European Team Chs in Warsaw

The very latest International round up of English news.
LawrenceCooper

Re: European Team Chs in Warsaw

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:42 pm

Round 5:

9 10 GERMANY 8 4 : 5 9½ ENGLAND 5

1 GM NAIDITSCH Arkadij2727
2 GM MEIER Georg 2623
3 GM KHENKIN Igor 2612
4 GM BARAMIDZE David 2614
5 GM FRIDMAN Daniel 2600

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:57 pm

Round 5 women:

16 31 Finland 4 1 : 0 0 England 23

1 WIM Tuominen Tanja 2105
2 WFM Savola Laura 2076
3 WFM Puuska Heini 1982
4 Rautanen Sari 1956
5 WCM Nazarova Anastasia1727

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:35 am

I see it is Wales v Scotland in the Open
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mike W. Richardt

Post by Mike W. Richardt » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:38 am

GERMANY - ENGLAND
NAIDITSCH, Arkadij 2727 - GM ADAMS, Michael 2752
MEIER, Georg 2623 - GM SHORT, Nigel D 2680
BARAMIDZE, David 2614 - GM JONES, Gawain C B 2648
FRIDMAN, Daniel 2600 - GM HOWELL, David W L 2644

I usually would cheer for both teams and I think in this case I would do the same but a draw doesn't really cut it.

Ok, in this case I home that Germany (my home country) wins!!! *sorry*
Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri - I am not bound to believe in the word of any master
http://www.mikerichardt.co.uk

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:00 am

Round 5 women:

Bo. 31 Finland Rtg - 23 England Rtg 0 : 0
16.1 WIM Tuominen, Tanja 2105 - IM Ciuksyte, Dagne 2355
16.2 WFM Puuska, Heini 1982 - WGM Corke, Anya S 2276
16.3 Rautanen, Sari 1956 - WFM Grigoryan, Meri 2039
16.4 WCM Nazarova, Anastasia 1727 - WFM Bhatia, Kanwal K 2039

John Cox

Post by John Cox » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:07 pm

Golly. The game NN-Lyell from the last ladies' match deserves wider publicity. In fact I would say it was truly a contest for the ages. I don't think I've ever seen five minor pieces blundered during the course of a single game before, although obviously if I did see it then almost certainly the occasion was a ladies’ international team tournament of some kind. It's a shame Eddie Gufeld didn't live to see this day.

Indeed the game NN-Ciuksyte ran it close. By my calculations Black first fell into an opening trap known since the time of the dinosaurs; there then followed a fallow period of some thirty moves during which neither player blundered anything, and then White dropped a piece and dipped temporarily to -7 or so, after which Black replied with a volley of piece, exchange and finally queen.

Still, the blunders in that game didn’t have the one-move purity achieved in the other game. And needless to say none of them could match my own 19-point swing in the course of a single move in Rhodes.

The women are certainly justifying the decision not to bother with a coach for them, or alternatively showing how disastrous the decision not to bother with a coach for them was, depending on your point of view. Powerful evidence for something or other, anyway.

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:14 pm

actually Luke McShane was -26 against some opponent a few years ago (Luke was still 2650+)...the guy missed several mates and lost on time! I think he was about 2300 (from memory)...the occasion obviously got to him big time...wonder if he gave up chess after that?
I think it was an invitation event in Norway..?
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:22 pm

Do you really need a "coach" to stop making basic elementary blunders, though? :?:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John Cox

Post by John Cox » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:39 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:Do you really need a "coach" to stop making basic elementary blunders, though? :?:
Yes, you do. The chance of making a “basic elementary blunder” is considerably increased when you are under pressure from the opening and fall into time trouble as Dagne did.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:43 pm

Yes

1) Many of the mistakes happen when the players are in time pressure, a coach can improve the speed that the opening is played and so improve this aspect
2) A coach can help avoid opening traps
3) A coach can spot players weaknesses so help improve the position you get (mistakes come more often when a player is under pressure)
4) A coach can make a player more confident which is likely in turn to improve speed of play and cut down time trouble mistakes
5) A coach will help with the prep, which will take some of the strain off the player and make them less tired and so mistakes less likely
6) A coach can help ensure the player does not over work with their preparation and tire themselves for the game

Matthew Peat

Post by Matthew Peat » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:07 pm

I seem to recall that the German men's team won the last Euro championships without the services of a coach or proper payment from their Federation.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:12 pm

Matthew Peat wrote:I seem to recall that the German men's team won the last Euro championships without the services of a coach or proper payment from their Federation.
On the contrary I recall huge credit being given to the coaching provided by Rustam Kasimdzhanov. This compared somewhat favourably to England's lack of funding meaning they had to make do with me as a captain :oops:

"Sponsors were found to secure the participation of the "A-team" at the European Team Championship, and to hire Rustam Kasimdzhanov – former FIDE World Champion, but maybe more widely known as regular second of current world champion Vishy Anand – as opening coach."

http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/the-g ... ampionship

Matthew Peat

Post by Matthew Peat » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:23 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Matthew Peat wrote:I seem to recall that the German men's team won the last Euro championships without the services of a coach or proper payment from their Federation.
On the contrary I recall huge credit being given to the coaching provided by Rustam Kasimdzhanov. This compared somewhat favourably to England's lack of funding meaning they had to make do with me as a captain :oops:

"Sponsors were found to secure the participation of the "A-team" at the European Team Championship, and to hire Rustam Kasimdzhanov – former FIDE World Champion, but maybe more widely known as regular second of current world champion Vishy Anand – as opening coach."

http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/the-g ... ampionship
I stand corrected.

I wonder what arrangements the German team have this year as Baramidze seems to have forgotten his Dragon (which can't have been a massive surprise) theory against Jones.....

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:28 pm

The German players had a big row with their Federation, which they felt was spending money on Officials that could have been better spent on players/coaching - as Loz says, not necessarily the last Euros
Any postings on here represent my personal views

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:21 pm

Anyone got any insight into Nigel Short's playing 23. h3 rather than defending his b-pawn? Seemed a bit odd.