Do members on here have chess coaching

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Peter D Williams

Do members on here have chess coaching

Post by Peter D Williams » Wed May 08, 2013 3:16 pm

Afternoon All :D

Do members on here have regular chess coaching and if so how often do you see the chess coach? also is the chess coach an IM or GM? Has it improved your play?
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Dan O'Dowd

Re: Do members on here have chess coaching

Post by Dan O'Dowd » Wed May 08, 2013 4:07 pm

Hehe, I considered taking up endgame coaching but I'm poor :P I can't do that yet. I'm mainly coaching myself, as in, I have an ability to objectively analyse my weak spots, and suspend emotion about them. I'm not the best at knowing where to apply my study time, but for what I do, I learn well. I intend to get coaching if I can ever change jobs, and not worry about whether he has this or that title: it's far better that your coach can think the same way you do (or rather; to be more precise, can understand the wrong way you think, and help explain the right way in a way you understand). Perhaps if I can get to 170 in the next 3 seasons I'll know whether I can then get GM level coaching as opposed to from a 210 or such, though I doubt the difference would be that high since in any case a lot of the work would be technical in nature.

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Wed May 08, 2013 5:59 pm

I don't have the money. I can't analyse my weak spots -- I don't think anyone can. It needs someone from the outside to point them out and that someone has to be a considerably stronger player. Other than pointing out weaknesses, a strong player can quickly point out key ideas -- ideas that one would only find after much groping in the dark, after learning a lot of useless things.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu May 09, 2013 9:43 am

There's also a rather major issue that for many ameteurs the state in which you turn up for games is often much the most important factor in how well you play. Its rather hard to seriously analyse for, and work on, minor improvements when there's so much basically random variability involved from other sources.

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Thu May 09, 2013 10:08 am

I am thinking of taking the advice of one of my 4NCL team-mates and stopping playing in evening, after-work leagues. I'm about 20 (ECF) points weaker I reckon after a day in the office, and I struggle to focus on the game without thoughts of actions to close down and things to have ready for the next moning.

I do worry that not playing regularly will impact weekend and 4NCL results - but the attraction of playing G/90 when not really focussed isnt that great anymore.

Do others find a significant difference in playing strength in evening leagues v's weekend congresses, 4NCL?

Paul

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Thu May 09, 2013 10:22 am

Paul Dargan wrote:I am thinking of taking the advice of one of my 4NCL team-mates and stopping playing in evening, after-work leagues. I'm about 20 (ECF) points weaker I reckon after a day in the office, and I struggle to focus on the game without thoughts of actions to close down and things to have ready for the next moning.

I do worry that not playing regularly will impact weekend and 4NCL results - but the attraction of playing G/90 when not really focussed isnt that great anymore.

Do others find a significant difference in playing strength in evening leagues v's weekend congresses, 4NCL?

Paul
I've noticed that towards the end of the season my league chess ability tends to nose-dive. Being a captain of two teams probably doesn't aid my 'on-the-night' skill either. My 4NCL chess seems to be ok though, so the logic is that the end of season is more stressful and congested than other times. In future I will endeavour to be a non-playing captain from March onwards I think.
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Paul Bielby

Post by Paul Bielby » Thu May 09, 2013 11:05 am

You are absolutely right, Paul. It all depends what you want to get out of your chess. If you are keen to play at your very best (and keep what you feel your best grading should be) then quit evening league chess. If you enjoy the friendships and cameraderie you get from playing in an evening league team then you must accept that your standard of play may suffer.

You are also dead right, Greg. You cannot do your own chess full justice when captaining a team, let alone two. But where would we be without those selfless people who do run teams and undertake the very real hard work involved in that task.

To get back to the question asked at the start of this thread. I, personally, was incredibly lucky in being at Cambridge at the time the late Bob Wade, recently returned from an extensive stay in Moscow studying the Russian methods. This must have been about 1956. For the best part of a year, Bob, at that time a committed communist, came up weekly to that bastion of privelege, to coach a group of us using what he had learnt from the Russians. Some of his material was way over my head, but what he did convey so well was his own enthusiasm for the game. My grading shot up from 5a to 3b (Those were the days!) If my own coaching has been 'inspirational' (quote from one of the youngsters currently playing in the World Schools), it owes a lot to Bob from 55 years ago! There were about 20 of us in that group - is anybody else who was there still active in the game?

