to this screen, moved elsewhere without taking any action, and then wondered why my post failed. Just another possible explanation.

[Which has just happened with this very post - but I noticed it this time]

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon May 02, 2016 6:18 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:Mark,

Another feature of the Board is that if, while composing a post, someone else posts to the same thread, your own post is queried and you are asked whether you wish still to post. I have often simply not realised that I've got to this screen, moved elsewhere without taking any action, and then wondered why my post failed. Just another possible explanation.

[Which has just happened with this very post - but I noticed it this time]
Yes that feature I don't like.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon May 02, 2016 7:03 pm

Bill Porter wrote:Persistent login not enabled might be the problem iff combined with a long enough delay for timeout between starting and submitting the post....

Of course if you use multiple devices to access here the 60 days resets at different points.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard