Chess-boxing on the BBC

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Robertson

Chess-boxing on the BBC

Post by David Robertson » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:32 pm

John Upham

Re: Chess-boxing on the BBC

Post by John Upham » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:38 pm

If only the ECF had an active press and media officer (or officers) that could get positive chess items into the media.

Hopefully Andrew Paulson (at least) would recognise the value of this even if nobody else does.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:45 pm

Am I to understand that the reporter wants chess players to punch him in the face?

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:53 pm

I think the value of good publicity is already well recognised....
One problem is the media itself, and its reluctance to publish chess news and information.

But, yes, throughout the chess heirarchy, there is no doubt that more positive publicity could help.
Maybe you couild stand as the ECF publicity man John....?
Too many spectators and armchair critics shouting nonsense from the touch lines also doesnt help.
BRING BACK THE BCF

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:07 pm

John Upham wrote:If only the ECF had an active press and media officer (or officers) that could get positive chess items into the media.

Hopefully Andrew Paulson (at least) would recognise the value of this even if nobody else does.
The Publicity Officer role has been vacant for about a year now. I don't believe its as much a case that the ECF doesn't value this, as no-one is interested in taking on the role. I believe Dave Thomas knows this is an area of concern and is trying to encourage people to volunteer, but its a very tough sell. Andrew Paulson may well know people who would be suitable to this type of role, but I'd be impressed if he could convince them to take it on on a volunteer- basis.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:12 pm

David Pardoe wrote: Maybe you couild stand as the ECF publicity man John....?
I could but...

The ETTA have a full-time multi person team in their Hastings office (http://ettapressoffice.com/media-enquiries)

I am part of three person team that supports the prestigious British League on event.

This is the closest thing to professional table tennis in England.

This is not a part-time, when time is available type post.

stevencarr

Post by stevencarr » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:17 pm

I nominate Gormally-Aronian as the leading proponents of chess-boxing.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:30 pm

John Upham wrote:
David Pardoe wrote: Maybe you couild stand as the ECF publicity man John....?
I could but...

The ETTA have a full-time multi person team in their Hastings office (http://ettapressoffice.com/media-enquiries)

I am part of three person team that supports the prestigious British League on event.

This is the closest thing to professional table tennis in England.

This is not a part-time, when time is available type post.
I've no idea how much full- time Publicity Officers get paid, but even if the money were available, would a full- time PO be the best use for it?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:43 pm

benedgell wrote: I've no idea how much full- time Publicity Officers get paid, but even if the money were available, would a full- time PO be the best use for it?
And if investing in this role demonstrated that the organisation was fit for purpose and landed sponsorship and media rights to its assets what would you say?

Let us say that the ECF was able to market itself and chess to the extent that funds become available...?

Say for example that investors concluded that they wanted their brand / company to be associated with the values of chess?

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:46 pm

Sorry to pin point you here Ben but just out of curiousity mate.

Talk me through some of the stuff you tried to do as Press Officer.

I am actually asking as Im just curious what previous people in role have tried.

Feel free to answer me in Direct messages instead of public
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:39 pm

I've been thinking...in the light of developments elsewhere...

This need for good PR, getting on telly and so forth. I reckon I've come up with an idea that ticks all the boxes. The PR people will love it!

Never mind Chess-boxing. What about Chess-spanking? Three minutes of boxing, then three minutes of...well, you get the drift. I wonder what Andrew Paulson thinks? Or David Pardoe?

[I'd better (tm) this before Tim Woolgar nicks it]

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:08 pm

Ben Purton wrote:Sorry to pin point you here Ben but just out of curiousity mate.

Talk me through some of the stuff you tried to do as Press Officer.

I am actually asking as Im just curious what previous people in role have tried.

Feel free to answer me in Direct messages instead of public
Hey Ben. Happy to discuss it openly.

I attempted to encourage congresses to send in reports and results to put up on the ECF website and to forward to local press, sent out (with parents permission) reports to the local press relevant to the juniors who were going to international competitions, and helped out wherever possible when I got asked for help with publicity by anyone in the chess community.

Admittedly probably the thing I'll be remembered for whilst in the role was being unable to help publicise the British the summer before last, and being open with my reasons for it, but I got a reasonable number of stories featured in local press and the no. of congress organisers who sent in reports definitely increased over the duration of my role.