Windows 10 upgrade prob...can anyone assist?

Technical information will be posted here, use it to ask questions too.
Brian Whitaker

Windows 10 upgrade prob...can anyone assist?

Post by Brian Whitaker » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:13 pm

After many months of Microsoft's annoying pop-ups prompting me to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I decided to give it a go recently...I wish I hadn't bothered!!
The immediate problem I had when I upgraded was that I didn't have any media sound. As I didn't like the look and feel of Windows 10 anyway I decided to revert back. Great, sound came back and everything looked OK...until, that is, next time I tried to print something. I found my printer just sat and did nothing, and there were no error messages on the screen.
After much troubleshooting the final consensus was that there is a problem with the Print Spooler file. Now, I've tried reinstalling the printer driver files twice, but to no avail, so I can only assume that the Print Spooler file is a Windows file? I don't have original Windows 7 discs so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do. Has anyone experienced a similar problem and do they know of a solution? I would appreciate any help anyone can offer.
My computer is a Toshiba Qosmio laptop and my printer/scanner is a HP C5280.
Cheers :D

John Upham

Re: Windows 10 upgrade prob...can anyone assist?

Post by John Upham » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:12 am

Did you create a manual restore point prior to starting with the "upgrade"?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:18 am

Having involuntarily had my own laptop upgraded to Windows 10 (from Windows v8) I have found that it doesn't take too long to get used to it.

As is normal some of the default settings needed updating.

I suggest that sticking with Windows 10 might be the best option for you too!
Last edited by Michael Flatt on Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:27 am

My first impressions are quite favourable. I've upgraded a desktop and a laptop previously running Windows 7 Premium. They both boot and shutdown quicker. Applications open faster and close faster. The cooling fan fires up less often.

It was annoying for it to announce that it had replaced Norton Security with Windows Defender without giving me any choice.

It refuses to remember my choice that Google Chrome should be the default browser client.

Apart from that...
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:38 am

John Upham wrote:It refuses to remember my choice that Google Chrome should be the default browser client
I don't have that problem, maybe you need an IT expert :lol:

I upgraded my laptop, big improvement from Windows 8, and my desktop, seems fine not that I had a problem with Windows 7 :D
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:48 am

Brian Whitaker wrote:After many months of Microsoft's annoying pop-ups prompting me to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I decided to give it a go recently...I wish I hadn't bothered!!
The immediate problem I had when I upgraded was that I didn't have any media sound. As I didn't like the look and feel of Windows 10 anyway I decided to revert back. Great, sound came back and everything looked OK...until, that is, next time I tried to print something. I found my printer just sat and did nothing, and there were no error messages on the screen.
After much troubleshooting the final consensus was that there is a problem with the Print Spooler file. Now, I've tried reinstalling the printer driver files twice, but to no avail, so I can only assume that the Print Spooler file is a Windows file? I don't have original Windows 7 discs so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do. Has anyone experienced a similar problem and do they know of a solution? I would appreciate any help anyone can offer.
My computer is a Toshiba Qosmio laptop and my printer/scanner is a HP C5280.
Cheers :D
You've googled something like 'windows spooler folder'?... You might try stopping the printer spooler service, clearing out the spooler folder, restarting the service.

I also had a problem upgrading (a desktop) from W7 to W10 - there was no W10 driver for my, admittedly old, graphics card. I reverted back to W7 and found that backups no longer worked.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:10 am

This may help with the print spooler problem: http://www.sysprobs.com/print-spooler-s ... ically-fix. I think it's pretty much what Angus French suggests, but spelt out in detail.

On the general issue of Windows 10, I've upgraded four machines of various vintages without problems. An eight-year-old desktop that originally ran Windows XP, followed by Windows 7, now zips along as quickly as when it was new.