Arbiter Courses

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul McKeown

Arbiter Courses

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:56 pm

Are any taking place in the south east of England in the next few months? Is there a published timetable somewhere?

LawrenceCooper

Re: arbiter courses

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:57 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Are any taking place in the south east of England in the next few months? Is there a published timetable somewhere?
ECF or FIDE?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:33 pm

I'm hoping to arrange a FIDE Arbiters' Seminar in England some time later this year, but there are no firm plans as yet.

I can't say anything about ECF Arbiter training.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:57 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:I can't say anything about ECF Arbiter training
We understand. You can never be too careful. Walls have ears.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:36 pm

David Robertson wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:I can't say anything about ECF Arbiter training
We understand. You can never be too careful. Walls have ears.
....but Lyons Maid have Mivvi.

(or maybe not http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22350928)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:52 pm

There have been attempts to run ECF arbiter courses chaired by David Welch at Wellington College in recent times but take-up was poor and they did not take place.

Prior to that a couple did take place.

I would welcome FIDE arbiters courses and would attend but would not attend ECF arbiters courses.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Paul Bielby

Post by Paul Bielby » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:44 pm

Some 30 or so years ago I had run (and arbited) several congresses and thought it would be a good idea to try to become an official arbiter. I approached a number of friends here in the North-East and assembled a group of a dozen of us who wanted to take the course. We invited Stewrt Reuben to come up North to run it for us over a weekend. This he did and after a day of talking about the rules we all sat the exam. Fortunately about 7 of us passed. The top mark was scored by a schoolboy, Paul Dargan, now a regular contributor to this forum! (I don't know if he ever got round actually arbiting at a tournament - I think he just did it for fun!). Anyway, if you want to become an arbiter, the important point seems to be to get a group of people together to make it worth the while of somebody to run the course. Nowadays it would be from the Chess Arbiters Association. (See their website). Whilst the course and the exam are valuable, far more important is having the experience of doing the job practically at a number of tournaments.

As i understand it, at present, it is much easier to become a FIDE arbiter - you simply need to pay FIDE a fee to become a 'National Arbiter'. Harder, of course, to become an International Arbiter, something I have never attempted (Knowledge of languages other than english would be my stumbling block)

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:24 pm

Paul Bielby wrote:
As i understand it, at present, it is much easier to become a FIDE arbiter - you simply need to pay FIDE a fee to become a 'National Arbiter'. Harder, of course, to become an International Arbiter, something I have never attempted (Knowledge of languages other than english would be my stumbling block)
FA (FIDE Arbiter) and IA (International Arbiter) still require norms and sitting an exam. National Arbiter is a money making initiative of FIDE where every arbiter in a FIDE rated event (blitz, rapid or standard) has to have paid €20+ to be called a "National Arbiter" without demonstrating any level of competence. For norm events you need an FA or IA for other events a National Arbiter will suffice.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:30 pm

I understand Geoff Jones ran a course in Yorkshire last year that was very well attended; it is apparently quite an intensive course and takes place over a whole weekend. From the last YCA Committee meeting I think we're looking to organise another that Alex McFarlane will run.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:50 pm

David Welch was going to do one for the MCCU
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:49 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Are any taking place in the south east of England in the next few months? Is there a published timetable somewhere?
I'm in the process of reviewing arbiter training, with a view to publishing the new regulations fairly soon. They'll be going to the CAA AGM at the Hinckley 4NCL, then the Board soon thereafter, and should come into force to co-incide with the new Laws of Chess on 1st July, 2013. (Assuming FIDE get around to actually publishing them, but that's a separate issue.)

Arbiters courses have been traditionally arranged on an ad hoc basis, sometimes without the ECF even knowing. I've taken steps to ensure that such courses are communicated with me in future already, so that I can publish a list of them on the ECF website.

None are planned at the moment for several reasons, a few of which are above.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:10 pm

Paul Bielby wrote:As i understand it, at present, it is much easier to become a FIDE arbiter - you simply need to pay FIDE a fee to become a 'National Arbiter'.
As Lawrence has pointed out, that statement is completely wrong.

Paying the fee to which you refer doesn't make you a FIDE Arbiter. It makes you a FIDE licensed arbiter, which is not the same thing at all.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:20 pm

David Sedgwick wrote: It makes you a FIDE licensed arbiter, which is not the same thing at all.
Agreed, but you can see the problem.

To most people just seeing the titles FIDE National Arbiter sounds like a more impressive title than ECF Arbiter.
Scotland and Wales seem to have insisted that only qualified arbiters could be put forward for the FIDE NA title, in England that was not the case.

It is no secret that some CAA senior officials are not happy with the situation. It is hoped that new regulations (as indicated by David) will rectify the situation.

David Sedgwick

Re: Arbiter Courses

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:36 pm

In order to clarify Alex McF's comment above, I'm taking the liberty of repeating my post in another thread.
David Sedgwick wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote: Any FIDE rated event in England or elsewhere has to have an arbiter with a FIDE Arbiter's licence
Does the ECF impose any standards or is it just a matter of paying FIDE the appropriate fee or bribe?
All applications have to go through me as ECF Manager of Arbiters (International). Whether there should be more specific requirements is similarly under review.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:43 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:I'm in the process of reviewing arbiter training, with a view to publishing the new regulations fairly soon.
Have you, or will you be, consulting players to see if any common themes appear for where players think arbiters need to improve?