Sunny Beach

Information regarding live broadcasts using the ECF sensory boards.
LawrenceCooper

Sunny Beach

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:07 pm

http://live.sunnybeach-chess.com/

Yang-Fan and James Adair both playing live.

LawrenceCooper

Re: Sunny Beach

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:26 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:http://live.sunnybeach-chess.com/

Wins for both players to move onto 3.5/4 into the joint lead with IM Axel Rombaldoni, James has already faced 2 GMs & 2 IMs :)

http://www.sunnybeach-chess.com/results_2013.html

David Grobler

Post by David Grobler » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:16 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:

Wins for both players to move onto 3.5/4 into the joint lead with IM Axel Rombaldoni, James has already faced 2 GMs & 2 IMs :)

http://www.sunnybeach-chess.com/results_2013.html
early days....but James has a MASSIVE chance of a Norm yes ?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:08 am

David Grobler wrote:early days....but James has a MASSIVE chance of a Norm yes ?
The Open A has a minimum rating of around 2350. There's something of a squad of younger British players participating. Round 5 pairings

1 IM Zhou Yang-Fan 3½ 3½ IM Rombaldoni Axel
2 GM Petkov Vladimir 3 3½ FM Adair James R

7 GM Popchev Milko 2½ 2½ IM Trent Lawrence

12 FM Kilpatrick Callum 2 1½ IM Nikolov Sasho

17 FM Griffiths Ryan Rhys 1 1 IM Collas Didier

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Thanks for posting the link to the live games on here.We have enjoyed watching them.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Good results and (I think, just as importantly) good games from all the English players today. James Adair is presumably back in contention for a GM norm - a "mere" IM norm must almost be in the bag, I should think.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:05 pm

From Facebook:

Ryan Griffiths:

I feel very ashamed to withdraw from a tournament for the first time in my life. Great tournament, great people and great playing conditions but unfortunately Sunny Beach is a hellhole. We were conned out of money at every opportunity, Yang-Fan and Jonathan were punched in the face on the first night, and today when I woke up this morning I found that someone had gotten into our room during the night and had taken 1 laptop, 2 wallets and 2 phones and even the key to our apartment... I'm not going to keep bleeding my possessions to the "people" here.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:12 pm

So I gather. (The "Jonathan" is Jonathan Edwards in case anyone is wondering). Sounds as though we should be wishing the best on all fronts to the Engish players for the rest of the event ...

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:33 pm

benedgell wrote:From Facebook:

Ryan Griffiths:

I feel very ashamed to withdraw from a tournament for the first time in my life. Great tournament, great people and great playing conditions but unfortunately Sunny Beach is a hellhole. We were conned out of money at every opportunity, Yang-Fan and Jonathan were punched in the face on the first night, and today when I woke up this morning I found that someone had gotten into our room during the night and had taken 1 laptop, 2 wallets and 2 phones and even the key to our apartment... I'm not going to keep bleeding my possessions to the "people" here.
If this is true then the ECF and any other Chess Federation of those players who have been punched or robbed should make some sort of contact with the organizers of this event to ask what is going on and what help is being given to these young players.I do hope that Ryan has made a complaint to the local police over his room being broken into and various items being stolen.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:12 pm

He will need to report it to the police and get a reference otherwise it won't be covered by travel insurance or even home insurance, as these days many policies will cover such things.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:09 pm

An amusing draw by Lawrence Trent v Yang-Fan Zhou just now.

Presumably they would both have known it was a draw by move 66 so not really sure why they bothered to carry on?!
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:04 pm

agreed but the last 30 moves were played very quickly. Lawrence probably felt annoyed with himself for not having made more of his position and was not in the mood to agree a draw at once.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:48 pm

IM norm for James Adair today. He needs a draw tomorrow for a GM norm.

EDIT: Callum Kilpatrick also has an IM norm. Despite playing 8 Bulgarians he's okay because of the number of foreign player & GMs/IMs in the event. Thanks to Sean Hewitt for reminding me of the relevant rule:

* The regulations regarding mix of federations as in the boxes marked * are waived if the event is a Swiss System tournament in which the competitors include at least 20 FIDE Rated players, not from the host federation, from at least 3 federations, at least 10 of whom hold GM, IM, WGM or WIM titles.See 1.46c concerning the rating floor of the lowest rated opponent.
Last edited by LawrenceCooper on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Jamieson

Post by Ian Jamieson » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:59 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:IM norm for James Adair today. He needs a draw tomorrow for a GM norm.
A draw tomorrow also takes his rating over 2400?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:05 pm

Ian Jamieson wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:IM norm for James Adair today. He needs a draw tomorrow for a GM norm.
A draw tomorrow also takes his rating over 2400?
It would keep him over but he's already gone over in rounds 6 and 8 which will suffice. A result tomorrow would obviously be the ideal though to get the GM norm and to be published over 2400.