FIDE Presidential Board held in Chennai

The very latest International round up of English news.
NickFaulks

FIDE Presidential Board held in Chennai

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:47 pm

http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... ennai.html

Contains the following gem.

"Regarding the FIDE internet playing zone, it was agreed that the Presidential Board will follow the progress and continuously amend the rules and regulations, when necessary."

Remember that the internet playing zone is intended to subsume all rapid and blitz chess, and eventually all chess. This concept appears to have the support of both crews, Kirsan's and Gary's. The Statutes hammered out in Istanbul in 2012 contain in 7.1

"However, the Presidential Board cannot take decisions on the following:
changes to regulations of the Rules & Tournament Commission,
changes to regulations of the Qualification Commission,"

but I'm sure neither side cares about that.

The practical argument against the PB drafting regulations is that they are not set up to do that, and their previous attempts have proved unworkable. RTRC and QC are quite good at drafting regulations, but it seems thay will not be included in the process.

Roger de Coverly

Re: FIDE Presidential Board held in Chennai

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:38 pm

NickFaulks wrote: "Regarding the FIDE internet playing zone, it was agreed that the Presidential Board will follow the progress and continuously amend the rules and regulations, when necessary."
A problem they will face is that while in Over the Board chess, FIDE and National Federations have a near monopoly at serious levels anyway, in Internet chess, the competition have, for the longest established, something like a twenty year start.

The fundamental problem with internet chess whether live or turn based is the same as it was twenty years ago. As you cannot see your opponent, you do not know that he or she is not infringing the rules of the competition. A virtual board with a video Skype might help, but even there, you cannot see what they are doing out of sight of the camera.

In that light in the absence of arbiter or witness presence, it's only suitable for "friendly" chess. Whilst rating systems exist, you wouldn't want them amalgamated with ratings obtained under cheat free conditions. As a matter of principle, you play some games for training purposes. These should remain unrated. It's permitted on many servers for computers or engine assisted players to participate provided they are identified as such. FIDE might say that it's not permitted, but that's the market it is trying to compete in and with.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:43 am

You are correct that FIDE are a long way behind the opposition in the online chess market. That's why their trump card is to attach their version to the FIDE rating system. The fact that the parasite will kill the tree is too subtle for them to comprehend.

There are many sensible people on the commissions, but the PB is forever chasing after the next quick fix, especially in an election year. The real problem is that the federations always go along. The delegates gave their enthusiastic support to fast time controls and zero tolerance, and at the EB in Tallinn a room full of zonal presidents waved through this latest scheme without question.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:29 am

Time for another lawsuit. Better to bankrupt FIDE than to allow it to ruin chess.

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:43 am

What was achieved by the last lawsuit?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:18 pm

John T .What was achieved by the last lawsuit?<
FIDE changed quite a number of their ways of doing things. They could and should, of course, have done that without any lawsuits. They just don't seem to realise statutes can only be changed in a regulated manner. That should usually mean from a proposal made at the General Assembly and voted on.
Perhaps the Western world are too much sticklers for regulations and certainly the others give them too little regard.

Vice President Israel Gelfer did get the point when he asked at the EB in Tallinn whether the Laws of Chess could be amended in Tromso 2014 because of new difficulties that might arise concerning cheating. I assured him that, whenever there are new problems, the Laws can, if necessary, be changed. Not solely every 4 years.

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:45 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:John T .What was achieved by the last lawsuit?<
FIDE changed quite a number of their ways of doing things. They could and should, of course, have done that without any lawsuits. They just don't seem to realise statutes can only be changed in a regulated manner. That should usually mean from a proposal made at the General Assembly and voted on.
Perhaps the Western world are too much sticklers for regulations and certainly the others give them too little regard.

Vice President Israel Gelfer did get the point when he asked at the EB in Tallinn whether the Laws of Chess could be amended in Tromso 2014 because of new difficulties that might arise concerning cheating. I assured him that, whenever there are new problems, the Laws can, if necessary, be changed. Not solely every 4 years.
What do you think about Avrogadro's number Stewart?, or whether little baby boys have the inalienable right to keep the bodies, that they were born with?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:45 am

I don't know what Avrogadro's number's number is. If you mean Avogadro's number, it is
I used to know it as 600 thousand trillion, until they stole the meaning of billion and used it in place of milliard. I don't think FIDE had much to do with that. Nor, if I have read my bible correct, with the death of the first born. The Judgement of Solomon (my Hebrew name) seems also not to have been FIDE'S fault or achievement.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:56 am

I normally call that number 6*(10^23). Much easier to handle written that way.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:08 am

I didn't know that convention Jack. Must be a new-fangled thing and probably introduced by Kirsan. It is always good to learn new things, but I am invariably baffled by PeterTurland.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:27 am

PeterTurland wrote: What do you think about Avrogadro's number Stewart?,
Without wishing to be too picky, I believe you are referring to Avogadro's constant.

A number is a quantity without units.

Avogadro's constant has dimensions of reciprocal amount of substance and the current SI unit of amount of substance is the mole.

I had to mention this as the chances of discussing FIDE and the Le Système international d'unités in the same thread were, until today, somewhat low.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:35 am

There was me thinking it must be related to a green skinned fruit - I must have been getting confused, not really surprising as I once fell asleep in a physics lesson - someone nudged me and the teacher said well what's the answer? - yes I replied optimistically (it wasn't my lucky day) :oops:

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:09 am

Avogadro's constant is 6.022 141 79(30) x 10^23 mol ^-1 according to SI and IUPAC.

As SI now permit either a decimal "." or decimal "," (to keep the French happy), then large numbers are separated every three digits by a space. There is an exception for four-digit numbers, as "1 000" looks a bit silly. Before anyone panics, even in science hardly anyone uses this convention, partly because it messes up line-breaks and partly as it confuses databases, which tend to read 10 000 as 10.

FIDE may have their own views on this.

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:55 am

Stewart Reuben said:
FIDE needs to be influenced from within. Persuasion is what is called for, not force.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:25 pm

John Townsend wrote:

FIDE needs to be influenced from within. Persuasion is what is called for, not force.
Clearly that isn't the current ECF view, or they would send someone to the annual meetings.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.