Advertising Clubs on Internet Chess Sites

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Michele Clack

Advertising Clubs on Internet Chess Sites

Post by Michele Clack » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:18 pm

Has anyone tried advertising their chess club on an internet chess website? If they have which were the best sites to try it on?

Sean Hewitt

Re: Advertising Clubs on Internet Chess Sites

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:03 am

michele clack wrote:Has anyone tried advertising their chess club on an internet chess website? If they have which were the best sites to try it on?
Yes. For us, the ECF website was the most effective.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:32 am

In the last year, without specifically advertising, I've had two mums who have found me through the London League website wanting to know whether their daughters could join our Club. I guess they have Googled "London" and "Chess" and came up with the London League website. So if you want to advertise a London Club that might be a good place if John Upham is up for selling space. Unfortunately my Club can't take Juniors (indeed most adults don't qualify either!) so I redirected both enquiries elsewhere - the latest towards Richmond (as she lives in Chelsea).

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:36 am

David Gilbert wrote:Unfortunately my Club can't take Juniors (indeed most adults don't qualify either!) so I redirected both enquiries elsewhere - the latest towards Richmond (as she lives in Chelsea).
:D - thanks David

Michele Clack

Post by Michele Clack » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:12 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of the internet sites where people actually play chess. Young people we are picking up as members all seem to be playing online and I'm wondering if there might be an untapped market there. It may be that all those who want to start playing OTB chess locally find us. I did wonder though whether there might be people playing chess online who hadn't thought about branching out to OTB chess but might be interested if they saw an advertisement. I'm not sure which are the most popular sites and whether they take adverts at all.

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:34 pm

I'd suggest: http://www.chess.com/local is a good place to start.

Michele Clack

Post by Michele Clack » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:10 pm

Thanks for that I've put our club on there. Looks an interesting site I'll have to explore it.

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:39 pm

Pentagram have put a lot of effort into the design of World Chess.

http://new.pentagram.com/2012/10/new-work-world-chess/

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:04 am

John Foley wrote:Pentagram have put a lot of effort into the design of World Chess.
I wouldn't disagree, but the absence of spectators including journalists is something of a negative.

(edit) to clarify meaning (/edit)
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:42 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
even journalists is something of a negative.
Roger,

How many days did you attend the press and media suite for the event?
I did not see you there but maybe I am mistaken.

J.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:26 am

John Foley wrote:Pentagram have put a lot of effort into the design of World Chess.

http://new.pentagram.com/2012/10/new-work-world-chess/
It all seems a bit like management consultant, mumbo jumbo jibberish to me. I did notice this particularly eloquent passage

"Partners John Rushworth, Daniel Weil and Naresh Ramchandani first created a system of names. They named Paulson’s organisation World Chess, reflecting the World Chess Championship and chess as a world game. This led to a system of names for each competition: World Chess Championship, World Chess Blitz Championship, World Chess Junior Championship, and so on."

Is Paulson involved with the World Junior Chess Championships? or is the World Chess Junior Championships something difference?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:18 am

John Upham wrote: How many days did you attend the press and media suite for the event?
I was referring to the absence of spectators and journalists. Even the ex BCM editors reported that they were only allowed to be in the room with the players in the first few minutes whilst photos were allowed.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:13 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
John Upham wrote: How many days did you attend the press and media suite for the event?
I was referring to the absence of spectators and journalists. Even the ex BCM editors reported that they were only allowed to be in the room with the players in the first few minutes whilst photos were allowed.
Journalists were provided for in the press & media suite next door. They had full access to the live CCTV feeds and games. Many chess and other celebrities came and went as the days wore on.

If one spoke nicely to the Chief Arbiter then one was permitted back into the playing area. Unlike yourself, I was actually there.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:58 am

John Upham wrote:Unlike yourself, I was actually there.
That is perhaps the point. An organisation which is intending to market chess as something to watch, does not objectively get off to a good start by excluding the public from its first event.

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:30 am

If any club would like a brief plug in The British Chess Magazine I am more than happy to oblige. Perhaps they would contact me direct <[email protected]>. No charge.

www.britishchessmagazine.co.uk

James Pratt
BCM Editor