NFL Fantasy Football

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Matthew Turner

Re: NFL Fantasy Football

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:46 pm

Matt Ryan might be a very good quarterback, indeed I don't think it is impossible that he is the best in the NFL. However, he is just not a big name, because playing in Atlanta you don't get the coverage. If I go into school tomorrow and ask pupils or staff to name an NFL quarterback how many will name Ryan? I suspect the answer is one.
That is the appeal of Houston and Atlanta, they go about their business in a very professional and understated way. They don't have the temperamental eccentrics that other teams collect.

Steven Gardner

Post by Steven Gardner » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:58 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
benedgell wrote:Am I doing well? Hadn't realised the season had started.
:lol:

Denver Broncos beat Baltimore Ravens 49-27 last night, and your QB, Peyton Manning, threw 7 TD passes, tying an NFL record. More importantly, he also threw for 462.8 yards, earning you 46.28 points.

It would appear that the Ravens are missing Ray Lewis...
He also had two of their receivers and is kicking my behind. This will have to be the greatest comeback of all time today, and I'm not exactly hopeful!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:24 pm

Steven Gardner wrote:He also had two of their receivers and is kicking my behind. This will have to be the greatest comeback of all time today, and I'm not exactly hopeful!
On the bright side, Ben has Chris Gronkowski starting at RB, who was waived soon after the draft due to injury.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:41 pm

D'oh. Just did a bit of research, and found out there are 2 Gronkowskis as well as the Mannings. Would serve me right if I picked the wrong Gronkowski to go with the wrong Manning.

Steven Gardner

Post by Steven Gardner » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:42 pm

benedgell wrote:D'oh. Just did a bit of research, and found out there are 2 Gronkowskis as well as the Mannings. Would serve me right if I picked the wrong Gronkowski to go with the wrong Manning.
You may have got the wrong Gronkowski, but you definitely got the right Manning.

Sporting of you to play a man down but I don't think it's going to make a difference :(

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:51 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:Matt Ryan might be a very good quarterback, indeed I don't think it is impossible that he is the best in the NFL. However, he is just not a big name, because playing in Atlanta you don't get the coverage. If I go into school tomorrow and ask pupils or staff to name an NFL quarterback how many will name Ryan? I suspect the answer is one.
That is the appeal of Houston and Atlanta, they go about their business in a very professional and understated way. They don't have the temperamental eccentrics that other teams collect.
Just read through this. WHAT?!?

OK he has a good case for scraping in to the bottom part of a top 5 and is a top 10 lock. I love Matt Ryan, he was a tank at the Eagles and if it was post Brady I'd have prayed NE picked him up.

Top 5 QB's in terms of ability are:

1) Manning
2) Brady
3) A-Rodge
4) Brees
5) Stafford
6) Ryan

Top 5 for Fantasy are probs:

1) Brees
2) Manning
3) Stafford
4) A-Rodge
5) Ryan/Cam Newton(for Running reasons)

Brady does not make a top 5 in Fantasy due to having no WR's or TE for part of the season.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:53 pm

benedgell wrote:D'oh. Just did a bit of research, and found out there are 2 Gronkowskis as well as the Mannings. Would serve me right if I picked the wrong Gronkowski to go with the wrong Manning.

If you had picked the other one, for the first few weeks youd score as many points.
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:32 am

Ben Purton wrote: Brady does not make a top 5 in Fantasy due to having no WR's or TE for part of the season.
No wonder. For tonight Brady loses his running back Shane Vereen, and his deputy Brandon Bolden, Danny Amendola and Rob Gronkowski are both injured and now the rookie Tight End Zach Sudfeld is also out. Love this quote from NFL.com's Ian Rapport earlier this evening that "The Patriots' medical staff is still trying to figure out what is going on with Amendola's groin." Brady will be throwing to a couple of rookie wide receivers and Bill Belichick's pet Jack Russell, against a good Jets defence, yet the Patriots are still 11 point favourites coming into the game. What does that say about the Jets? Come on Geno!

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:08 am

You do not need any O against the Jets. You can just let them beat themselves.

Brady has literally nothing, none of his guys can catch.

Yet still far superior to the Jets.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:01 am

Ben Purton wrote:Yet still far superior to the Jets.
I have the Patriots DEF in my starting nine, so I am very grateful to the Jets for their 4 Sacks, 3 Interceptions and 1 Fumble.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:00 am

It seems that after two weeks we will only have one team on a perfect record. Well done to Ben Purton and the Sambuca Sharks. The aptly named Go Browns are yet to make their mark.

Steven Gardner

Post by Steven Gardner » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:51 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:It seems that after two weeks we will only have one team on a perfect record. Well done to Ben Purton and the Sambuca Sharks. The aptly named Go Browns are yet to make their mark.
The Browns might be awful, but I'd make them 7 point favourites over the Jaguars right now. 11 points scored in two games against teams that combined for 6 wins last year?! Some drastic changes are needed there!

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:54 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Matthew Turner wrote:It all seemed to work very well for me and I am pretty happy with my team.
You've got a few interesting picks. Why did you pick McFadden as early as you did?
Not a bad week for McFadden last week, but he has had to make way for the indisputable brilliance that is Chris Ivory in week 3 :roll:

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:37 am

I have had to trade lots and lots. From my draft considering i was out the night it was scheduled. In some respects I was lucky because I made my depth chart beforehand and I got 3 of my top 8 targets. Unfortunately QB wise I was massive on getting Rodgers and Stafford and these were both taken very quickly.

I got left with Newton as a Franchised player.

Personally I cannot beat Alex's team this week. Im around an 8/1 shot.

Hes got me beaten on all bar one player.

So I will go 2-1

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:56 am

It's not necessarily as clear cut as you think!