Andrew Paulson -- Candidacy for ECF President

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Michele Clack

Re: Andrew Paulson -- Candidacy for ECF President

Post by Michele Clack » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:52 pm

Some interesting candidates in this election. Why don't we just give Mr Paulson a chance to see what contribution he could make? It seems to me chess goes in cycles. Certain openings are fashionable and much effort is expended in improving them. Then every now and then there is a seismic shift and someone has huge success with something new and that opening system has it's day.

Why can't we accept a seismic shift when it's offered in chess administration and see where it leads us? Do we really want to sift over the bones of one system forever? Andrew Farthing set the ball rolling why not run with it and give Mr Paulson a chance to build on that legacy?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:11 pm

Michele Clack wrote: Why don't we just give Mr Paulson a chance to see what contribution he could make? It seems to me chess goes in cycles.
If he were running this time last year, I might have agreed. But there was a lot of noise in the press about how chess at the top level was going to be revolutionised as a spectator sport. A year later, whilst credit can be taken that events actually happened and even took place on the original dates scheduled, very little has changed in terms of presentation and audience. So when similar extravagant promises are made to the ECF, there is considerable scepticism that they can be delivered. There are at least three examples in recent years of unfulfilled ambitions. I'm referring to the Chess Sets for Schools affair, the chess-boxing guy and the latter part of the CJ presidency.

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:24 pm

Michele Clack wrote:Andrew Farthing set the ball rolling why not run with it and give Mr Paulson a chance to build on that legacy?
Because it is better to opt for steady progress than a complete leap in the dark. By the way, comparing Andrew Farthing's solid record of achievement with Mr Paulson's rhetoric and promises does a distinct disservice to the former.

There are many reasons why Roger Edwards is a much safer bet:
Contrary to much of the verbiage on the forum, Andrew Paulson has not yet established a record of achievement in the chess world. There are a lot of promises but how much has actually been delivered to date?

(Malcolm Pein, on the other hand, has a clear record of matching commercial acumen with an innate understanding of the world from a chess player's perspective. He's not a candidate of course, and he is not always right either - I believe his backing of Paulson in this contest is an error.)

Andrew Paulson's approach to the candidature has been unremittingly arrogant. He posted on the forum that he expected his opponent to simply throw in the towel when he appeared (messiah-like?) on the scene. It is difficult to avoid thinking that his desire for the presidency is concerned more with FIDE than with the needs of English chess. Indeed I am surprised that he wishes to expose himself to potential serious challenges about conflicts of interests as president of a constituent body given his company AGON's relationship with FIDE. Suggesting he could avoid any involvement in discussions that could be deemed to be touch on conflicts of interest is simply not tenable as the senior elected official and figurehead of an organisation.

He has clearly not taken enough time to understand the organisation, its members or the role he is applying for, appearing to want to take on a mixture of the role of the president and chief executive. Indeed Phil Ehr needs to make it clear that he has an independent vision for the role of the CEO as he has spent more time focusing on his potential partnership in Team Paulson.

Roger Edwards is a chess player, organiser and well known in English chess. His presidency got off to a difficult start in the aftermath of the membership debate last year but he has nonetheless worked hard to make it a success and I hope that he will continue in his role.

I sincerely hope that the electors at the AGM are not hoodwinked by promises. Now is not the time to gamble with ECF's future.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:31 pm

Steve Rooney wrote:Now is not the time to gamble with ECF's future.
Roger may just sneak it but I expect the vote is going to be very close.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:39 pm

Steve Rooney wrote:
Michele Clack wrote:Andrew Farthing set the ball rolling why not run with it and give Mr Paulson a chance to build on that legacy?
Because it is better to opt for steady progress than a complete leap in the dark. By the way, comparing Andrew Farthing's solid record of achievement with Mr Paulson's rhetoric and promises does a distinct disservice to the former.

Contrary to much of the verbiage on the forum, Andrew Paulson has not yet established a record of achievement in the chess world. There are a lot of promises but how much has actually been delivered to date?

(Malcolm Pein, on the other hand, has a clear record of matching commercial acumen with an innate understanding of the world from a chess player's perspective. He's not a candidate of course, and he is not always right either - I believe his backing of Paulson in this contest is an error.)

