Yorkshire Chess - British Championships Competition!

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Andrew Bak

Re: Yorkshire Chess - British Championships Competition!

Post by Andrew Bak » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:48 pm

Apologies for the slight delay in publishing the Round 9 Results, the late publication of the draw (and results from Round 8) didn't help us too much. Anyway, here are the results!

Round 9 Results

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:20 pm

Thanks Andrew. I've been on tender hooks all day!

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:22 pm

Final roll-call for our Competition - you've got until 3pm on Friday to get your submissions in!

If you haven't tried it yet, give it a go! It's free to enter and you could still win a free entry to an e2e4 weekend event if you can get the best individual round score!

Submit your Predictions

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:08 pm

What percentage of entrants have been submitting their entry between 2-3pm?

I've had to do mine the night before, but a computer evaluation of the games would give you a significant edge!

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:18 pm

Please teach me how to yawn.

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:04 am

Nick Burrows wrote:What percentage of entrants have been submitting their entry between 2-3pm?

I've had to do mine the night before, but a computer evaluation of the games would give you a significant edge!
Howell v Jones and Lalic v Arkell seem good candidates to not last for even half an hour, unless one of them happens to be feeling particularly feisty.

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:16 am

Nick Burrows wrote:What percentage of entrants have been submitting their entry between 2-3pm?

Typically about 80% come before 2pm, there are always a few that leave it to between 2.55 and 3.00pm!

However late submissions don't seem to correlate too well with overall performance...
PeterFarr wrote:

Howell v Jones and Lalic v Arkell seem good candidates to not last for even half an hour, unless one of them happens to be feeling particularly feisty.
I agree with that, I'm sure Jones is more concentrated on the World Cup now than the British Championships.

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:36 am

sorry double post.
Last edited by PeterFarr on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:39 am

Andrew Bak wrote:I agree with that, I'm sure Jones is more concentrated on the World Cup now than the British Championships.
Yup - certainly not about to blame them if that's what happens. Not sure where any last round fireworks might come from; Zhou-Gormally perhaps.

Actually, I've just remembered that in the Tour de France, there is a prize for the most aggressive rider each day - that might be a good chess innovation.

Really like your instant daily round reports btw, great effort.

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:45 am

PeterFarr wrote:
Andrew Bak wrote:I agree with that, I'm sure Jones is more concentrated on the World Cup now than the British Championships.
Yup - certainly not about to blame them if that's what happens. Not sure where any last round fireworks might come from; Zhou-Gormally perhaps.

Actually, I've just remembered that in the Tour de France, there is a prize for the most aggressive rider each day - that might be a good chess innovation.

Really like your instant daily round reports btw, great effort.
There is a best game prize on offer for each round - a shame this isn't publicised more on the official website :(

I'm glad you enjoy the reports!

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:45 am

Round 10 Results

Remember you have until 3pm to get your final round entries in!

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:07 pm

You've now got less than an hour to get your final round predictions in - new entrants could still win free entry to an e2e4 event!

3pm is the deadline!

Submit your predictions

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:55 pm

The Prediction Competition is now complete and the Prize Winners can be revealed:

Round 11 Results

Thanks to everyone that participated and thanks to Chess & Bridge and e2e4 Chess for kindly supplying the prizes – we hope you enjoyed the Competition!

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:40 pm

Thanks to Andrew and Yorkshirechess.org for running the competition - it was fun and added to the enjoyment of following the championship. Thanks, also, in this respect, to Carl, Dave Clayton and Matthew Carr for broadcasting the games.

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:49 pm

Some very good results for chess parents in that - Andrew Adair winning week 2 and my mother coming 2nd overall.
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.