Chess row in Cork

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Andrew Zigmond
Posts: 1751
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Harrogate

Re: Chess row in Cork

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:57 pm

Alistair Campbell wrote:
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Assault is assault, simple as.
Unless it's battery? I'd always understood, perhaps incorrectly, that assault didn't involve physical contact. Once the punches allegedly start flying, then it's battery, or GBH or ABH or something. Of course, that is English law, and Irish law is different. (As is Scots Law, in this case. Incidentally, I believe "the big man" in the Polmont station incident was never prosecuted).

More importantly, do we know how the grading prizes were to be awarded??
In that it's not acceptable in any context was my (not very well made) point. Of course there are degrees of assault.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

John Moore
Posts: 1870
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: Chess row in Cork

Post by John Moore » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:40 pm

If I ever play chess in Ireland again, I shall be very nervous about using the toilet cubicles (for my mid-morning read of the paper) in case some crazed nutter batters the door down.

IanDavis
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:41 pm

Re: Chess row in Cork

Post by IanDavis » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:45 pm

Of course, this isn't the first case of assault involving a minor at a tournament held in Cork. :)

I wonder if they should have published the results table in a circumstance like this...

Andrew Zigmond
Posts: 1751
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Harrogate

Re: Chess row in Cork

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:52 pm

IanDavis wrote:Of course, this isn't the first case of assault involving a minor at a tournament held in Cork. :)

I wonder if they should have published the results table in a circumstance like this...
Agreed as everybody knows the name of the minor involved in this incident now. The table could have been published with the name redacted.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

User avatar
IM Jack Rudd
Posts: 4043
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Bideford

Re: Chess row in Cork

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:53 pm

IanDavis wrote:I wonder if they should have published the results table in a circumstance like this...
Yes, they should. Failure to publish a results table automatically triggers a "what's going on?" response, and draws attention to the tournament anyway.

John Moore
Posts: 1870
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: Chess row in Cork

Post by John Moore » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:57 pm

And puts all the juniors under suspicion?

Paul Douglass
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:47 am

Re: Chess row in Cork

Post by Paul Douglass » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:20 pm

Said "victim" should have shut up. It transpires he is not whiter than white.

With regards to the "suspected" cheat - lets hope it wasn't true. If so, a blanket ban from competitive chess is the only punishment. Punitive but fair.

Why people cheat at this game is beyond me. Grading obsessed freaks if you ask me (not as it there's plenty of cash to obsess about!).
Paul Douglass

"Every time I win a tournament I have to think that there is something wrong with modern chess." - Victor Korchnoi

Andrew Zigmond
Posts: 1751
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Harrogate

Re: Chess row in Cork

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:22 pm

The most recent board minutes have surfaced on another thread. http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... -Final.pdf

Of interest is reference (page 3) to another cheating incident involving a junior and a mobile phone app. Is this the same one; the lapse of time and the fact that this thread refers to an incident in Ireland makes me suspect not.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

IanDavis
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:41 pm

Re: Chess row in Cork

Post by IanDavis » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:32 pm

Why are these in the January 2010 folder?

Andrew Zigmond
Posts: 1751
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Harrogate

Re: Chess row in Cork

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:35 pm

Paul Douglass wrote:Said "victim" should have shut up. It transpires he is not whiter than white.

With regards to the "suspected" cheat - lets hope it wasn't true. If so, a blanket ban from competitive chess is the only punishment. Punitive but fair.

Why people cheat at this game is beyond me. Grading obsessed freaks if you ask me (not as it there's plenty of cash to obsess about!).
Given that he was only sixteen I'm assuming you mean a temporary ban rather than a permanant one. That said, given that he's already reaped a far harsher punishment than he deserved and was presumably left shaken at the very least, it will probably be a while before he has the stomach to look at a chess board again.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 18646
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Chess row in Cork

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:57 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote: Of interest is reference (page 3) to another cheating incident involving a junior and a mobile phone app. Is this the same one; the lapse of time and the fact that this thread refers to an incident in Ireland makes me suspect not.
The ECF board meeting was in March and the Cork incident in April. I don't think they are connected other than a possible perception by younger players that they can try it on.

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7481
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Chess row in Cork

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:02 am

I'm wondering what the right way is to act when you suspect something like this is going on. I've not seen any sign that the ECF are going to issue any guidance or that they have procedures in place to issue sanctions. What would people here suggest would be appropriate guidance for: (i) A player who suspects their opponent is utilising external assistance? (ii) A player who is accused by their opponent of utilising external assistance? (iii) An organiser who is asked to deal with allegations that a player is utilising external assistance?

Andrew Zigmond
Posts: 1751
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Harrogate

Re: Chess row in Cork

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:05 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Andrew Zigmond wrote: Of interest is reference (page 3) to another cheating incident involving a junior and a mobile phone app. Is this the same one; the lapse of time and the fact that this thread refers to an incident in Ireland makes me suspect not.
The ECF board meeting was in March and the Cork incident in April. I don't think they are connected other than a possible perception by younger players that they can try it on.
Or that it's rife generally and that teenagers are more likely to be challenged than adult players.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

User avatar
IM Jack Rudd
Posts: 4043
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Bideford

Re: Chess row in Cork

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:07 am

(i) is easy enough: summon the arbiter. (ii) is also easy enough: co-operate with the arbiter's investigation. (iii) is a lot trickier, and will depend upon the case.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 18646
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Chess row in Cork

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:16 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote: Or that it's rife generally and that teenagers are more likely to be challenged than adult players.
If you want to avoid accusations, you stay at or near the board for the whole duration of the game.

Post Reply