WHO'S GOING TO TORQUAY?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Gilbert

WHO'S GOING TO TORQUAY?

Post by David Gilbert » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:23 pm

Holidays are coming. Sun, sand and sea. Train journeys, cricket and chess. Anyone else off to Torquay this Summer? Probably most people’s idea of the top venue for the British - the Riveria Centre.

In 2002 my daughter told me she was going on holiday with her school friends. Someone said why not come down to Torquay to play at the British? “What, spend my holidays playing chess?” There were no other offers, so I did, and I’ve been hooked ever since. This year my daughter’s spending two weeks in Argentina. Her choice! A few years ago she had one week in China and another in North Korea. Her choice!

I’m off to Torquay again. My choice! There are 65 entries so far (mine should appear soon). Jack's in, and some other regulars. Let's get numbers up to a thousand! Holidays are coming! I’m so excited!

Roger de Coverly

Re: WHO'S GOING TO TORQUAY?

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:53 pm

David Gilbert wrote: Jack's in, and some other regulars.
I hadn't realised the website was up and running. The entry list is using the Tournament Director site
http://www.tournamentdirector.co.uk/results/

The entry conditions are both ambiguous and discriminatory. What is an "English" player in a non-FIDE context?
In all events other than the Under 8 Championship, English players MUST be members of the English Chess Federation.

Dan O'Dowd

Post by Dan O'Dowd » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:56 pm

Yo! I'll be coming with my buddy from Cockermouth, hopefully to terrorise the U160 again (see if we can improve on our joint 2nd each last time) and I personally wanna go one better with podium in the U180! Also hoping to make a better performance in one of the PM opens, perhaps 3/5 or higher!

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:46 am

I will be going (arriving on the Wednesday to allow for a day and a half of sightseeing before playing in the weekender). I'll be accompanied by a friend who is a very poor beginner but always enjoys the atmosphere of these things. I'm sure my games will be of the usual dismal standard but I'm looking forward to a change of scenery and the chance to play chess in an excellent venue while seeing the country's elite in action.

I am looking forward to it immensely.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:56 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:the chance to play chess in an excellent venue
I think Lara was there in 2009, so will be wise to the problem. If someone or something sets off the fire alarm during a rain storm, the vents in the roof will automatically open. This lets the hypothetical smoke out, but lets the rain in. Bad news if DGT boards have been positioned under the opening vents.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:32 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Andrew Zigmond wrote:the chance to play chess in an excellent venue
I think Lara was there in 2009, so will be wise to the problem. If someone or something sets off the fire alarm during a rain storm, the vents in the roof will automatically open. This lets the hypothetical smoke out, but lets the rain in. Bad news if DGT boards have been positioned under the opening vents.
Cut the hypothetical smoke, are you coming Roger? Holidays are coming.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:41 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:......arriving on the Wednesday to allow for a day and a half of sightseeing before playing in the weekender...
Fantastic! I can recommend the steam train from Paignton down to Dartmouth (stopping off at Greenway Halt to visit Agatha Christie's house), then a boat trip along the River Dart to Totnes, and the bus back from Totnes to Paignton. How many people did this as children? It's still wonderful and Dartmouth always seems to be buzzing.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:53 am

Morning all

We be watching the action from Torquay in the comfort of our home.Hope we have lots of live boards to look at in many sections. The venue is very good and the town city has some very nice places to eat.Try to visit the sea front make a sandcastle and go to the habour and watch the boats.At night the boats look wonderful lit up.There are some very good hotels in Torquay but you may need to book well in advance if you require 11 nights.

Time for coffee.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:14 pm

Myself and fellow Leeds Congress organiser, and regular chess travelling buddy, Dave Summerland were thinking of coming down, however Dave has been doing the maths and thinks it will be a little bit expensive for him - I’ve not quite given up hope of talking my partner into coming with me, with the old “I’ll only be playing Chess in the morning, darling! Then we can shop” line - I’ll have to see :lol:

Failing that, I will certainly come for one of the weekend events, and be watching all the action from the live boards online.

And please remember, just before the British, the 2nd Leeds Chess Congress takes place 19-21th July http://www.leedschesscongress.org.uk/congress2013.htm - The ideal Warm-Up! :D
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:21 pm

I guess you might have to wait and see whether it is white smoke or black smoke.

Typical of a chess player to be more worried about the DGT boards than getting wet! :)

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:58 pm

Graham Borrowdale wrote:
I guess you might have to wait and see whether it is white smoke or black smoke.

Typical of a chess player to be more worried about the DGT boards than getting wet! :)
I'm guessing the DGT boards were plugged into the mains somewhere in which case the rain would have been a problem. That said dying of smoke inhalation wouldn't be much fun either and the upside of fire alarms going off at innopportune moments is that at least you know they work!
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:10 pm

I met with the English Riviera Centre Staff yesterday at Confex and we discussed various ways of making the 100th British Chess Championships even more attractive.
A tournament conducted on a Ferris Wheel, that I didn't know about, seems eminently practical. I am still looking for a volunteer to be in charge of a Living chess Display project. It is a substantial undertaking and should be somebody's sole responsibility.
Will enough people want a formal celebratory dinner, similar to the one we had in 2004?
A chess/swiming tournament is another possibility.
Eleswhere on the forum there are over 90 ideas.

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:06 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: Eleswhere on the forum there are over 90 ideas.
Of which no doubt, over ninety will be rejected.
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:05 pm

More importantly can we expect Family Camp again this year - it wouldn't be the same with out you!

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:09 pm

David Gilbert wrote:More importantly can we expect Family Camp again this year - it wouldn't be the same with out you!
Yes, accomodation booked for the full fortnight. :)
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]