Beware the mating net....

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Nick Burrows

Beware the mating net....

Post by Nick Burrows » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:11 am

In my last round game at the E2-E4 Chester Congress I played against the talented Junior Imogen Camp.

After a very dry London System, I gradually eked out an advantage and we eventually reached the following position. Imogen has just played 53. f4

How to progress was not entirely clear, as whenever black's rook leaves base, whites rook gives my King a headache. There followed:

53. .... Nc4
54. Kf2 Rb7
55. Ra1 Nd2
56. Ke2 Ne4
57. Kf3!?! From her facial expressions I believe Imogen had missed the 'mating net' but it is actually a very good move!

57. .... Rb2??
58. Ra7+ Kf8
59. Rf7!! A firm slap with a wet fish! Well played!

59. .... Ke8
60. Re7+ Kd8
61. Rd7+ Kc8
62. Rc7+ Kb8
63. Rc8+

1/2 - 1/2

So be careful that whenever you weave a mating net, you have not in fact knitted yourself a very stale net instead!

Greg Breed

Re: Beware the mating net....

Post by Greg Breed » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:59 am

Haha very good Imogen! Hard cheese Nick but a lesson learned :)
Don't feel bad, many of us could have fallen for it, myself included. These juniors are very sharp!
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:58 am

So awesome!! Well done Imogen for remembering this and finding it at a difficult time in a game! Excellent!

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:45 am

Sabrina Chevannes wrote:So awesome!! Well done Imogen for remembering this and finding it at a difficult time in a game! Excellent!
And credit to Nick for telling the story against himself. How many of us would have been tempted to keep very quiet?

Ian Stephens

Post by Ian Stephens » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:36 pm

Ouch Nick, that "Rf7+ slap" must of hurt!! :lol: Chapeau! to Imogen Camp, I searched for two such finishes to my games at Chester but just got mated! :(
Ex-President of Liverpool Chess Club, now mere Tournament Controller and Chief bottle washer.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:28 pm

Yeah... Kudos for posting it!

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:59 am

I came across "The Polish Immortal" today. Like Wow dude!
This shows the difference between super GM's and the rest.

The key position (can you believe it?) is from move 13 for black. Najdorf had to have calculated the variations until the end to go for it!!!

Glücksberg-Najdorf
Warsaw 1935

(edit: Now that I know how to input variations and comments I have updated this jewel.)

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:07 pm

I found a wonderful chess problem today on Shredder Chess. Talk about a mating net!!!

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:02 pm

Greg Breed wrote:I found a wonderful chess problem today on Shredder Chess. Talk about a mating net!!!

Ace!

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:32 pm

Pin-erefic!

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:02 pm

Nice!

A beautiful game from Nardojf but actually not so terribly hard to play :) I could imagine a club player doing it.

'All' black actually needs to do to play that game is to notice Bg1 as an idea, notice that he has at least a forced draw on moves 17/18 with very clear potential for more, play to that position and then calculate the forced finish. The first bit might almost be the hardest as the rest is so very cleanly forced.

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:02 am

Unfortately the chess website does not exist anymore, and therefore notation of the game does not exist and I can't remember the exact position now. But I got a draw with no pawn advancement or capture for 50 moves by exactly this sort of method.

My king didn't have a legal move in the game, my pawns were all blocked from going forward, but I still had a rook. I was losing heavily in material.

My opponent had being giving me loads of checks thoughout the period before in the game, but this move was not a check. As I was about to play my king, I realised that playing it, would move the king into check. Suddenly stumped for a move I looked at anywhere I could move my king thinking the exact same thing, anywhere I moved the king was moving it into check.

Heres the thing, I realised I could get a stalemate ALMOST INSTANTLY. It was just some sort of instinct I had, it wasn't as if I remembered an exact position or anything! It was just something that clicked in my brain.

This of course required me getting rid of a rook I didn't need. So I spent the entire 50 moves playing checks with my rook right next to their king. They worked out it was also a stalemate had they took the rook, so spent the entire 50 moves moving the king away from my rook! Eventually I managed to get the draw after 50 moves.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:30 am

David Blower wrote: They worked out it was also a stalemate had they took the rook, so spent the entire 50 moves moving the king away from my rook! Eventually I managed to get the draw after 50 moves.
Rather bad manners by your opponent I would have thought. By all means play a few moves to check that there wasn't an escape from the checks, but it shouldn't need fifty.

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:14 pm

Yes, but they were frustrated because they were winning in material.

They kept typing things in chat such as: "I've won this game, now just let me win." "Your just sad, looking anyway possible for a draw." Etc.

They refused all my draw offers. I didn't bother to reply so had to just make all the moves.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:06 pm

David Blower wrote: Eventually I managed to get the draw after 50 moves.
If you were just giving check with a single rook, then I'd be surprised if there wasn't a 3-fold repetition well before the 50 moves were up?