Child Genius - the representation of chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Andrew Martin

Child Genius - the representation of chess

Post by Andrew Martin » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:41 pm

http://www.itv.com/lorraine/hottopics/child-genius/

Is this type of coverage good for chess and for children in general?

Ray Sayers

Re: Child Genius - the representation of chess

Post by Ray Sayers » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:48 pm

My daughter's reaction was:

'That makes me want to give up chess'.

Is what she said to my wife, who was also pretty shocked. I didn't see it.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:03 pm

http://chessimprover.com/child-genius/

warning, clicking on the link in Nigel's article will take you to the Daily Mail website
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:27 pm

Mick Norris wrote:http://chessimprover.com/child-genius/

warning, clicking on the link in Nigel's article will take you to the Daily Mail website
There's a claim about world ranking in both the Daily Mail article and the programme that is no longer correct.

Here's the ranking list using International ratings for year of birth 2004, the top player already has a rating of 1935 and an FM title from winning the World Youth in his age group in 2012.

http://ratings.fide.com/advaction.phtml ... &line=desc

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:46 pm

http://www.oscarselby.co.uk/index.php another competitor on the show - looks like the big penguin is done for. The charity link on the links page highlights very positive ways in which the chess community can act.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:05 pm

way
Andrew Martin wrote:http://www.itv.com/lorraine/hottopics/child-genius/

Is this type of coverage good for chess and for children in general?

I remember you where more than willing to be filmed in a previous series of child genius. and appeared very happy to talk about Peter with out consulting us or him to check if what you where saying was correct. That is one of the reasons we do not play at Sandhurst any more.

As for the new TV series it is often a cut and paste job where the film director editors it in a certain way to give the view he/she been told to give by the TV company who are paying for the film.With a film like this filmed over a number of months the film director would have a lot of meeting with the TV company to make sure he was following the brief he/she been given.

I remember when we took part a lot of film was filmed of Peter with his mates which was never shown because this would have mucked up the view channel 4 wanted to give which was that Peter had no friends.I also remember the film director coming down and being very disappointed we where not playing chess!

On the plus side one gets to meet a lot of interesting people in the TV world and gets to go to channel 4 headquarters.Peter enjoyed all of that side of it and how a film director films various shots he after.

A guy in TV series play some one in a wheelchair who could not walk any way one day in real life he was out walking and was attacked by 2 people who where angry that he was walking.I never realized myself how serious people look at films until we took part and had to answer some very daft questions about Peter such as do you go out do you go away on holiday does he have mates.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:16 pm

David Shepherd wrote: looks like the big penguin is done for
Should have been done for years ago
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:42 pm

David Shepherd wrote:looks like the big penguin is done for

There's a thought :lol: although to be fair the little penguin doesn't look happy

Our penguins don't play chess, they prefer dancing
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:25 pm

Has anyone ever played Josh? I just had a look at a few of his games, seems to be an ok player for his age but I think more improvement is needed to become a grand master - why do these people set their sights so high I never know, I would be happy enough just to be a fide master.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:40 am

My review on the ECF website deliberately did not give Josh's name.
He played a number of offhand games at the opening of the Grand Prix. One great advantage of chess is that this doesn't look ridiculous. Imagine playing Nadal! He beat Luke McShane in one of those offhand game. On the programme you see him playing Lorin d'Costa who is also his coach.

Oscar Selby is the son of Natasha Regan, who made one comment on the show. Oscar wasn't feaured in this one. But chess is not, as far as I know, his major mindsport. When I played him bridge when he was 8, I think he had a better understanding of the Acol bidding system than me.

All 8 year old chessplayers should have the ambition to be a GM.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:51 am

"http://www.itv.com/lorraine/hottopics/child-genius/

Is this type of coverage good for chess and for children in general?"

I am amazed he plays "200 tournaments a year".

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:29 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote: I am amazed he plays "200 tournaments a year".
200 tournament games presumably. Including rapidplay, there are several players who run up that level of game count.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:15 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:My review on the ECF website deliberately did not give Josh's name.
He played a number of offhand games at the opening of the Grand Prix. One great advantage of chess is that this doesn't look ridiculous. Imagine playing Nadal! He beat Luke McShane in one of those offhand game. On the programme you see him playing Lorin d'Costa who is also his coach.

Oscar Selby is the son of Natasha Regan, who made one comment on the show. Oscar wasn't feaured in this one. But chess is not, as far as I know, his major mindsport. When I played him bridge when he was 8, I think he had a better understanding of the Acol bidding system than me.

All 8 year old chessplayers should have the ambition to be a GM.
Yes; and older? When I was eleven, I was reading Korchnoi, and all the world championship books, and was wondering whom I would meet in future candidates' matches. I wanted to avoid Adams (the same age), since he had the tendency to take all my pieces.

Natasha and Oscar both feature more in the second episode.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:17 am

Joey Stewart wrote: ... I would be happy enough just to be a fide master.
The joy wears off quite quickly :|

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:18 am

Stewart Reuben wrote: All 8 year old chessplayers should have the ambition to be a GM.
Most parents in Richmond tell me they want their children to play chess but don't want their children to be good, either because it would take up too much time and interfere with their academic studies, or because it would involve hard work so wouldn't be 'fun'.

This wasn't true 20 years ago.