FIDE rule change: no phones in playing venue AT ALL

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
LawrenceCooper

Re: FIDE rule change: no phones in playing venue AT ALL

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:42 pm

Ironically, I've just heard via facebook that a current ECF director won his league game tonight by virtue of his opponent's mobile going off :lol:

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:02 pm

Going back to the original post, the link there says that the next article makes it possible for people to bring mobile phones to the venue if the organiser OKs it(?):

'However, based on tournament practice the next article could create some relief ...”The rules of a competition may specify a different, less severe, penalty.” You better make sure at the start of a tournament which rules apply, and organisers should think about the best way to treat this issue in advance.'

So does anyone know what is happening at the London Classic FIDE Open etc?

Edit - Oh wait I just realised it is from July 2013! So we can kick the can down the road....

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:06 pm

Last Sat a leading arbiter lost a game when there phone went off lol
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

IanDavis

Post by IanDavis » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:35 pm

A question on that rule: "Without the permission of the arbiter a player is forbidden to have a mobile phone or other electronic means of communication in the playing venue, unless they are completely switched off. If any such device produces a sound, the player shall lose the game. The opponent shall win. However, if the opponent cannot win the game by any series of legal moves, his score shall be a draw."

It does strike me as being a little bit confused. The rule appears to lump this problem (making a loud noise in the playing venue) with that of cheating via an electronic device. Is that actually necessary, and is it really desirable?

Why not just have a rule that states something like "No electronic means of communication is permitted to be brought into the playing venue without the arbiter's permission. If any such device is discovered, the player shall forfeit the game."

Why? Well you already have 12.6 "It is forbidden to distract or annoy the opponent in any manner whatsoever. This includes unreasonable claims, unreasonable offers of a draw or the introduction of a source of noise into the playing area."

The rule seems to be an unnecessary, knee-jerk reaction to the problem of annoying ringtones. Nowadays, people are used to annoying ringtones, and no longer become as irritated by them as they once did. Yet, despite that social evolution, the rule remains in place. I see no obvious merit to that.

Andy McCulloch

Post by Andy McCulloch » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:11 am

I seem to recall that the bit about 'the introduction of a source of noise' was added to the rules ayear or more after the rule about phones going off.

John Cox

Post by John Cox » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:51 am

>The above link suggests: "So, leave it at home, in the car or at your hotel room." which I don't think is such a good idea, safety-wise (theft) or practically (need to contact people between rounds etc.)

Good grief. I'm sure I remember a time when people didn't have mobile phones at all. Perhaps I dreamed it.

"Need" to contact people between rounds FFS. First world problems, my friend, first world problems.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:08 pm

John Cox wrote: "Need" to contact people between rounds FFS. First world problems, my friend, first world problems.
There's another practical reason why players take phones with them to chess events. It's to find out the pairings for the next round whilst not at the venue. This applies even in events that are one round a day, since pairings are often available by 9 pm, early enough to discuss over a pint or two.

For the first round of the London Classic Open, I could imagine the pairings not being available more than an hour or so before play, so you take the phone so as to check whilst on the train.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:20 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:For the first round of the London Classic Open, I could imagine the pairings not being available more than an hour or so before play, so you take the phone so as to check whilst on the train.
They should be available Friday night. Exactly when is dependent upon FIDE publishing the December rating list at 10pm which they have told me they will. That being the case, I plan for the draw will be up before midnight. Magnus will be drawing colours at tomorrows press conference at 1pm.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:19 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote: They (London Classic Open pairings) should be available Friday night.
i suppose the other question is whether accelerated pairings will be used.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:20 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote: They (London Classic Open pairings) should be available Friday night.
i suppose the other question is whether accelerated pairings will be used.
Good question. Do you think we should or not?

Michael Bennett

Post by Michael Bennett » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:33 pm

With respect Sean, I don't think you should let Roger decide. You're the boss :)
Michael Bennett
Hendon Chess Club: http://www.hendonchessclub.com
Golders Green Rapidplays: http://www.goldersgreenchess.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:34 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote: Good question. Do you think we should or not?
It's a widely spread field so some of the arguments in favour come into play, such as improving chances for norm seekers. In practice, the effect of acceleration is to postpone the first round mismatches to the third or fourth rounds.

I seem to think it was accelerated last year as I got Richard Pert in the first round. The field seems wider or perhaps stronger this year as with about the same rating I'm in the third quartile. So without acceleration, I would get someone of the standard of Richard again, but with, a player in the fourth quartile.

David Lettington

Post by David Lettington » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:01 pm

John Cox wrote:Good grief. I'm sure I remember a time when people didn't have mobile phones at all. Perhaps I dreamed it.

"Need" to contact people between rounds FFS. First world problems, my friend, first world problems.
I have a vague recollection of that time too; but that time is in the past and we can't pretend that it isn't. Personally, I find ringing mobiles during a game to be intensely irritating and highly distracting. I also think that defaulting the game is an appropriate punishment for such an infraction.

It may be a "first world problem", but mobile phones give people a certain freedom and access to information that they didn't have in previous years. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that this helps people to live their lives they way that wish to and it certainly makes life simpler. It's not a problem that will disappear and, as such, needs to be taken account of, even in chess. Having said all this, I see no need for the new rule to be applied in amateur competitions, it's too draconian even for my taste.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:06 pm

I can confirm that there will be no accelerated pairings in the FIDE Open.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:12 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: I seem to think it was accelerated last year as I got Richard Pert in the first round.
Top board pairing: Rogers (2061) v Gupta (2640)
Board 105 pairing (not confident boards below this are in seeding order): Steinhart (1594) v Barton (2073).

Conclusion: not accelerated.