Arbiter Courses

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Stewart Reuben

Re: Arbiter Courses

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu May 16, 2013 12:37 am

Returning to the original topic. It is an oddity that just two ECF people, more than most federations, are recognised by FIDE as qualified to conduct FIDE arbiter courses, but neither of these is recognised by the ECF as competent to conduct ECF arbiter courses. Thus it is impossible for an ECF Arbiter course also to be a FIDE Arbiter course.

Last year the USCF requested a paper be written on advice for arbiters for inexperienced players. I obliged, but FIDE have ignored this.

If a player is sitting at the board and the opponent moves, it is very odd to then leave the playing area. Warning bells should always then go off, though I hope not audibly. In Turkey 2000 Olympiad, a player thought for a long time. He moved and his opponent immediately responded. The player went to leave the board in order to go to the toilet. The arbiter stopped him. It was generally agreed that the arbiter was wrong.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Thu May 16, 2013 10:14 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:Thus it is impossible for an ECF Arbiter course also to be a FIDE Arbiter course.
I don't think this statement is accurate :o

There is currently one person on both lists.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun May 19, 2013 12:25 am

I should have written ENG people. I use this term to mean people who are registered with FIDE as England. Somebody registered as SCO, even though resident in England and a member of that federation, is not ENG.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:36 am

I gave up in despair at this thread, which for 95% of its existence so far has been off-topic.

However, I gather that there are no plans to run ECF Arbiter courses. Is there no need for new arbiters?

I would like to pass the necessary steps to achieve ECF Arbiter certification, but I see no realistic path to achieve that as being open to me at the present time.

Dan O'Dowd

Post by Dan O'Dowd » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:19 am

Perhaps Paul you could volunteer your services to local congresses to get norms as a first step? I am aware through those who have told me, so not at all officially, that some people have taken the ecf arbiter's exam during for example the British Championship before, and I would guess therefrom that those people simply had volunteered at so many congresses that they had the full and extensive pairing and Laws understanding required for such an undertaking. Thanks to the kind organisers of the British I may be able to gain one of my norms there itself, which would make a nice break from playing!

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:26 am

Paul could and should also take the online arbiter's test at http://www.certificateofmerit.org.uk/main.php. It is free and a pass mark of 16/20 would suggest likely adequate arbiting skills to pass either the ECF or FIDE exam. It is multiple choice and thus not suitable as a sole guide to competence as an arbiter.
Nothing can replace experience in the field.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:16 am

Hi Paul

"I would like to pass the necessary steps to achieve ECF Arbiter certification."

Why? these guys appear to on a hiding to nothing.
You only ever hear about them when they do something wrong.

Stewart mention one stopping a lad from going to the toilet.
No mention of the 999 things he did right, just what he got wrong.

In relation to that story.
I recall Andy Burnett telling me of a game where he was planning a Queen sacrifce
and had worked out all the finer details.
But nature, which had been calling for sometime could not wait any longer.

He approached an arbiter, (it may have been Alex) and said he badly needs the toilet
and when he comes back he will be saccing his Queen.
(he did not want to go to the toilet come back and suddenly sac his Queen which
is very understandable in the current climate.)

A relieved Andrew returned to the board, sacced the Queen on the next move and won.
Don't know if the controller witnessed the saccing of the Queen.

Good Luck if you go for it Paul and better luck in finding out how too.
(don't let me get my hands on your phone number mate, I'm often phoning up Alex with queries.)

Hmmm...what time is it? 04:15.
Think I call him now and ask him if Andy in the above scenario was bound by speech to sac that Queen.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:09 pm

Any progress on this?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:42 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Any progress on this?
I can only speak for FIDE Arbiters' Seminars.

My understanding is that no fewer than four FIDE Commissions, Rules and Tournament Regulations, Qualification, Arbiters' and Swiss Pairings Program, amended the Regulations within their respective remits. We have the text of the new Laws, but as yet not the final versions from the other three.

In the circumstances I've abandoned any plans to conduct a FIDE Arbiters' Seminar this autumn and I'm now looking to do so in Spring 2014.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:29 am

Only the RTRC remains true to the concept of changes to the Laws once every 4 years and they were thwarted even in that by the Presidential Board for 2013. Anyway, the Laws are now available to take effect from 1 July 2014. But, any arbiters course should not be teaching the new Laws at this time. It should be the current ones.
Were I conducting an arbiters' course, I would go ahead and not wait just for revisions. Courses should be conducted on the current regulations. If new ones were coming into effect within a month, I would also teach those.

The QC is changing the Rating Regulations for blitz and rapidplay AFTER they start rating online blitz and rapidplay. The intention is that blitz game played online and over the board will be represented by one number in the blitz rating list. Similarly with rapidplay. There will also be online bullet chess ratings.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:17 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Paul McKeown wrote:Any progress on this?
I can only speak for FIDE Arbiters' Seminars.

My understanding is that no fewer than four FIDE Commissions, Rules and Tournament Regulations, Qualification, Arbiters' and Swiss Pairings Program, amended the Regulations within their respective remits. We have the text of the new Laws, but as yet not the final versions from the other three.

In the circumstances I've abandoned any plans to conduct a FIDE Arbiters' Seminar this autumn and I'm now looking to do so in Spring 2014.
What are you missing from the QC?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:18 am

NickFaulks wrote:What are you missing from the QC?
I've sent you an email.

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:55 pm

Yes Paul
there is a local one in Hayes...just send me your cheque for £300 and I'll send you your certificate in the post
;)
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:59 am

i'm looking to do a course, as i'm doing my 1st congress and will there be any in the North west?
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:26 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:I would like to pass the necessary steps to achieve ECF Arbiter certification, but I see no realistic path to achieve that as being open to me at the present time.
I note that the 2014 British Chess Championship Organiser is advertising for licensed FIDE Arbiters including those looking to register a norm to become licensed.

It does seem to me that there are fewer obstacles going the FIDE route than ECF.

Passing the Arbiters exam is merely the first stage. Being sponsored by an ECF Senior Arbiter, unless you already work with one, appears to be the greatest hurdle.