Energy drinks during a game

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
stevencarr

Energy drinks during a game

Post by stevencarr » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:23 am

One problem for the less young player such as myself is tiredness during a game.

So I had a Red Bull during the game.

This seemed to make my play very twitchy, and didn't seem to help my concentration much. I had more energy, but wasn't as focused or clear.

Any other suggestions? The good old fashioned banana?

Joey Stewart

Re: Energy drinks during a game

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:50 am

I like to take paracetamol plus pills - they have caffine in and also are a pre emptive strike against any headaches that might creep in later on in the session of play.

They work pretty well for me, I don't know why more people don't take painkillers.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:32 pm

For evening games, I find an afternoon nap is quite useful.

Other than that, the old favourite caffeine is probably best. Energy drinks are more suited to physical rather than mental effort.

Mike W. Richardt

Post by Mike W. Richardt » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:36 pm

I usually have a chocolate bar during the game plus coffee and/or some water
Joey Stewart wrote:I like to take paracetamol plus pills
What kind of pills apart from Paracetamol are we talking here? As a Staff Nurse I am now quite concerned about your health!!! :shock: :o
Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri - I am not bound to believe in the word of any master
http://www.mikerichardt.co.uk

John Curtis

Post by John Curtis » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:35 pm

Beer

Dan O'Dowd

Post by Dan O'Dowd » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:41 pm

Mike, Paracetamol Plus basically is the normal job plus about 8mg of caffeine and a few vitamin bits chucked on. I've never taken anything like that personally but then I get migraines so I have to be extremely judicious with my use of co-codamol, because I take beta-blockers daily to prevent things in the first place.

I think its a case of know your body. Reg for example seems to get more benefit physically out of energy drinks than mental, though this is curious since he also swears by caffeine - perhaps it's simply a case that he knows his ideal dose. I had a very tense game in the final round of a league up here in April, and I'd had some lucozade beforehand, but also bought a Red Bull partway through. My concentration was absolute in that game - I was playing very patchily, missing some basics in tactics but thinking plenty, and it helped a lot, though I'll also tell you that about an hour after the red bull, I had a pint as well, and was in full flow by then so it only amplified my confidence after the crisis.

In the past I'd often get up an hour before a match, and eat some junk food and have a load of energy drink. This was all well and good but I found I was actually playing stronger after the game which was quite disturbing though on occasion gave me some really great annotation time. I prefer not to eat too much beforehand, but it varies too - sometimes I can eat a very carb heavy meal and suddenly be calculating through time and space, other times I eat not very much and feel mentally blocked. At the British you'll see me with energy drinks at the board in every game though. I was having about 3-4 daily last year and it worked a treat along with plenty of water and a good lunch. Somehow when I've had lots of sugar and caffeine although it doesn't always work, on some occasions that just seems to unleash me into a 110% calculator.

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:08 pm

"I usually have a chocolate bar during the game plus coffee and/or some water."
" ... you'll see me with energy drinks at the board in every game ..."

Only of course if bought at the venue !!!

Dan O'Dowd

Post by Dan O'Dowd » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:22 pm

Oh yes, vending machines are my friend don't worry about that. Last year I found a lovely corner shop that was selling cans of Rockstar (which has blueberry, and mango/passionfruit flavours) for 99p a tin, so that helped as well since it was about 5-10 minutes from the venue.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:31 pm

THINK DRINK was launched this month and has been designed for this very purpose.
The company is sponsoring the Bullet Chess Challenge and the Champion of Champions at the 100th British Chess Championships.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:26 pm

Dan O'Dowd wrote: Reg for example seems to get more benefit physically out of energy drinks than mental, though this is curious since he also swears by caffeine
I didn't say that! I don't use energy drinks at all, despite the fact that I take part in some fairly strenuous sports. There's no substitute for eating properly. As for caffeine, its 'keep awake' properties are well known.

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:21 pm

If you are tired energy drinks only will mask it and give a temporary kick. Sleep and fluids. The first is generally impossible to do if you are zooming around after work to get to a match!

Nevil Chan

Post by Nevil Chan » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:15 pm

John Curtis wrote:Beer
...followed by more beer. :mrgreen:
"Some people are good enough at chess to take it seriously; you are not one of them."

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:51 pm

Nevil Chan wrote:
John Curtis wrote:Beer
...followed by more beer. :mrgreen:
...and preferably washed down with another ;)
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:26 pm

Proplus tablets have helped me in the past when my illness has caused me to have sleepless nights during a chess torny
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:28 am

Personally I hit on some smack. It just about gets me through the game. Afterwards I celebrate with a decent bottle of Chablis