Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Stewart Reuben

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:15 pm

DANCING ON THE EDGE series included a segment where two of the chief protagonists played chess on an extremely ornate set. You see the set as a prop in the final segment as well.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:09 am

I was spammed as follows:
View Anyone's Criminal History
-- Instant Checkmate

Of course I didn't investigate any further.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:44 am

Just heard some good coverage of the Candidates Tournament on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, this morning at 8.20.

I think it should be possible to listen to it on iplayer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r5q3h/live

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:57 am

Clive Blackburn wrote:Just heard some good coverage of the Candidates Tournament on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, this morning at 8.20.

I think it should be possible to listen to it on iplayer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r5q3h/live
Yeah I listened to it too, perhaps a sign.

John Humphries is one of the main voices of the Beeb, he said that after many years he has started playing again, because his son has started to play.

He actually had a game with Dominic Lawson live on the air, apparently Lawson is a county player, so that was a bit pointless.

All we need now is to see it on TV.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:09 am

PeterTurland wrote: John Humphries is one of the main voices of the Beeb, he said that after many years he has started playing again, because his son has started to play.
Yes Peter, what really came across in the interview was John Humphries sheer enjoyment of chess. They played a Blitz game live in the studio and of course Dominic Lawson beat him easily but he was still loving every minute of it!

I wonder if anybody kept a score so that they can put the game on the BBC web site? :D

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:21 am

PeterTurland wrote:....apparently Lawson is a county player....
Yes, he has a current ECF grading of 185

http://www.ecfgrading.org.uk/?ref=274097H

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:09 am

The Humphrys-Lawson interview has been given its own page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21798090. No need to fiddle about with iPlayer.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:34 am

Thanks for that Ian - no game score though, what a pity :cry:

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:51 am

Ian Kingston wrote:The Humphrys-Lawson interview has been given its own page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21798090. No need to fiddle about with iPlayer.

Thanks Ian. What a good interview. Probably the best chess interview I've heard heard. One small blemish - citing the obvious nonsense that was the YouGov poll - but superb stuff.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:56 am

Commenting on acts of violence by a minority of returning soldiers, Prof Simon Wessely, from King's College London, told the BBC: "Those who are in combat roles are themselves slightly different from those who are not. The military don't select chess-playing choir boys

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:15 pm

David Robertson wrote:Commenting on acts of violence by a minority of returning soldiers, Prof Simon Wessely, from King's College London, told the BBC: "Those who are in combat roles are themselves slightly different from those who are not. The military don't select chess-playing choir boys

Lots of soldiers play chess as a way to relax when coming back to barracks after busy day working defending UK. :D
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:20 pm

During last night's Europa League coverage one of the Ladbrokes sponsorship slots featured Chris Kamara studying chess: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjL2GDFmfdY.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:33 pm

I couldn't identify which chess book Chris Kamara was studying.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:43 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:I couldn't identify which chess book Chris Kamara was studying.
The title looks like 'Celebrity Chess'. A couple of quick searches of the British Library and Library of Congress catalogues shows no book of that title, so I suspect it's just a mocked up jacket.

Matt Fletcher

Post by Matt Fletcher » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:04 pm

Clive Blackburn wrote:Thanks for that Ian - no game score though, what a pity :cry:
Dominic regularly plays on the board above me for Pimlico - will ask if he can remember the moves next time I see him.

Slightly amusing that the BBC describes him as a "country player" (rather than "county player") - just imagining Dominic wearing a cowboy hat and playing the guitar... :lol: