Picture of John Kerry with Bashar al-Assad.

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Peter D Williams

Picture of John Kerry with Bashar al-Assad.

Post by Peter D Williams » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:38 pm

Evening all this caught my attention today.

This astonishing photograph shows U.S Secretary of State John Kerry having a cosy and intimate dinner with Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad.

Kerry - who compared Assad to Adolf Hitler and Saddam Hussein yesterday - is pictured around a small table with his wife and the Assads in 2009.

Assad and Kerry - who was then a senator for Massachusetts - lean in towards each other and appear deep in conversation as their wives look on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Rob Thompson

Re: Picture of John Kerry with Bashar al-Assad.

Post by Rob Thompson » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:59 pm

Did this really need a new topic?
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:14 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:Did this really need a new topic?
Yes - you are obviously interested or you would not have viewed and replied - what is your opinion of this meeting?
I did consider putting it into International News or For Sale Index but didn't feel either quite appropriate. :wink:

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:40 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:
Yes - you are obviously interested or you would not have viewed and replied - what is your opinion of this meeting?
I did consider putting it into International News or For Sale Index but didn't feel either quite appropriate. :wink:
I guess Rob was referring to the "moronic bull" thread, which already discusses Syria. It's certainly an arresting image isn't it? Speaks for itself really.

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:53 pm

That was the thread I was referring to.

I could reply on topic, but since you decided to start another thread about something that's already being discussed I will give you a response that's about as sensible as this thread deserves:

llama llama llama llama llama.
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:52 pm

PeterFarr wrote:
Peter D Williams wrote:
I guess Rob was referring to the "moronic bull" thread, which already discusses Syria. It's certainly an arresting image isn't it? Speaks for itself really.

Thank you for the clarification Peter although it shouldn't be down to guesswork - perhaps Rob could have adopted a more mature approach about such a serious subject or if he was unable to do so asked Carl to merge the 2 threads. I am always open to discussion but taking the p**s quite frankly isn't on. I feel that this picture like many others speaks a thousand words and for other forum members to try to distract from this in an infantile manner quite frankly isn't on.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:10 pm

Nothing new, as anybody who has seen the 1980s pic of Donald Rumsfeld shaking hands with a certain S Hussein will know :wink:

Also one might recall our then PM back in about 2001 praising Bashar al-Assad as a "true reformer" with "great personal charm". Do I mean the same Mr Tony who was last week urging the West to rain cruise missiles down on Syria?? Strangely enough, yes :roll:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)