Anand v Carlsen

The very latest International round up of English news.
Andrew Wainwright

Re: Anand v Carlsen

Post by Andrew Wainwright » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:30 pm

I can't wait for the match to start. Come on Magnus!!!

I have always had a lot of respect for Anand and was happy when he beat both Topalov and Gelfand. That said it is time for a change and Carlsen has been Word No.1 for long enough now to prove that he is the best tournament player in the world. But is he the best match player?

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:59 am

Just noticed that both players will be celebrating their birthdays during the match.

....er....that's it.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:45 am

http://www.chessvibes.com/3-reasons-why ... d-champion

I agree with this article - Carlsen has to be the strong favourite, he has never been in this situation before and is hungry for the title.

Also he's just so much younger and physically fitter, stamina is a huge factor in match play.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:00 am

TWIC has:
Carlsen seemed somewhat surprised that Viswanathan Anand revealed his team of seconds as Krishnan Sasikiran, Sandipan Chanda, Peter Leko, and Radoslaw Wojtaszek although three were already definitely known and apparently it wasn't a secret Leko worked with Anand in Moscow last year. Whilst this may be the entirety of Anand's team in Chennai there will no doubt be others he and his team are working with via Skype. Carlsen screwed his face up on hearing the names, probably not in surprise but more wondering what he was going to say.

"I appreciate Mr Anand's openness about his team and alas I'm not going to return the favour" - Carlsen.

"Since you can't believe the whole truth about anything either of us says it doesn't really matter. I can answer a question honestly and you'll never know whether that's the full truth or not and the same goes for him so it doesn't really matter too much." - Anand
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:26 am

Andrew Wainwright wrote:I can't wait for the match to start. Come on Magnus!!!
Is it really only nine hours to go until they start the first game? There must be some jaded cynics out there who refuse to pay any attention to all this malarkey around the World Chess Championship, but even they must be showing faint signs of interest. Wonder what it is like in Norway and India? :shock:

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:46 am

Magnus to win in 10.

I reckon Magnus will open with 1.g3 to take Vishy largely out of his prep. Kramnik has lately been playing like this with a lot of success.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:32 am

Got an error when trying to access the live game at the official site. Anyone have tips for sites that might have less load at the moment?

Peter Shaw

Post by Peter Shaw » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:43 am

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:55 am

Thanks. Though if that is video, I'm looking for a site that only has the moves and a game viewer.

Got this from the TWIC live pgn file:

Is a Reti a surprise choice? No idea what opening they are in now (I know very little about 1.d4 openings).

Maybe the games should be discussed in a new thread?

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:58 am

Great link Peter - you can actually rewind the Youtube coverage unlike on the main website.

I was pretty close with my opening prediction, he played the double fianchetto system that Kramnik has been using a lot lately.

They didn't shake hands at the start of the game - I didn't realise there was any animosity there between the players?

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:01 am

I quite like Anand's position after 10... Nb6.

Dewi Jones

Post by Dewi Jones » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:06 am

Thanks for the youtube link. Now I can watch it on my big tv instead of on the laptop :).

Plus the main site keeps crashing for me.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:07 am

Didn't like Nc3. e3 was much more solid.

Can't be doing with my pet openings turning up in World Championship matches though. People might start taking them a bit more seriously and knowing what to do against them... :roll:
Last edited by Richard Bates on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Jamieson

Post by Ian Jamieson » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:08 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Thanks. Though if that is video, I'm looking for a site that only has the moves and a game viewer.
Go back to the official site - they have given up on chessbomb and have replaced it with a game viewer

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:08 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:No idea what opening they are in now (I know very little about 1.d4 openings).
It's usually called the Neo-Gruenfeld. One common move order is 1. Nf3 Nf6 2. g3 g6 3. Bg2 Bg7 4. 0-0 0-0 5. c4 c6 6. d4 d5

Without 0-0 being played by either player, it turned up in game 13 of the KvK match in 1986. In that game Karpov elected to take on d5 immediately. Doing that, or maintaining the tension with b3 is White's major choice.