The Ashes 2013

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
David Robertson

Re: The Ashes 2013

Post by David Robertson » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:07 pm

I read (Cricinfo, I think) that Lehmann has conceded 4-0. And Clarke last night (BBC) conceded that Australia have few batting options just now. Hence 4-0 it will likely be. So what players available to them, with an eye on the next Ashes series, should they run with?

Openers: Rogers and Warner. Can't see any alternative. Apparently, Warner & Watson can't bat together without coming to blows. And Watson isn't an opener anyway. So that rules out pushing Rogers in at 3

No. 3: They'll almost certainly stick with Khawaja. But they need to apply a bit of creativity to the problem. An improvement on Khawaja at No. 3 must surely be a waxwork model of Don Bradman

No. 4: Clarke Here, not at 5. Better still, here and at 5

No. 5: They need someone who'll really get stuck in; someone with plenty of baggage. That rules out Smith. Rules out Hughes too. In fact, rules out pretty much all the batters. My thinking? Call up Gough Whitlam, former Labour PM who was turfed out of office for no good reason by the Queen's plate-polisher, the Oz Governor-General. Gough's been grinding his axe since 1974. Time to let him use it.

No. 6: They tend to go for feeble-minded blondes here - Watson, Smith, Steve Waugh (what???). But my pick, thinking laterally and staying with tradition, is to go with Jason Donovan. And he can turn it both ways!

Stumper: Haddin's had it. Wade is nearly as good, and ten years younger. But neither can do the anti-Pom chirp as well as Sir Les Patterson. Cometh the hour, Sir Les cometh!

Spinner: Australia only has one spinner worth considering. Yes, I know: you're thinking Shane Warne. But you're not thinking creatively. The only bloke who fits the bill, who is sufficiently loathsome, cynical and ruthless, and who can spin it sideways - step forward Lynton Crosby

No. 9: Harris/Siddle/Starc/Bird/Faulkner Any one of these. It doesn't really matter

No. 10: Obvious! Dennis Lillee Yes, I know. But never mind that. Still Dennis Lillee!

No. 11: Skippy the Bush Kangaroo - anything to get a bit of bounce from the Oval these days!

Could make it closer anyway :)

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:31 pm

:lol: Certainly couldn't be worse!

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:37 pm

Lehmann has "conceded" the last test?? Fairly obvious mind games there, I would have thought......
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:42 pm

Paul Robson wrote:A bit like Death Race 2000 driving past the ground yesterday but the Aussies in Durham city make a pleasant change from students .

It was my first live Ashes test since 1989. A good day to go back (tickets booked by my dad over a year ago). Truly a 'if you don't get this you'll never get test cricket experience'.

We spent a few days in Durham too towards the end of last week. Not many students about.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:08 am

England have picked Kerrigan :D , Woakes, Tremlett and Finn in a 14 man squad for The Oval

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/23745001
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:51 am

Mick Norris wrote:England have picked Kerrigan :D , Woakes, Tremlett and Finn in a 14 man squad for The Oval

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/23745001
Saving their bowlers for the one day stuff, then?

Maybe they're even going for a five-man bowling attack. Anderson could do with a rest, so a five-man attack with Broad and the four you name might be the order of the day. Then swap Bairstow, push Prior up to 6, and bat Woakes at 7 ahead of Broad.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:01 pm

I'm a little surprised they didn't call up Ballance (in preference to, say, Taylor). That of course would have strongly implied that Bairstow was for the boot. But presumably Bairstow will play since I doubt they believe Prior can bat at 6 just now.

I'd guess they see Woakes as something of a like-for-like with Bresnan; something of a risk, if so. But probably not a bigger risk than Finn or Tremlett. I bet they go with Tremlett on his home turf although the last time I skimmed Tremlett's numbers in all formats this season, I felt any club trundler could do a better job. Very unimpressed! (Alex to confirm or otherwise)

I'd like to see Kerrigan play, even resting Swann. But a line-up of Broad, Tremlett, Finn/Woakes & Kerrigan would be a gamble too far.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:19 pm

David Robertson wrote:I bet they go with Tremlett on his home turf although the last time I skimmed Tremlett's numbers in all formats this season, I felt any club trundler could do a better job. Very unimpressed! (Alex to confirm or otherwise)
Tremlett has played 7 matches, and has taken 19 wickets at an average of 39. He's behind others in the averages; Dernbach has 25 wickets at 29, and Meaker has 20 wickets at 33. In fact, in terms of bowling average, Tremlett is currently ranked 4th at Surrey both in number of wickets taken and in bowling average. I won't quote his number sin other forms of the game, but his statistics there are no better.

I'm reminded of the days when England picked Ian Salisbury, who wasn't even the best spinner Surrey had. OK, Saqlain Mushtaq couldn't play for England. However, there are many bowlers ahead of Tremlett who could play for England.

Regarding Ballance, I think either he or James Taylor would be good selections.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:32 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Regarding Ballance, I think either he or James Taylor would be good selections.
The former would bring Ballance to the side :lol:

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:02 pm

"The former would bring Ballance to the side "

and I am pleased to report that one of his Yorkshire team-mates is Leaning

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:21 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:Maybe they're even going for a five-man bowling attack. [...] Then swap Bairstow, push Prior up to 6, and bat Woakes at 7 ahead of Broad.
Ian Botham has presented caps to Kerrigan and Woakes, so they're going to be given debuts. Aggers on Twitter says that Finn, Tremlett and Bairstow are out.

Which leaves the England team as: Cook, Root, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Prior, Woakes, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Kerrigan.

If England were going to pick two spinners, then a five-man bowling attack was always on the cards given England like to have three seamers. Woakes is the perfect man for the job of third seamer in a five-man two-spinner attack, particularly given he will make a useful contribution with the bat.

"Mark Kidger: "Bairstow dropped for Woakes? That is a turnup." -- Cricinfo. Well, I picked it! :D

Michael Yeo

Post by Michael Yeo » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:40 am

https://twitter.com/MarstonPedigree/sta ... 52/photo/1

Alex H would appear to have got his name on the leader board early.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:42 am

Michael Yeo wrote:https://twitter.com/MarstonPedigree/sta ... 52/photo/1

Alex H would appear to have got his name on the leader board early.
:lol:

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:44 am

cricinfo says Woakes will bat at No 6.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:04 am

Very plausible - Woakes does have utterly amazing career figures at county level (38 batting, 25 bowling). Since they've not been getting huge runs from any of the specalists they've tried at 6 for a bit now it can't be at all impossible that they'll see how he'll go there long term.

Probably just for the experience/to get two spinners in the team though :) Must be feeling radical with the 3-0 lead.