County Chess

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
Kevin Williamson

Re: County Chess

Post by Kevin Williamson » Tue May 21, 2013 8:18 am

It sounds as though Essex were well enough organised to deal with the problem in hand – a travelling reserve and a non-playing driver who, presumably, would also have stepped in if necessary. Luxury!

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Tue May 21, 2013 7:10 pm

Kevin Williamson wrote
It sounds as though Essex were well enough organised to deal with the problem in hand – a travelling reserve and a non-playing driver who, presumably, would also have stepped in if necessary. Luxury!
Not to mention a non-playing captain! We also had an unused travelling reserve for the U160 match near Leicester the previous day.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:35 pm

Bit difficult to know what to make of this thread in the light of the discovery that the result of Jonathan Rogers' game has been reversed due to not being a member... :shock:

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:52 pm

Richard Bates wrote:Bit difficult to know what to make of this thread in the light of the discovery that the result of Jonathan Rogers' game has been reversed due to not being a member... :shock:
How far back is this 'adjusting' of results going to go? At some point, the results will have to be final, won't they?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:59 pm

Richard Bates wrote:Bit difficult to know what to make of this thread in the light of the discovery that the result of Jonathan Rogers' game has been reversed due to not being a member...
If you check older membership lists, you note that his membership expired according to the ECF on 2nd May 2013. So if the 4NCL applied the same standards to late renewals as the ECF, he wouldn't have been eligible to play in the final 4NCL weekend either.

He's not on the latest membership list either, so do we think the ECF will remove his rating from the FIDE site?

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:20 pm

Richard Bates wrote:Bit difficult to know what to make of this thread in the light of the discovery that the result of Jonathan Rogers' game has been reversed due to not being a member... :shock:
Well yes :oops:

Basically I took my eye of the ball and did not double check exactly when I was supposed to renew. Neville directed a query at me before the 4NCL weekend, but that was all, while he told me that another player in my team had to rejoin; and so I continued to take my eye off the ball. I trust that my bona fides here at least are not in doubt - surely everyone realises that I would never have knowingly endangered my own 4NCL team! (Of course the fault is still mine, and not at all Neville's).

I double checked the situation after the Essex match and saw that I was still maintained on the membership list, notwithstanding that I was due to renew. What did that mean? By comparison, the player who stood down for Essex that day (see first page of this thread) was no longer on the list at all. I think this is why Neville and my county captain thought that I might still be eligible. It was only now that I realised exactly when my membership had been due but I still wondered, like many other sensible people on this forum, whether this was a non-issue, since I was a transitional member from the previous regime and seasonal membership would soon come into force.

Anyway, my own silliness changes nothing on this thread. I did not criticise my Essex colleague for his carelessness (!), and I raised his case to show what a shambles it all was, and to ask why counties could not simply pay the cost themselves one way or another - points which have all been vindicated since.

Incidentally, I applaud Richard for arguing in the same vein on the other thread, since in his case he is arguing against the interests of his own team. And Roger - I will renew very soon!

Kevin Williamson

Post by Kevin Williamson » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:42 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote: Incidentally, I applaud Richard for arguing in the same vein on the other thread, since in his case he is arguing against the interests of his own team.
Absolutely.

And Jonathan, there’s no rush for your renewal. Any time after the final will be fine :)