Master Game on YouTube.

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joey Stewart

Re: Master Game on YouTube.

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:40 pm

16 cakes and then a cake board? That is alot of cake to be eating - it is almost like man vs food vs chess
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

jonathanberger

Re: The Master Game

Post by jonathanberger » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:29 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:If you are sure the BBC is no longer interested I'll try again and
contact a friend whose wife worked in the BBC archive and says she saw them
but was not allowed to copy them.
I found The Master Game series really entertaining and originally discovered the episodes uploaded by Sirb0b1 on YouTube. These files have now been removed due to copyright issues.

I'm trying to start an effort to revive the old episodes in a more permanent manner, working with the BBC. I'd hope they'd either relinquish the copyright or publish the episodes online in a format that is easy to purchase. I've setup a page to coordinate this effort along with my contact information if others are interested.
http://www.baligu.com/the-master-game.html

Stewart has mentioned to me that someone is working with the BBC on making a DVD of the show, but the "who" and "when" seem unclear.

Geoff, do you still have a contact with the organization that might be fruitful?

jonathanberger

Post by jonathanberger » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:45 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:I estimate if 1000+ people wrote in independently asking for a series, it might happen.
Stewart Reuben wrote:I am told that there has been an agreement to release the Mastergame material that is available.
I'm happy to start an online petition or letter-writing campaign. I do hope the release of the episodes on DVD (or even better yet some online-equivalent like the iTunes Store where episodes could be purchased individually) is forthcoming. Thanks for your help Stewart. It's amazing you were a part of making these shows (the arbiter, I think).

I'm from California, but if I happen to go by Seattle I could try knocking on John Henderson's door!

Dave Ewart

Post by Dave Ewart » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:01 pm

I see that Series 6 and Series 7 are now on sale! http://chess.co.uk/ - either both series (£23 per series - two DVDs) separately, or combined (£45 - four DVDs). Seems a little steep price-wise, but I guess they won't be selling a huge volume here. I'll be ordering mine soon :-)

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:40 pm

Dave Ewart wrote:I see that Series 6 and Series 7 are now on sale! http://chess.co.uk/ - either both series (£23 per series - two DVDs) separately, or combined (£45 - four DVDs). Seems a little steep price-wise, but I guess they won't be selling a huge volume here. I'll be ordering mine soon :-)
Yes Dave, the saddest thing about human culture is, the people who run our affairs promote the idea, that things cost money.

No things don't cost money, they cost work, but the problem is no one wants the work and everybody want the money, so our economy runs on the principal, of getting as few people as possible to do as much work as possible, for as little money as possible.

My idea is that economics should be about resource management, if this were so with the technology that we have, there would be no unemployment and all able bodied people would work for not much more than a day a week, and the 'rush hour' would become a distant horrible memory.

And yes I know I'm barmy, but aren't all chess players so?

One of our greatest Fischer, was considered insane, personally I disagree with this, but the reason for this disagreement is not discussed in polite society.
Last edited by PeterTurland on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:43 pm

Have you been drinking today?
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Dave Ewart

Post by Dave Ewart » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:47 pm

Can't work out whether Peter thinks that (a) £45 is too high, (b) £45 is too low, (c) I'm wrong for thinking £45 is too high, (d) things shouldn't cost anything at all, (e) things shouldn't cost anything IN MONEY at all, (f) that he should be Emperor of the World or (g) something else entirely.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it, though :-D

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:02 pm

Now we know why Sirb0b1 was forced to remove the content - pretty much every game on these DVD’s were on his channel.

£44.00 for both DVD’s is a little steep yes - but that’s Chess DVD’s in general I’m afraid - at least we know there’s some decent content on there, not like the cash-in stuff RDK was peddling a few years ago via Impala for £30.00+

I’m a little bit skint at the moment and so I think I’ll have to wait until next pay-day to put my hand in my pocket for these, but I will, but for no other reason, in the hope that it will encourage a release of some of the earlier episodes which I haven’t seen.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:37 am

The Impala one where Ray published 2 rapidplay wins by Short over Kasparov; one rapidplay win by Speelman over Kasparov; and one win by Miles over Karpov in the 1983 Master Game which was never broadcast, was well-worthwhile. At my suggestion Ray did the voice over translation of the German into English. Also Keene had to get hold of the original from Germany. And I can be seen as the arbiter!
That was a great deal of work. £30 for that. Why not?

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:35 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:The Impala one where Ray published 2 rapidplay wins by Short over Kasparov; one rapidplay win by Speelman over Kasparov; and one win by Miles over Karpov in the 1983 Master Game which was never broadcast, was well-worthwhile. At my suggestion Ray did the voice over translation of the German into English. Also Keene had to get hold of the original from Germany. And I can be seen as the arbiter!
That was a great deal of work. £30 for that. Why not?
Of the great British chess triumphs DVD, the unseen Master game footage and commentary (say what you like about RDK, he is good at explaining chess analysis) was certainly the highlight. However I did think the rest of the content was very filler - the analysis session between Speelman and Kasparov was a bit so-so - although look out for one great shot where Ray nearly looses an arm, for attempting to re-set the board when Kasparov is in the middle of pointing something out

The rapid play match between Short and Kasparov was interesting, though the games are well publicised - I would have thought for the money episodes of the whole match could have been included on the DVD - although then you would have to remove the “Triumphs” part from the title as poor Nigel got wiped out in the rest of the games.

In my opinion I just think a £30.00 price tag is a bit steep for what it largely archive footage from the telly, bundled onto a DVD.

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:02 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:In my opinion I just think a £30.00 price tag is a bit steep for what it largely archive footage from the telly, bundled onto a DVD.
And paid for by our license fee, what our country badly needs is, to be able to vote for who run's the BBC.

Not being allowed to watch Hamilton win the Hungarian Grand Prix live, whilst it can pay Jeremy Clarkson £14 million to trash stuff with our money, admitted it is funny now and again, but not being able to watch the Grand Prix live is a joke.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:10 pm

Looks like £17 on Amazon with free delivery on Prime, not sure why the difference but there you go :?:
Last edited by Carl Hibbard on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: 17.34 and 17.35 to be precise.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:16 pm

PeterTurland wrote:
Jon Mahony wrote:In my opinion I just think a £30.00 price tag is a bit steep for what it largely archive footage from the telly, bundled onto a DVD.
And paid for by our license fee, what our country badly needs is, to be able to vote for who run's the BBC.

Not being allowed to watch Hamilton win the Hungarian Grand Prix live, whilst it can pay Jeremy Clarkson £14 million to trash stuff with our money, admitted it is funny now and again, but not being able to watch the Grand Prix live is a joke.
Clarkson makes an awful lot of money for the BBC in foreign sales etc., so the £14m might have been worth it financially, if not culturally or morally.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:00 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:Looks like £17 on Amazon with free delivery on Prime, not sure why the difference but there you go :?:
Prices seem to have gone down to the £18-19 mark now, but the DVD is quite a couple of years old - the “bargain bin” of Chess suppliers, still quite a few pounds over the odds of what you’d expect a new release film to cost on DVD.

Just having a look on London CC - you can actually get some of the older Foxy DVD’s for under £20.00, an all time first :o

Dave Ewart

Post by Dave Ewart » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:51 pm

My four DVDs for Series 6 and Series 7 were delivered today :-)

Picture and sound quality seems excellent given the age of the recording: to my eye/ear better than those uploaded to (and now removed from) Youtube. Looking forward to indulging in these again, even though I almost know the games and the commentary by heart...