Wood Green

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Andrew Bak

Wood Green

Post by Andrew Bak » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:42 am

I've just looked at Wood Green's latest registrations - is this some kind of joke?!

Aronian, Kramnik, Radjabov, Anand, Caruana, Topalov, Nakamura, Mamedyarov, Ivanchuk, Svidler, Gelfand and more!

Who has Magnus signed for?

Ben Purton

Re: Wood Green

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:44 am

Disgraceful........in one word.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:45 am

:shock: Perhaps this should be in the "Is this fair?" thread?.... lol
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:00 am

I just checked the 4NCL website, and this is true!

http://www.4ncl.livechess.co.uk/reg/4NC ... 3.html#wgn

Presumably to stop others using them. Would be surprised to see them all at the final weekend... I think only Navara of the new registrations has played 4NCL before. Possibly Sutovsky and Mamedyarov as well.

Incidentally, the 4NCL report in the May CHESS appears to be available from the 4NCL website before subscribers get the magazine (or maybe my postal service is being very slow this month)!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:07 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I just checked the 4NCL website, and this is true!
The likely story is that just one or maybe none of these players are signed to play and it's a pre-emptive strike to prevent any of Wood Green's rivals bussing in one of these stars.

The traditional approach to hired guns is to keep them under wraps and only disclose them with the team list at around 12.30 on the Saturday.
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:14 am

2.2 A player who has not given explicit consent will be considered to be validly registered for the team including him/her on its registration list, but until he/she has played for the team he/she remains free to play for other teams subject to the requirements of sections 3 and 4 of these rules.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:21 am

Its poor show by Wood Green Mike.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:23 am

As Mike points out, if any of those players has not expressly consented to be registered, he can still play for another team. It is always possible, I suppose, that some of them have consented to be registered "for consideration" even if they won't actually play, and weird though that is, I suppose it is OK - both parties get something from it and I don't think that the 4NCL (nor chess worldwide) is yet professional enough for us to talk about "restraint of trade"here ...

I'd actually prefer that to be the explanation than that WG really are going to play seven players over 2700, none of whom has played for the team before. That's right, none of them has played for WG: though Svidler played in the past for Guildford (and Beeson Gregory) and Navara for the Sharks.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:43 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:As Mike points out, if any of those players has not expressly consented to be registered, he can still play for another team. It is always possible, I suppose, that some of them have consented to be registered "for consideration" even if they won't actually play, and weird though that is, I suppose it is OK - both parties get something from it and I don't think that the 4NCL (nor chess worldwide) is yet professional enough for us to talk about "restraint of trade"here ...

I'd actually prefer that to be the explanation than that WG really are going to play seven players over 2700, none of whom has played for the team before. That's right, none of them has played for WG: though Svidler played in the past for Guildford (and Beeson Gregory) and Navara for the Sharks.
Shirov has played for Wood Green, albeit as the token male when they had seven women in the team :lol:

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:54 pm

Sutovsky has played in the 4NCL before. Last time was back in the 2005-6 season (don't know which team he played for):

http://www.ecfgrading.org.uk/?ref=22187 ... =453339798

Not Mamedyarov, though. His ECF grade comes from playing in the Gibraltar Masters.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:58 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Sutovsky has played in the 4NCL before. Last time was back in the 2005-6 season (don't know which team he played for):

http://www.ecfgrading.org.uk/?ref=22187 ... =453339798

Not Mamedyarov, though. His ECF grade comes from playing in the Gibraltar Masters.
Guildford.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:03 pm

In fact Sutovsky is Wood Green's bogeyman - he score 3/3 for Guildford against them in the three title deciders between 2004-2006, although only once did Guildford land the title on account of him.

Yes, Shirov played a reasonable number of games for Wood Green during that same time frame too - I hadn't noticed his name when I said that none of the players had previously played for them (it was the only name not mentioned above).

Presumably the new registrations are mostly "jokes" and the aim is to prevent Guildford from guessing who the two or three "real" additions might be?

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:36 pm

I find it very disspiriting. What level of egoism and personality disorder is required to resort to such nonsense? Where is the pleasure in a title won by such means? And of the players displaced, what do they say?

I guess this has all been vented over the years, in private if not here. "Poor show" is the least of it.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:37 pm

They are allegedly being flown over for the match from Norway.

Note that the pilot has also been registered!
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:38 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Presumably the new registrations are mostly "jokes" and the aim is to prevent Guildford from guessing who the two or three "real" additions might be?
Possibly Luis Suarez - he's not likely to be doing much over the weekend - add some bite to the middle order. :roll: