Buying things second hand

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Nick Burrows

CT-Art 4.0

Post by Nick Burrows » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:33 am

Hello,

I wondered if anyone can offer me a serial number for this program?

Annoyingly I just purchased it off Ebay, only for it to come without the manual or Serial number which makes it completely useless :evil: .

Many thanks in advance, Nick.

Geoff Chandler

Re: CT-Art 4.0

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:26 am

Hi Nick.

if you enter 'ct-art 4.0 + serial number' into google you get a load of sites
that claim to have it.

Some of them look dodgy and most likely are.

So amble along to your local internet cafe with a pen and paper and look at them from there.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:54 am

Not sure we can condone any of this nonsense :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:27 am

Buy a bonafide copy with a bonafide serial number from a respected retailer and everything will be OK.

Anything else is basically swindling the creators out of royalty payments.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:49 pm

I agree, topic closed and moved to not chess.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Nick Burrows

Buying things second hand

Post by Nick Burrows » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:50 pm

It was just suggested to me by both Carl Hibbard and Andrew Martin that buying things second hand is improper, and not even worthy of having a thread.

This concept is literally new to me. I have NEVER heard it suggested that buying something second hand is wrong. Am I missing something or is this just me??

I guess everyone who ever bought a second hand chess book should hang their heads in shame!

Now I see what some of the censor complaints are about - Ridiculous.

Ps Thankyou Geoff for being your usual friendly and helpful self.

Roger de Coverly

Re: Buying things second hand

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:57 pm

Nick Burrows wrote: This concept is literally new to me. I have NEVER heard it suggested that buying something second hand is wrong. Am I missing something or is this just me??
It's usually legal to buy second hand software, but it's usually against the restrictions placed on it by the original vendors if a copy remains with the seller. So in the case of your E-Bay seller, he or she should have supplied you with the manual, the activation code as well as the original disk and should have purged the copy on their computer.

The analogy with buying a second hand book is that you don't expect the vendor to have retained a photocopy of the entire contents.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:10 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Nick Burrows wrote: This concept is literally new to me. I have NEVER heard it suggested that buying something second hand is wrong. Am I missing something or is this just me??
It's usually legal to buy second hand software, but it's usually against the restrictions placed on it by the original vendors if a copy remains with the seller. So in the case of your E-Bay seller, he or she should have supplied you with the manual, the activation code as well as the original disk and should have purged the copy on their computer.

The analogy with buying a second hand book is that you don't expect the vendor to have retained a photocopy of the entire contents.
Yes so hence my post, as I made a valid purchase and was short changed. Someone could photocopy a book, or burn a copy of some software but that is the sellers concern. Yet I have been shut down like some lowlife charlatan rather than the usual helpful poster that I am.

And yes I had a bad day at work!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:21 pm

Nick Burrows wrote: Yes so hence my post, as I made a valid purchase and was short changed.
Can you not do negative feedback unless the vendor coughs up with the original manual and activation code? If he or she cannot supply, it's not really a valid sale, so you could ask for your money back.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:24 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Nick Burrows wrote: Yes so hence my post, as I made a valid purchase and was short changed.
Can you not do negative feedback unless the vendor coughs up with the original manual and activation code? If he or she cannot supply, it's not really a valid sale, so you could ask for your money back.
Unfortunately I left it too long between buying and using the product. Annoying.

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:28 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:It was just suggested to me by both Carl Hibbard and Andrew Martin that buying things second hand is improper, and not even worthy of having a thread.
I don't think they said that in your original thread.
As I understand it, you were after a key for software, which is effectively piracy. I don't see anywhere where they said that buying second hand items was a bad thing.
Unless you had some other conversation not covered on the boards.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:34 pm

They suggested that I was swindling the creators out of royalty payments. I was not. I made an honest purchase and was swindled myself - so i checked to see if anyone could help me out in good faith.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Yes so hence my post, as I made a valid purchase and was short changed. Someone could photocopy a book, or burn a copy of some software but that is the sellers concern. Yet I have been shut down like some lowlife charlatan rather than the usual helpful poster that I am.

And yes I had a bad day at work!
You would be shut down if your going against what A Martin said something i have never understood my self as his view is no more important than any one else on here but he has a few loyal supporters who post on here :wink: Take no notice your legal entitled to buy second or new chess items on E bay and have dome nothing wrong. You can leave feed back on E bay about this person.Next time before buying on E bay send the seller a message checking the item does have serial number manual before buying it.E bay allow this on the site for you to ask questions before buying.I have done this many times over items i want and have always had a reply from the seller
The seller of the item may not have know you need serial number as some sellers buy lots of stuff and would not be an expert on chess items,You can contact the seller to and explain to him/her as often sellers on E bay want good feed back.

Looks like weather going to break over night.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:41 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:They suggested that I was swindling the creators out of royalty payments. I was not. I made an honest purchase and was swindled myself - so i checked to see if anyone could help me out in good faith.
I apologise if this was the case and will merge threads when I get home.

Buying second hand software on eBay is always going to be classed as dodgy.

The reference to a google of a serial number caught my eye rather than your original post.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:45 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Buying second hand software on eBay is always going to be classed as dodgy.

Not if you check with the ebay seller first about the chess item coming with serial number manual before buying it.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.