What should we do next..?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Sean Hewitt

Re: What should we do next..?

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:05 pm

Matthew Turner wrote: 2. Sean Hewitt should recognise that his policy of enforcing membership on the National Schools' Championships has been soundly defeated and should step down as a non-executive director.
Only problem with this suggestion it's that it wasn't my policy. :oops:

It's a bit of a non issue now anyway, given that the event has been properly organised into graded and non graded portions.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:26 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote: It's a bit of a non issue now anyway, given that the event has been properly organised into graded and non graded portions.
Presumably those running teams know whether there's a threat of default if they field a pupil who isn't an ECF member. The effect of the SCCU motion was presumably to remove this threat from the graded portion as well as the non-graded portion.

John Cox

Post by John Cox » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:36 pm

>To be fair, Sean wasn't acting as a non-Exec when as acting DoMM

Exactly. Or, in other words, "my entire post is bo**ocks because it's based on a false premise".

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:42 pm

John Cox wrote: Exactly. Or, in other words, "my entire post is bo**ocks because it's based on a false premise".
Had there been a functioning non-Exec in place, the policy would have been challenged without having to take the long route through the SCCU and back again. You don't deny that Sean is as partial in favour of compulsory membership as I am opposed to it.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:53 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
John Cox wrote: Exactly. Or, in other words, "my entire post is bo**ocks because it's based on a false premise".
Had there been a functioning non-Exec in place, the policy would have been challenged without having to take the long route through the SCCU and back again. You don't deny that Sean is as partial in favour of compulsory membership as I am opposed to it.
If a NED takes on executive responsibilities - as Sean did with the DoMM role and then later with his involvement with the selection of the venue for the 2014 British Championships - what does he or she do in Board Meeting decisions: behave and vote as an executive or as a Non-executive? Should a Non-executive have been appointed to cover for Sean while he was doing other work?

John Cox

Post by John Cox » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:54 pm

I dare say. My point was a short one; as NED he shouldn't have a policy and so it's absurd to speak of him being expected to resign three days after being elected on the grounds Council has rejected a policy of his.

As you rightly say, he was previously acting DoMM and in that role might well have had a policy. I'll leave others to argue whether he did and if so what it was.

>Should a Non-executive have been appointed to cover for Sean while he was doing other work?

Ideally yes.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:29 pm

We have a board which is more than can be said this time last year with three Directorships vacant. It isn't the board I would have selected myself from the candidates; however the constant quibbling over who should and should not be on the board is starting to annoy me. Nothing is going to change now.

So what should happen next? To start with we have a mandate to look into the possibility of OMOV, or at the very least more direct member say in matters of substance. You'd think those people decrying the current system would have started a thread to discuss ideas as to the best way of going about this. And yet they haven't. Dare I suggest that the reason is that if there was a more representative election they might have to accept the result when it's much more fun to whinge about it?

Obviously the new board members have to settle in and receive a full handover from the previous incumbent. However after the next board meeting I would expect a reasonable action plan together with targets and timescales.

Finally I am the only person who's noticed that neither David Pardoe or Matthew Turner are currently ECF members?
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:44 pm

What should we do next?

Easy. Someone should open a book on the first resignation. No way that Board of suppurating egos and personality disorders will hold together for long.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:01 pm

Andrew,
I am sure that you have also noticed that I have raised ten of thousands of pounds to support English juniors and still do as well as supporting Scottish juniors on a voluntary basis at various events.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:10 pm

Andrew,
If you dont like folk on here, who, incidentally dont have to be members of the ECF to actually participate, to voice there genuine very serious concerns over matters chess, then you can always sign off and join some other forum where they gag the voices they (or some), dont want to hear.
As Matthew has told you above, your beginning to sound like the village idiot.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:49 pm

I hesitated slightly before putting the last sentence of my previous post in. It was an observation, not an accusation.

Matthew, your contribution to British chess is not in doubt. My point was that, although the activity and policies of the ECF do to an extent affect everybody, the ECF board can ultimately only be held to account by its members.

David - of course you don't have to be an ECF member to voice your concerns about English chess on this forum. My point was that if the ECF elections you've repeatedly described as unrepresentative were held under OMOV you still wouldn't have had a vote.

I can't see Matthew calling me the `village idiot` above. I did see him calling for you to be banned from this forum second post down in this thread.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:26 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:Finally I am the only person who's noticed that neither David Pardoe or Matthew Turner are currently ECF members?
Me as well to be honest.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:52 pm

There are very few people who wish to be members of the ECF - why would you?
Perhaps the ECF need to address their priorities rather than going down a line of compulsory member to raise revenue for no purpose. If the ECF reduced the Office costs and increased the junior budget then you might find people electing to be members. I think Andy Paulson and Phil Ehr will try to move things in the right direction, we'll have to see whether they are able to do so.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:07 pm

So, Andrew..Carl....you`ve got access to my personal details (or not) regarding my ECF membership status, and you`d like me to publically justify my position??????
Data Protection??
I`ve emailed the ECF about this on several occasions and still await a reply.
Again...non of your d**n business really....
Now lets have a look at this Members register, which displays this data for all to see?
It currently says that about 60% have so far rejoined?
Are you idiots saying that 40% of members should be automatically excluded from voting just because they havent rejoined the ECF???
That figure might well have been nearer 60% at the start of this month?
What kind of voting system are you advocating?
Maybe Mr Paulson should publiclly declare all his business and other commercial/vested interests?
People have been raising concerns about these on here... re issues of perceived potential conflicts of interest and vested interests.
I wonder if the ECF have taken any legal advice on this, as regards Mr Paulsons suitability as a candidate for this senior position in the ECF?
Have they taken any legal advice as regards the validity of the current voting system, with all the perceived potential for abuses.
BRING BACK THE BCF

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:10 pm

I must confess I'm a member of the ilk instead.