A long time ago

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
PeterTurland

A long time ago

Post by PeterTurland » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:37 pm

Plato informed us of something, thousands of years ago, that we must seperate logic from emotion, what thinks or feels you?

PeterTurland

Re: A long time ago

Post by PeterTurland » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:04 pm

Is logic something we have an opion about?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:43 pm

PeterTurland wrote:Plato informed us of something, thousands of years ago, that we must seperate logic from emotion, what thinks or feels you?
I think or feel that this thread should be in the Not Chess section.

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:53 am

and maybe in a galaxy far, far away.

Colin S Crouch

Post by Colin S Crouch » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:17 am

And perhaps many billions of years ago, when the galaxies were not so far apart.
There is however a serious point to be made, and going beyond the "footnotes to Plato" idea.
Imagine that you are in a position in a game of chess, in which however hard you try, it is beyond your powers to make the best decision. What now?
Logic is not enough. What next?
Emotion? It can often be of great help, when finding ones way though a battle, but does not cut out mistakes.
A bit of cunning is often extremely useful, and a significant part by payers such as Lasker, Botvinnik, Tal and Carlsen (far less so, perhaps, than Kasparov, who relies heavily on the force of emotional willpower). The idea is that, yes, of course I make mistakes, but I do not know in advance how and when I will mistakes, but I need to develop ways to make it more likely for the opponent to make mistakes.
Perhaps more Darwin than Plato?