Andrew Paulson's approach to the candidature has been unremittingly arrogant. He posted on the forum that he expected his opponent to simply throw in the towel when he appeared (messiah-like?) on the scene. It is difficult to avoid thinking that his desire for the presidency is concerned more with FIDE than with the needs of English chess. Indeed I am surprised that he wishes to expose himself to potential serious challenges about conflicts of interests as president of a constituent body given his company AGON's relationship with FIDE. Suggesting he could avoid any involvement in discussions that could be deemed to be touch on conflicts of interest is simply not tenable as the senior elected official and figurehead of an organisation.

He has clearly not taken enough time to understand the organisation, its members or the role he is applying for, appearing to want to take on a mixture of the role of the president and chief executive. Indeed Phil Ehr needs to make it clear that he has an independent vision for the role of the CEO as he has spent more time focusing on his potential partnership in Team Paulson.

Roger Edwards is a chess player, organiser and well known in English chess. His presidency got off to a difficult start in the aftermath of the membership debate last year but he has nonetheless worked hard to make it a success and I hope that he will continue in his role.

I sincerely hope that the electors at the AGM are not hoodwinked by promises. Now is not the time to gamble with ECF's future.
Having disagreed with Mr Rooney on many points in the past, I thought I'd make a point of strongly agreeing with him on this.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:42 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Steve Rooney wrote:Now is not the time to gamble with ECF's future.
Roger may just sneak it but I expect the vote is going to be very close.
Certainly it is quite possible, likely even, that it will be so close that the small number of "None of the above" could have swung the result the other way.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:12 pm

Yes...
I asked some questions (made comments), about the voting process on another thread yesterday...
I quote..
My comments above (see P4), were aimed specifically at those with significant perceived vested or commercial interests, who, in my view should be kept at arms length from the main board, because of the ever present dangers that the ECF and its officers could be adversely influenced, and the integrity and independance of the ECF might seriously risk being called into question.
I hope those voting in the ECF elections will consider these and other concerns raised very carefully, before casting those votes, particularly those who have multiple delegate & proxy votes.
Faced with a difficult choice, due in part to a lack of clear information, many delegates dont show up at these meetings, and are accused of apathy, when what many probably suffer from is `bewilderment` and confusion.

Many have expressed concerns about the voting system, its lack of transparancy and being wide open to abuses
BRING BACK THE BCF

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:29 pm

David Pardoe wrote: due in part to a lack of clear information
Please specify what you like more clarity about.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Andrew Paulson

Post by Andrew Paulson » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:22 pm

To all Council Members: I'm planning to get to the Euston Square Hotel at 10:30 tomorrow morning. Let me invite for coffee anyone coming to the AGM who can turn up early (AGM starting time 12:30). Please stop by the coffee shop off the lobby so we can get to know each other (or so that you can interrogate me!). Andrew

Neville Belinfante

Post by Neville Belinfante » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:08 pm

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the personal invite to your coffee morning. Are you aware that if you were standing for election at a local or general election, it would be deemed illegal because offering food or drink is bribing the electorate?

Two questions, one normal and one curveball (I am good at the latter :-) ).

Normal question - Part of the job description of ECF president is travelling the country, presenting prizes at either national or local chess tournaments. CJ was very good in this role before TShirtGate happened. Do you see yourself in this role. I am concerned that all your publicity so far and offers to meet people have been either others visit London, or use Skype.

Curveball question - Your personal CV is very impressive and says about 10 years ago you were a publisher of independent newspapers or magazines in St Petersburg. In January and February 2002 I was in St Petersburg on business as my company at the time - Auditel Ltd - was upgrading the microphone systems at the St Petersburg Legislative Assembly which was based in the Blue Palace (previously home of Catherine the Great). Is it possible that your papers or magazines covered the Local Politics at the Assembly, and if so,is it possible our paths crossed then.

Looking forward to the discussions. I am still undecided between yourself and Roger.

Regards

Neville Belinfante

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:38 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Steve Rooney wrote:

Having disagreed with Mr Rooney on many points in the past, I thought I'd make a point of strongly agreeing with him on this.
Ditto.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Andrew Paulson

Post by Andrew Paulson » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:39 pm

Neville Belinfante wrote:Hi Andrew

Thanks for the personal invite to your coffee morning. Are you aware that if you were standing for election at a local or general election, it would be deemed illegal because offering food or drink is bribing the electorate?