Daniel Young

Post by Daniel Young » Thu May 09, 2013 11:09 am

Paul Dargan wrote:Do others find a significant difference in playing strength in evening leagues v's weekend congresses, 4NCL?
Strangely, I've always found that I perform about 20 points worse in weekend congresses than in evening leagues! :? I'm not sure if it's because I need the additional motivation of responsibility to a team, or just that I struggle with the demands of multiple games in a day. Probably a bit of both, since my best performances tend to be in county matches.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu May 09, 2013 11:32 am

Paul Dargan wrote:I am thinking of taking the advice of one of my 4NCL team-mates and stopping playing in evening, after-work leagues. I'm about 20 (ECF) points weaker I reckon after a day in the office, and I struggle to focus on the game without thoughts of actions to close down and things to have ready for the next moning.

Paul
Paul

I gave up evening chess for personal reasons a couple of years ago (maybe more now)

My life has improved tremendously as a result, so be warned, if you give up you may never go back :wink:

There are lots of opportunities to play weekend chess - congresses, 1 day rapidplays, county, 4NCL

I struggle for time, so play infrequently, get rusty and play rubbish - the contrast this weekend betwen Saturday and Sunday was about 100%, but I ran out of steam on Monday (as did my car, which had a flat battery :roll: )
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Thu May 09, 2013 11:44 am

I've also given up evening chess. It's all too much of a rush after getting home from work (the nearest club to me is 8 miles away which doesn't help) and I was finding it difficult to sleep after an evening game. I don't miss it at all. I can't say my results have improved though!

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Thu May 09, 2013 1:00 pm

I have toyed with the idea of at least reducing my evening league play, because I know the quality of my game suffers after a long day’s work, particularly on a hot day (I work in an office that doubles as a blast furnace in summer). Also as my office is right next to the pub where we play Chess, there is always the dilemma, should I go home for tea first… can I be bothered? What about just getting a sandwich then going straight there and chilling for an hour with my book and a pint? Of course one pint always becomes 2 or 3!

I definitely play better in weekend congresses, in the sections I play in I’m usually a contender for prize money and take it seriously - which involves no visits to the bar until after the games. 2 games a day never bother me, I have played a couple of congresses this year where it’s been 3 on the Saturday, instead of a Friday night game, I do find that a bit gruelling.

I do captain a team for Leeds CC and am also the club secretary, but I don’t find these duties hinder my chess in all honesty - sometimes setting up all the boards can be a bit of a nuisance, but I usually wait until some help has arrived.

I think I’m going to stick with week night league Chess, particularly in Bradford where the games only affect YCA grading, which I don’t really care about. But be stricter and force myself to go home for my tea and arrive back at the club on the dot of game time.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Thu May 09, 2013 2:58 pm

Paul Dargan wrote:
My evening results have improved this season, due mainly I think to having a nap in the afternoon when I have a match in the evening. Not a luxury you can afford if you're at work though, I suspect!

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Thu May 09, 2013 3:28 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:
Paul Dargan wrote:
My evening results have improved this season, due mainly I think to having a nap in the afternoon when I have a match in the evening. Not a luxury you can afford if you're at work though, I suspect!
Not without a written warning from the boss :lol:

I think for retired people etc the issue of playing better in the evening leagues isn’t as relevant - spend the day relaxing, do a bit of Chess study, maybe have a walk, then a nap and top it all off with a nice meal about an hour before game time, for maximum energy release - my idea of heaven and I suspect I wouldn’t let many games slip in the Leeds league :)
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Thu May 09, 2013 3:41 pm

Paul Bielby wrote: I, personally, was incredibly lucky in being at Cambridge at the time the late Bob Wade, recently returned from an extensive stay in Moscow studying the Russian methods. This must have been about 1956. For the best part of a year, Bob, at that time a committed communist,

I knew Bob in the 1950s, and I question that. What says Bob's biographer?

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu May 09, 2013 4:25 pm

Arshad Ali wrote:I don't have the money. I can't analyse my weak spots -- I don't think anyone can. It needs someone from the outside to point them out and that someone has to be a considerably stronger player. Other than pointing out weaknesses, a strong player can quickly point out key ideas -- ideas that one would only find after much groping in the dark, after learning a lot of useless things.

Yes chess coaching is rather expensive.

Not many on here so far have admitted to having regular chess coaching i wonder why? is it like the chess books few will admit to buying them yet the London chess center still keeps going :wink:

Its rather windy today wrap up warm.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.