Two questions, one normal and one curveball (I am good at the latter :-) ).

Normal question - Part of the job description of ECF president is travelling the country, presenting prizes at either national or local chess tournaments. CJ was very good in this role before TShirtGate happened. Do you see yourself in this role. I am concerned that all your publicity so far and offers to meet people have been either others visit London, or use Skype.

Curveball question - Your personal CV is very impressive and says about 10 years ago you were a publisher of independent newspapers or magazines in St Petersburg. In January and February 2002 I was in St Petersburg on business as my company at the time - Auditel Ltd - was upgrading the microphone systems at the St Petersburg Legislative Assembly which was based in the Blue Palace (previously home of Catherine the Great). Is it possible that your papers or magazines covered the Local Politics at the Assembly, and if so,is it possible our paths crossed then.

Looking forward to the discussions. I am still undecided between yourself and Roger.

Regards

Neville Belinfante
Neville.

Thanks for saving me from the embarrassment of inadvertently bribing people. It would have been particularly mortifying (and perhaps cost a couple of votes) if I'd been carried off in handcuffs before the vote. I'll make voting members pay for their coffee.

Last year I traveled up to Leicester to meet the Board. In August, I traveled up to Birmingham to meet Dave and Alex. Also in August, I offered to meet David Welch in Liverpool, but our signals crossed. I offered to travel to Leeds for a meeting but the appetite was not there. I'm happy to travel and hand out prizes. I don't wear t-shirts.

The magazine I published in St. Petersburg from about 2000 until 2005 was called Афиша -- Все развлечения Петербурга and it was a cultural magazine. So, we might have crossed paths, but in a restaurant or bar!

If you go back and look at this thread, you'll see that I've answered lots and lots of questions. But, feel free to ask more!

Best,
Andrew

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:44 pm

Andrew Paulson wrote:If you go back and look at this thread, you'll see that I've answered lots and lots of questions. But, feel free to ask more!
You seem to have missed this one (as well as the previous one to which it refers). Fancy having a pop now?
JustinHorton wrote: Assuming that I'm not going to get an answer as to how much research went into the all-English-chess-that-is-not-all-English-chess plan, let's try something else.
a commercial director will be appointed or elected and paid to find the revenue and manage the sponsoring partners.
How much will this commercial director be paid? Will they be full-time? How do you propose this is accommodated within the present ECF budget - or do you envisage some alternative source of funding?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Andrew Paulson

Post by Andrew Paulson » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:54 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Andrew Paulson wrote:If you go back and look at this thread, you'll see that I've answered lots and lots of questions. But, feel free to ask more!
You seem to have missed this one (as well as the previous one to which it refers). Fancy having a pop now?
JustinHorton wrote: Assuming that I'm not going to get an answer as to how much research went into the all-English-chess-that-is-not-all-English-chess plan, let's try something else.
a commercial director will be appointed or elected and paid to find the revenue and manage the sponsoring partners.
How much will this commercial director be paid? Will they be full-time? How do you propose this is accommodated within the present ECF budget - or do you envisage some alternative source of funding?
Justin,

Before you get too huffy about my not answering your questions, do not how many of your questions I DID answer!

What was the question about research? I refer you to the Economist of this past week, which presents some of the research we have commissioned:
http://www.economist.com/news/internati ... ing-chance

As to the Commercial Director question: this is a position envisaged by the Board to be approved by the Council and I have no idea what their plans were/are. I have several ideas as to who could fill this position and I believe that it should be a commission-based compensation with only a token salary. I don't think that it would have to be full-time to begin with.

Andrew

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:11 pm

Andrew Paulson wrote: I refer you to the Economist of this past week, which presents some of the research we have commissioned:
http://www.economist.com/news/internati ... ing-chance
What precisely are you thinking of in the piece?
Andrew Paulson wrote:As to the Commercial Director question: this is a position envisaged by the Board to be approved by the Council and I have no idea what their plans were/are.
Your candidate statement, expressing your proposals, stated:

"a commercial director will be appointed or elected and paid to find the revenue and manage the sponsoring partners".

So what did you have in mind and how much did you envisage their being paid?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com